Today, almost any driver has such a device as a wrench. It is especially needed for truck drivers. Indeed, these machines are very large and with a conventional wrench it is quite difficult to cope with breakdowns, especially if the trouble happened on the road.
Wrench "meat grinder" - this is a very simple design. At its core is a cylinder-shaped body. It combines all the details, and also ensures their full interaction. Most often, such a housing is made of polymers or metal (steel). However, in some cases, it may be made of combined materials.
Inside it is a planetary gear. On its main part there is also a drive shaft, at the end of the handle of which there is a square. On the other side is the output shaft. It is on this shaft that all heads are installed so that you can work with fasteners. The wrench also has a lever with which you can stop the rotation in the process.
One of the main characteristics of such a tool is the gear ratio of a planetary gearbox or, in other words, a multiplier. It serves to convert torque. It is set in motion by a handle, which is why it is called a “meat grinder”.
Most often, on sale you can find wrenches with a ratio of 1 to 56 or 1 to 58. The torque should be from 2700 N * m to 3400 N * m. In addition, the wrench comes with two heads that can unscrew or tighten nuts from 27 to 58 millimeters.
Principle of operation
Having familiarized yourself with the fairly simple characteristics of a wrench, you need to consider how this device works.
- First you need to install the head of the required size on the wrench, and then fix it well.
- Then the head is put on the necessary part, that is, a bolt or nut.
- Next, you can begin to rotate the handle. In this case, this rotation is transmitted to the output shaft. The head itself rotates very slowly, however, at the same time, the torque amplifier helps to quickly cope with the given work. That is, unscrew or tighten the fasteners, which are almost impossible to handle manually.
- However, with such work it is necessary to know that the rotation of the unscrewed nut and the handle itself are directed in different directions.
Therefore, after the nut is torn off and it starts to go much easier, it is better to remove the wrench and unscrew the nut manually. This must be done so as not to break the thread or break the stud.
Advantages and disadvantages
Almost all the advantages of this design are associated with the multiplier, which converts and also enhances the torque. It is worth noting the following important features of the wrench.
- The design itself is quite simple, but at the same time durable and reliable.
- Using a “meat grinder” wrench, fasteners can be unscrewed very smoothly. In addition, this can be done with those parts that ordinary wrenches cannot handle.
- Such a wrench differs in small dimensions, therefore it is very convenient both in work and in transportation.
- It is autonomous.
- It’s quite convenient to work with such a tool, because people use very little effort, and the work moves very quickly.
- Repair work can be accelerated, which saves time.
One of the biggest shortcomings is considered by many to be a heavy weight wrench. However, this is not entirely correct, given that very strong metals are used in the manufacture of the tool, and therefore the weight increases. Accordingly, its strength will be several times greater. In addition, those people who do not adhere to the rules for using the tool, believe that the high power of the unit is also a drawback, because you can simply break the thread. Drawing a conclusion from all of the above, it can be noted that if all the recommendations are followed, you will not have to face the disadvantages of a wrench.
Not everyone needs a manual wrench for trucks, but for owners of large cars and service station workers it greatly facilitates the work. Such tools come in several types and types. They are divided into shock and shock-free, electric and battery. And also on tools with and without gear. To decide for yourself which wrench to choose, you need to find out basic information about all its varieties.
Such models are more suitable for domestic use. They work from the network, weigh little and at the same time do a good job. Most often they are purchased for small service stations, tire fitting, as well as for personal maintenance of cars. However, more expensive and powerful tools may even work for trucks. True, a powerful and good model will cost many times more.
These tools are widely used and are popular with many drivers. Cordless wrenches are found with different parameters, so you should choose them, focusing on the work that you have to cope with.
The battery in such designs is powerful enough, which makes it possible to change a whole set of wheels immediately even on a truck. However, when choosing, you need to pay attention to how long the charge can last. This is especially important for truckers, as a weak battery can drain on the road.
Strong enough wrench with excellent torque performance. However, the disadvantage of such models is the need to constantly connect them to the compressor. Most often they are used for work in large car dealerships, as well as in industries.
One of the most reliable options among all is considered a manual gear wrench "meat grinder". He can twist any necessary part without assistance. That is, he does not need a battery, or compressed air, or an electrician. Such a tool is often called wheeled, as it is used in tire fitting for trucks. Among his “colleagues”, he is the most sought after among truck drivers due to his reliability.
These wrenches are highly accurate and also have high torque. Most often they are used to work with very large fasteners precisely because of this. Such tools practically do not vibrate, in addition, they are quite durable. However, they are unsuitable for work in tire fitting. Unless as an additional tool that is used in the most difficult cases.
Hydraulic wrenches can be divided into two subgroups: union and cassette. The former are used in the most difficult cases: when the nut sits too tight or the fasteners become rusty. In this case, it is a powerful hydraulic wrench that helps to solve the problem.
Hydraulic cassette wrenches can “save” at a difficult moment. They allow you to handle hard to reach places. This is facilitated by their small diameter and flat shape.
Selection and operation tips
In order to be able to unscrew the nuts even on the road, it is best to use a wrench with a mechanical device. When choosing, you need to carefully study its characteristics so that they fully comply with the necessary requirements.
- In order for the wrench to last much longer, it is necessary to test it, be sure to lubricate it with specially purchased oil for this, and also check every part of the tool.
- After that, you need to fully assemble the wrench. To do this, put the head on the nut and install the stop lever as close as possible to the nut itself.
Next, you can begin to rotate the handle and do this until you can remove the nut from its place. After that, you need to rebuild the tool itself at a lower speed. After testing, you can begin any work that will be feasible for a wrench.
- Do not forget that the wrench must be looked after, as with any tool.
- It is necessary to remember about safety measures. Be sure to make sure that on the body itself, as well as on all elements of the multiplier, there are no cracks, sharp edges, or even sharp edges.
- Do not allow high loads when working with the tool. If you need to work for a long time, you can temporarily stop, giving the tool a rest.
- It is necessary to ensure that the handle itself is sitting very tight.
- If the hexagon is broken, in no case should you use such a tool.
- To extend the life of the wrench, it is necessary to conduct timely inspections, as well as repairs. It is better to do this in specialized salons, so as not to damage the tool yourself.
- All storage rules for the product must be observed. That is, make sure that neither water nor dirt gets into it. But if nevertheless this happened, immediately it is necessary to remove all impurities or wipe the water dry. In addition, immediately lubricate all parts so that they do not become rusty.
- When choosing the right tool, you should pay attention to such a parameter as torque. After all, if you choose the wrong model, then the nuts will be tightened more than necessary.
Considering the different types of tools, we can conclude that the "meat grinder" wrench is best suited for trucks. It is not only convenient to use, but also quite powerful. In addition, the tool will help to cope with any situation that happened on the road. It can also be purchased for tire fitting.
You can find out even more useful and interesting information about the "Meat Grinder" wrench from the next video.