Cordless reciprocating saw is a popular tool and is widely used in various fields of human activity. The popularity of the device is due to its ease of use, low weight and safety in use.
The reciprocating saw on the battery is a modern cutting tool that looks like an electric jigsaw. However, the power and operational capabilities of the saw are much higher than that of a jigsaw, which greatly expands the scope of its application, making the device a frequently purchased tool. The power source of the battery models are lithium-ion and nickel-cadmium batteries, one charge of which is enough for 1-4 hours of continuous operation of the device.
The main advantage of such models is their autonomy and mobility. And if the power saw requires a nearby constant voltage source of 220 V, then the battery products do not need outlets and are able to be operated in the field. Such devices, unlike network devices, do not have an electric wire, which makes it possible to use them when performing work in hard-to-reach places and confined spaces. Cordless reciprocating saws have an elongated shape and are compact and streamlined.
Moreover, when sawing the material, only the cutting blade comes into motion, and no translational movements by the tool body are required.
This is very convenient when cutting pipes or beams located close to the wall, and distinguishes saber-like models from other saws. And it should also be noted that deformation processes or heating of pipes in the sawing process does not occur. This is one of the main advantages of a reciprocating saw over a grinder, when working with which a huge number of sparks are formed, which can lead to a fire. Another important advantage of reciprocating saws is the ability to cut timber and boards with nails and screws in them. The device easily copes with metal, providing an even and smooth cut.
But like any other tool, battery samples have their weaknesses. They include a lower power in comparison with network devices, which somewhat limits their scope, not allowing them to be used in work with particularly hard materials. The minuses include a not-too-long continuous operation time limited by the battery charge time. A disadvantage is the weight of devices that exceed the weight of mains electric saws. This is due to the presence of the battery, significantly weighing the device.
However, despite a number of minuses, the scope of use of cordless reciprocating saws remains very extensive. The functional capabilities of the device are so wide that it quite effectively replaces tools such as an electric saw, delimbers, grinders, jigsaws, circular saws and chainsaws. With its help, sawing of wood, plastic, drywall, sheet metal, pipes, metal tiles and other roofing materials is performed.
Therefore, the saw is often used in the implementation of carpentry, construction, plumbing and roofing, as well as when performing repairs and installing windows and doors. Moreover, the tool acts as an indispensable assistant for the care of the garden, where it is used to prune fruit tree branches and shrubs. With the help of saber saws, figured cutting of glass and tile is carried out, and they are also used in the installation of air conditioning and heating systems.
Reciprocating saw is simple enough: it consists of a durable plastic case with a built-in electric motor, powered by a battery. In front of the device there is a support platform called a shoe and made in the form of a small metal structure. The shoe is responsible for the accuracy of sawing and has an adjustment of the angle of inclination and departure, which allows you to set the depth of cut necessary for each specific material. In most models, the adjustment is keyless using the lock.
Another important element of a reciprocating saw is a chuck designed to hold and fix the saw blade. In budget models, the unscrewing of the cartridge for replacing the file is carried out using a hex key, in expensive models, using the lever or side button.
There are two ways of fixing the file in the cartridge: in professional devices, the blade can be set with teeth not only down but also up, which allows you to perform complex technical tasks, while in household samples of the economy class, the blade stands only with teeth down.
The principle of operation of reciprocating saws is as follows: the torque of the motor is converted into translational-reciprocal movement of the rod, which, in turn, moves the working blade forward and backward. Many reciprocating models are equipped with a pendulum stroke system, which consists in the fact that with the reverse stroke of the rod the working blade rises slightly above the material. Due to this feature, the saws do not heat up during operation and serve for a very long time. The number of sawdust during pendulum travel is significantly reduced, which allows you to keep the workplace in relative cleanliness. Moreover, the pendulum system makes it possible to perform not only longitudinal cuts, but also curved cuts in the transverse plane with an angle of up to 45 degrees.
The main operating parameters of the reciprocating saws on the battery are the voltage and capacity of the battery, as well as the stroke frequency and the length of the working blade.
- Battery voltage is a very important indicator and determines the power of the device. In professional samples, batteries with a voltage of 18 to 54 V are installed, while in household samples, batteries of 10.8 V are more often. The battery capacity is responsible for the duration of the tool on a single charge, measured in ampere-hours and varies depending on the type Battery from 2 to 5 A. h.
So, especially powerful professional models with a battery capacity of 4 to 5 A. h are able to work without recharging up to five hours. Therefore, when choosing a tool, you first need to focus on the type of battery. So, the best power sources include lithium-ion and lithium-polymer models, not burdened with the “memory effect”. This allows them to be charged at any stage of the battery discharge, without waiting for it to fully discharge.
- The stroke frequency of the working blade affects the performance of the device and varies from 0.3 to 3.5 thousand cycles per minute. Almost all reciprocating saw models are equipped with a function of adjusting the stroke frequency, which allows you to set the value necessary for sawing a specific material. This approach avoids the formation of chipping and the effect of "torn edges" during cutting.
- The length of the working blade is also an important technical parameter of reciprocating saws. The most convenient for work files are considered to be from 16 to 24 cm in size. Usually this length is enough to perform most of the carpentry and construction work.
