Alcohol stain for wood allows you to protect the material from excessive moisture, to prevent the propagation of destructive microflora, and also to give the product a beautiful intense color. The stain will allow you to update the wooden surfaces and give the whole room a new look.
The principle of action of the substance
A colored or transparent stain on alcohol deeply penetrates the structure of wood and creates a special film on the inside and outside of the product.
Due to this, the wood fibers rise and the structure of the material becomes more prominent.
An alcohol stain can be obtained by diluting aniline dye in denatured alcohol. The substance can be purchased in the form of a powder or a ready-made mixture.
The main advantage of the alcohol stain is the quick drying time of the layer applied to the wood surface. But this property can also be attributed to the disadvantages of an alcohol-based substance.
In order for the surface to evenly absorb the applied tone, it is necessary to use a spray gun, otherwise (with the manual method of tinting) greasy spots appear on the surface.
In order to maximally reveal the structure of a tree or to “age” it, the surface can be treated with liquids of different colors. By diluting several varieties of stains, you can get the colors “Arctic oak” or “bleached oak”.
Before applying alcohol stain to the surface, you need to test it on a small area of the board. This is how you can determine the desired tone and the number of layers applied.
It should be borne in mind that hardwoods absorb stain well, and conifers, due to the presence of a large amount of resin, are worse.
Before choosing a tool for applying a substance to a tree, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- The choice of tools depends on the footage of the treated surface. For small areas, a brush or foam swab is suitable. For large surfaces it is better to use a pneumatic sprayer. When using a sprayer, the likelihood of oil stains and smudges is reduced.
- In order for the color of the tree to acquire a saturated shade, it is necessary to apply a few words of the tinting substance. The second and subsequent layers can be applied only after the final drying of the previous ones. The same rule applies to the finish layer.
- You need to paint the surface with wood fibers. Thanks to this, you can emphasize the pattern, avoid smudges and reduce stain consumption.
- Stain should be of the correct consistency.
- The varnish coating does not need to be applied twice to the same place, then too dark patches can be avoided.
- An alcohol stain requires a maximum of 3 hours to dry.
- The rules for applying the substance for exterior and interior decoration are the same.
Among the most popular manufacturers of alcohol-based stains, there are three companies whose products delight customers with a price-quality ratio:
Products presented by the Novbytkhim St. Petersburg company can be used for tinting door leafs, baseboards and handrails indoors, as well as veneer and plywood products.
Among the advantages of stain produced by this company, the following can be noted:
- does not require varnish;
- not washed off with water;
- easy to polish;
- emphasizes the pattern of wood;
- prevents swelling of the coating;
- gives a wood surface non-combustible properties.
Anles company produces alcohol stains, the main purpose of which is to give the tree protective properties and a certain color that mimics a different tree species. The substance does not form a film on the surface of the product, but penetrates the structure of wood, which emphasizes the natural pattern of natural material.
When working with a stain from the company "Anles" you must observe some conditions.
The temperature in the room should not be lower than +5 degrees, and humidity less than 80%. The wood surface must be completely dry before processing.
The liquid from the Expert brand is suitable for treating wood surfaces indoors and outdoors, for tinting furniture, railings, log surfaces, doors.
The substance penetrates deep into the material, allowing you to recreate imitation on valuable wood species.
Colors of stains presented: maple, mocha, oak, mahogany, larch.
See the next video for more on stain.