Choosing a reliable and high-quality washing machine is not an easy task. Finding the perfect model is difficult because of the huge and ever-growing range of multi-functional units of various types. Choosing the perfect machine, you need to take into account its technical characteristics and design features. It is important to know whether the equipment works from a belt or direct drive. In this article we will talk about the second option and find out what its pros and cons are.
Nowadays, automatic washing machines are presented in a huge assortment. Each consumer has the opportunity to choose the perfect model for himself with all the necessary functions and configurations. Direct drive devices are very popular today.
Direct drive means direct connection of the rotor with the axis of the drum. In such a device there is no belt system.
Instead, a special coupling is provided. There are no brushes on the surface of the engine in such washing machines, since in this case they are not necessary.
The specified technology is called Direst drive. This name is given because the inverter motor is responsible for the rotation of the tank, and the speed is set by electromagnetic waves from the control board. Located under the hatch, the engine “reads” the mass of all things loaded for washing and automatically adjusts the optimal power indicators in automatic mode.
Advantages and disadvantages
Direct drive in modern washing machines is most preferred. Such systems are in demand, consumers choose them more often than belt ones. The popularity of direct drive in household appliances is not surprising, because it has a lot of advantages. Get acquainted with them.
- One of the main advantages of direct drive is the lack of a large number of small parts that quickly fail. Belt varieties cannot boast of such a feature.
- Cars equipped with direct drive operate quietly without causing irritation to households. All that can be heard from such a technique is the slight rustling of things spinning in a drum. Belt models, however, usually work loudly and with strong vibrations.
- Direct drive washing machines are highly resistant. Due to this, the work of the drum in the device is more balanced and high quality.
- In the process, direct-drive cars vibrate very little. Such a positive effect is achieved due to the qualitative balance and stability of the unit. In such conditions, things stretch better and get rid of pollution.
- Motor in such household appliances there is no need to regularly clean, lubricate and repair, as well as call professional repairmen or visit the service of the company that produced the unit.
- In automatic mode, it is possible to determine the level of drum load and the mass of laundry placed inside. This helps to select the ideal power indicators and the required volume of water to avoid unnecessary waste.
- Machines with direct drive are compact in combination with good capacity. In their design there are no belts, no brushes, no pulley, due to which it becomes possible to expand the drum while reducing the body base.
- When purchasing direct drive technology, a 10-year engine warranty is often given. Of course, in addition to the engine, there are many other important details in the design of washing machines, so this plus can be considered controversial.
- Direct drive machines typically provide faster washing. The cycle here can scroll much faster due to the inverter type engine.
- When operating washing machines with direct drive, you can significantly save on energy costs. This advantage is ensured by the exclusion of certain elements from the rotation chain and the possibility of automatic control of the required power.
Modern washing machines equipped with direct drive have not only advantages, but also disadvantages. Let's consider them in more detail.
- Such units are more expensive than belt units. This applies to the washing machine itself and its spare parts.
- This technique is characterized by dependence on uninterrupted electricity. The inverter motor is controlled by electronic systems that are very vulnerable to power surges. It is advisable for users to play it safe and connect a special stabilizer to the units.
- In such washing machines, there is often an oil seal. With direct transmission, the motor is located under the tank, so leaks often occur when the gland is replaced incorrectly. Water entering the engine leads to serious malfunctions up to complete burnout. Usually the warranty for such damage does not apply, and users have to pay for expensive repairs of household appliances themselves.
- In direct drive machines, bearings wear out much faster. Without a pulley and belt, absolutely all the load from the spinning drum falls on the bearings located in close proximity. This increases their erasure, which is why these parts often have to be replaced with new ones.
When buying a washing machine with direct drive, you must consider all its advantages and disadvantages.
Knowing about them, a person will be able to use the equipment correctly and will be more attentive to vulnerable details.
Differences from Belt Drive
Washing machines in which there is a direct drive or a special belt have many differences. Focus on the main points.
- In direct drive there is a direct connection of the rotor and drum axis. In the case of belt units, the belt connects the pulley of the tank and the engine, due to which the drum rotates and stops.
- The engine in models with direct drive is located under the tank and leads to severe friction of adjacent parts - bearings. In belt versions, special brushes are used, which are designed to smooth out friction, as well as limit the transmission of current.
- The difference between belt and direct drive models lies in the price. The first options are usually cheaper than the second.
- Direct drive washers are usually more spacious. But belt instances can not boast of this, since in the design of the equipment a lot of space is allocated for the installation of brushes, belts and a pulley.
- Models of belt-type washing machines usually work quite loudly, creating strong vibrations. For units with direct drive, this problem is not typical.
- In direct-drive cars, more powerful engines are installed compared to non-drive devices.
- Structures without a belt drive are more stable, therefore, models with direct drive are more balanced than instances in the construction of which there is a belt.
- Repair of a belt machine is always cheaper than repairing modern copies with direct drive.
Both direct drive technology and belt drives have their own strengths and weaknesses. Each customer decides which option suits him best.
Subtleties of repair
It happens that in cars with direct drive the drum does not spin. A similar problem may occur for the following reasons:
- the sensor is out of order;
- the fault lies in the control module or engine of the machine;
- The drum bearing is worn.
The bearing can be replaced independently with a new one that is suitable for a specific model of the device. If we are talking about more complex system failures or problems with the engine, then it is better to entrust the device repair to specialists. Direct drive devices may stop spinning. This happens due to a breakdown of the sensor or engine, problems with the control module. A simple user is unlikely to fix such problems himself, so a trip to the service is inevitable.
If the spin does not occur due to overloading the tank, then it is enough to remove unnecessary things. Or report if there are too few of them in the drum.
In the event of any malfunction, automatic direct-drive cars usually signal this on an informative display. So the user can find out exactly what the problem is, what actions should be taken. You should not repair such equipment yourself if you do not understand anything in its device, and the machine is still under warranty. In such cases, you need to visit a service center.
High-quality machines with direct drive produce such well-known brands.
- LG. It produces excellent machines with electronic control, economical consumption of water and electricity. The equipment is high-quality and durable, equipped with a large number of desired modes and programs.
- Samsung This brand offers durable and practical devices with an attractive design, a large tank capacity, and a high level of comprehensive security.
- Bosch It produces high-quality machines with direct drive, having an improved functional "filling", good spin power, economical consumption of water and electricity. The equipment can have not only large, but also compact dimensions.
Which motor is better, or what is the difference in the motors of washing machines, see below.