The classification of cordless reciprocating saws is based on their functionality, distinguishing two categories of devices: industrial (professional) and household models. The former have a large working resource and are made of especially durable wear-resistant materials. This allows them to withstand heavy loads and work without breakdowns for a long time. Rechargeable batteries of such models are characterized by high capacity and voltage, do not have a "memory effect" and are equipped with protection against overheating.
Household saws for high regular loads are not designed, so the materials of their manufacture are not particularly stringent requirements. During operation, it is recommended that they be given the brief respite necessary to cool the engine. However, in general, they fully cope with work on a summer cottage or in a home workshop, and with proper operation they can last up to 10 years.
Rating of the best models
The modern market presents cordless reciprocating saws in a wide range. Among them there are both inexpensive models of little-known firms, and branded devices of famous manufacturers. Below is an overview of the most popular samples, based on consumer reviews and online store popularity ratings.
- In the first place in recognition and relevance is the light Japanese mini-model Makita JR105DZ . The device is equipped with a 10.8 V lithium-ion battery and a capacity of 2 A. h, it is capable of cutting workpieces up to 5 cm thick and weighs 1.1 kg. The saw has an electronic speed controller and LED backlight, which allows you to work in the dark. The stroke frequency is 3300 cycles per minute, and the cost of the model varies from 5 020 to 5 800 rubles. Warranty 12 months.
- In second place is the device of the American brand, manufactured in China, DeWALT DCS380M2 . The tool is equipped with the function of 4-position clamping of the blades, which allows cutting in any direction, and is equipped with an open adjustable sole, which provides good stability of the device and a wide overview of the cut line. The XR series lithium-ion battery has a voltage of 18 V and a capacity of 3 A. h. The blade is replaced by a keyless method, the weight of the device is 3.3 kg, and the stroke frequency is 2950 cycles per minute. The cost of the unit is 27,170 rubles.
- Next up is the DeWALT DCS388N brushless model , designed for sawing wooden workpieces, steel profiles and pipes. Like all brushless saws, the device has a long service life and a large motor resource. The model is equipped with a 54 V XR FLEXVOLT lithium-ion battery, which gives it the highest power and performance. For work in darkened areas, LED backlighting is provided. The depth of cut of wood reaches 30 cm, metal - 13 cm. The weight of the device is 3.6 kg, the cost is 19 000 rubles.
In addition to the obvious three leaders, Dexter, Ryobi, Metabo and Bosch saw blades are in stable demand, equipped with lithium-ion or nickel-cadmium batteries, which have high reliability and a long service life.
Subtleties of choice
Before you start buying a cordless reciprocating saw, you must determine in what mode it will be operated. So, if the instrument is purchased for professional work, then it is better to choose a model with a powerful lithium-ion battery with a capacity of at least 4 A. h. Such devices are able to work on a single charge for 30% longer than their analogues with batteries in 2.5-3 A. h.
Lithium batteries do not remember the charge level at which they were charged the previous time. Due to this, such devices, unlike nickel-cadmium ones, can be recharged during operation as necessary. And also for a professional tool, it is desirable to have a pendulum system that protects the working blade and allows you to make angle cuts. It will also be worthwhile to pay attention to the frequency of the saw’s stroke, remembering that the harder the material being processed, the higher this indicator should be.
An ideal option would be a model equipped with a speed controller.
Another important condition for choosing a professional tool is its weight and ergonomics. It is desirable that the device was equipped with an anti-vibration system, had the function of keyless replacement of the files and had a convenient non-slip handle. A pleasant bonus of a professional tool will be the availability of additional functions. They have no effect on the quality of work, but, of course, they can increase the comfort and usability of the saw.
Such options include a battery charge indicator, LED backlight, a thermal relay that turns off the device in case of an overload, and a safety clutch. The latter does not allow unpleasant recoil of the tool when the working blade is jammed. The presence of a soft start is also welcomed, starting the tool without sharp jerks and vibrations, as well as a coasting brake that stops the movement of the blade as soon as the start key is released. The latter option prevents accidental damage to the workpiece and increases the safety of using the tool.
When choosing a household model, strict criteria do not exist. The device is selected based on purpose, intensity of use and financial capabilities.
So, for pruning knots in the garden, a very simple budget model is suitable, while for working in the home workshop you should choose a more powerful model with a battery capacity of at least 2.5 Ah.
In order for the cordless reciprocating saw to last as long as possible, and its operation be convenient and safe, a number of simple rules must be observed.
- Before proceeding to sawing, it is necessary to clean the workplace from foreign objects.
- Work should be carried out using personal protective equipment: glasses and gloves.
- The workpiece must be securely fixed with carpentry clamps. Metal products do need to be clamped in a vice.
- If the work is carried out together, it is necessary to ensure that the partner's hands are not closer than 20 cm from the cutting surface.
- Working with the instrument on weight is strictly prohibited.
- In case of clamping the blade in the cut, the tool should be removed in a horizontal plane on itself. It is forbidden to take out the file in the upward direction on the already completed cut.
- Do not allow the saw to fall out of your hands. It is also not allowed to place the device on the edge of the table (workbench) or on a sloping surface.
- Using the saw to persons under the age of 18 is prohibited.
The following video will tell you how to replace the stem on a reciprocating saw.