In modern times, a large number of opportunities to make the room beautiful and cozy with a minimum amount of cost. One option is the use of drywall sheets, which will be discussed in more detail in this article.
Profiles are a very important element in creating any interior. In order for the structure to withstand GKL, the profile is made of steel or aluminum. Steel options are more popular, due to the fact that these are economy class models. Aluminum have better characteristics, but their price is not suitable for everyone.
There are two options for steel profiles - ordinary and with a protective layer. Normal profiles are not very durable, but they are cheaper. Such profiles are good to use for not very heavy structures, as well as in rooms in which there is not too much humidity.
For rooms in which humidity is higher, it is better to install galvanized or aluminum metal profiles.
Types of metal profiles
In any hardware store you can find a large number of different profiles. In order to choose the right one, one must understand how they differ from each other. The following types of structures are available:
The abbreviation for this profile is PN (guiding profile), it is also called the start profile. It has a p-shaped cross section. The walls of this profile are smooth. Most often, this product is used to support various jumpers and racks, it is placed inside the structure, and the rest of the dress is put on it later on. Dimensions: 28-27.50-40.60-27.75-50,100-40 mm.
Usually it is denoted by the abbreviation PS. This profile is inserted into the guides, the remaining parts are attached to these structures. The profile carries a large load, because of this it must be more rigid. He also has a structure in the shape of the letter P, it has additional shelves to strengthen the structure. Dimensions: 50-50.65-50.75-50.100-50 millimeters.
It is necessary to pay attention to one important fact. If the walls in the building have a fairly flat surface, then a rack-type profile is best fixed directly to the wall surface.
If the walls are not very smooth and have a strong slope in a straight line, then the profile should be installed on p-type fasteners.
The main designations of this model are PP and PPN (bearing and directing ceiling profile). This profile also has a cut that resembles the letter n, but its cut is much smaller than that of a wall profile. Inside this profile there are small shelves and additional ribs to make the frame of the structure more rigid. This profile also has a lower height, which saves space in the room. In addition, it is worth noting that the drywall, which is used for the ceiling, has a smaller thickness, which reduces the load on the profile.
It is worth paying attention that the transverse guides should be fixed so that the distance between the fasteners is not more than 900 millimeters.
In order to do this, you need to use the mounts on the springs and p-shaped brackets. To connect the jumpers more firmly, you can use crab clamps.
In rooms where chandeliers and other heavy structures are located, the frame should be made with additional transverse beams. This will protect the entire structure from collapse. The size of the ceiling models: 60x27.75x50 millimeters.
The profile has a more complex structure, it has cuts on the sides, increasing the flexibility of the structure. This aspect is an important plus for creating a flexible structure.
There are also a number of additional profiles. They are most often used to create a ceiling with a suspended structure and other decorative works.
To make the structure stronger in places of special bending, you can use a corner made of metal or plastic. This is necessary so that the structure can be bent at any angle. Corner whips can be from 2000 to 3000 millimeters. The width of each shelf can be of several types: 20.25.30 mm. The smallest bending radius of the structure should be at least 500 mm.
It is worth noting that the whips themselves are a rather expensive thing, and in order not to overpay 1000 rubles for each pipe, you can create it yourself.
For this, it is worth making many large cuts on the side ribs at a distance of 40-100 mm from each other.
- The cross-sectional metal profile forms a right angle in which the central part protrudes slightly. A profile is usually used to make out various drywall constructions. Most often it is used to design corners in the structure. There are several types of them:
- Two shelves with large and perforated holes that are needed to make the corner look aesthetically pleasing and become part of the plaster. At this angle the rest of the structure is held.
- There is a corner profile for drywall with a mesh inside. In order for adhesion to be better, a mesh can be glued inside the structure, on which the remaining parts will be held.
- Paper based corner profile. Two strips made of metal are glued to thick paper. It is usually used in structures that are subjected to maximum load, for example, in window openings, various niches.
- The beacon profile is used as a base for plastering, the main purpose of this device is to level the surface. This profile looks like a metal bracket. The width and height of this profile is small, the widest is 1-3 cm.
Another important element used in the design for leveling the surface with drywall is the suspension.
It also happens to be of several types.
- The perforated suspension looks like a metal tape measuring 125-60mm. The suspension is divided into three parts. The central part allows you to attach the product to the ceiling, the side ones are used to hold the rest of the structure. A 90 degree bend is also done.
- Anchor hangers are most often used to install suspended ceilings. The main advantage of this suspension is the height adjustment, which is very necessary for installing a suspended ceiling.
- The connector is single-level and two-level. This is a connector that is used to fasten profiles that cross. It is also needed in order to make a suspended ceiling.
- Profile extension - a device that is used in case there is not enough profile length. It looks like a bracket measuring 110-58 millimeters.
How to choose the right
In order to choose the right design, it is very important to pay attention to what the profile is made of. For drywall, galvanized profiles should be used. This is the most durable material. In order to distinguish a quality profile, you need to focus on various aspects.
To assemble a good profile, it is worth observing some nuances.
- It should be galvanized, zinc should be almost one hundred percent. In this case, the frame will almost never be subject to corrosion.
- Metal profiles, especially models for walls, must be very durable. The wall profile holds the main load, and the profile should align the wall well and not corrode.
- The ceiling profile must be thick, otherwise the structure will take up too much space. The size of the product is 0.4-0.6 millimeters.
Tips & Tricks
In the process of buying and operating, be sure to use the advice of professionals in the field of repair.
- It must be remembered that the walls and ceiling never differ in perfect evenness after roughing. In order to align the wall, you can use sheets of drywall, which should be at a certain distance from the wall. This will quickly align the wall without much loss of room space.
- There will always be a small space between the insulation and drywall sheets. This is necessary so that moisture does not collect between the wall and the structure. Between the sheets and the wall, a so-called air cushion is formed.
- There should be a gap between the wall and the drywall. This space is very important during construction, it allows you to accommodate a heater in this place.
- The frame is a necessary moment in the construction of arched structures, it is it that allows you to make the structure more flexible.
- Drywall sheets do not have a high strength threshold. If you need to fix some heavy structures, you should use a profile frame, without it, the structure will simply break. Fasteners must be in contact with the main frame.
It is also worth remembering that there are auxiliary profiles. They are used during finishing work along with drywall and come in several varieties.
- The reinforced thick profile is well suited for rooms in which there is a heavy partition between the doors. It is also well suited to increase structural rigidity. Most often they have a fixed length - 3000-4000mm, but if desired, you can buy a product with a length of 6000mm. The height of the edges is standard - 40mm, the wall thickness differs from ordinary profiles and is 2mm.
- Protective metal corner. It serves to protect corners from damage during operation. After carrying out installation work, the corner is putty, and also covered with finishing paint. In order to better penetrate the paint and solution, a large number of small holes are used. The length of such corners is the same - 3000mm.
There is another version of the protective corner, which is not put under putty, but covered with a plaster mortar. In order for it to penetrate better, a special mesh is used.
Fasteners and various connecting elements
During the manufacture of the frame, it is very important to correctly connect the structure. Sometimes this can be done quite simply by inserting profiles into each other, but this is not always possible. In this situation, it is worth using fasteners of various types:
- Two-level connectors. This design is needed in order to connect two parts, at an angle of 90 degrees in a different plane. Most often, these parts are made of galvanized steel in the form of a flat scan. Before starting installation work, this thing will need to be bent manually at the desired angle, the width of such a connection is 60 mm. In order to fix the structure, screws must be screwed into the side parts.
- Single-level connectors or "crabs". These mounting systems are used to connect two identical models at an angle of 90 degrees. They can be found in almost any store in the finished form. Install this part will not be any problem, it just clicks on the back of the structure.
If the load on the frame does not exceed 20 kg per square meter, then the usual latch is enough to fix the structure. If the load is greater, then to strengthen the fixation, it is worth using self-tapping screws.
They are used during installation of various structures that are used for ceiling and fastening of vertical type profiles to the wall. These products can be found in any store. They are made in the form of flat plates, and to install them, you will have to bend them manually in the form of the letter P.
To attach a vertical or rack profile, it is worth putting it between the suspension, and use self-tapping screws for fastening. The standard height is 125 millimeters, but you can also find non-standard sizes of suspensions - 75 or 100 mm. The load on this design cannot exceed 40 kg.
Anchor or spring suspensions
They are used only in situations when it is necessary to dismantle a suspended ceiling. These designs allow you to adjust the height of the ceiling and are usually used for high ceilings. The length of these suspensions can be 200-300 millimeters. The maximum load can be 25 kilograms, if the load is more, it is worth using additional fasteners.
How to identify marriage
The following types of marriage are among the profiles for GLK.
- The metal does not have the required thickness. This drawback is very significant. The strength of the structure depends on the thickness of the metal.
- If there are traces of rust, it is also worth paying attention to them. This means that the metal is poorly processed, which also leads to negative results.
- Wrong sizes. This is one of the most unpleasant types of marriage, because of which it is impossible to assemble the structure correctly.
- A bad notch is also a minus, because it is difficult to screw the screws correctly.
The main thing that you need to pay attention to when repairing using drywall sheets is the right choice of frame.
You should also calculate the weight of the structure in advance, since the choice of profile and fixing systems for it depends on it. If you choose everything correctly, then the repair will not be special problems.
For more information about the types and sizes of profiles for drywall, see the video below.