When a summer resident hears the word "electric skewer" with experience, most often he frowns with displeasure. It is impossible to imagine barbecue without haze and without the smell of a fire. But many live in urban apartments and are rarely chosen for nature. This does not mean that you need to give up such pleasure as barbecue. In addition, meat can turn out no less juicy and tasty, if you choose the right electric skewer. Modern Russian and foreign manufacturers offer a huge selection of models and configurations of a portable electric grill. The main thing is to figure it out.
When choosing a portable home barbecue, pay attention not only to the material from which it is made, but also to the power. The speed of cooking dishes on skewers or on the grill will directly depend on this. For example, a simplified version with a capacity of 600 watts "is in no hurry" and is able to cook a small amount of meat. And if you have a large company of friends and household - choose a particularly powerful barbecue for 2600 watts. She is able to cook a large number of products in literally 10-20 minutes. The “golden mean” will be the power of the electrical unit from 1 to 2 thousand watts.
There are vertical and horizontal devices portable grill.
In the first, the heating element is fixed in the middle, and from 5 to 10 skewers rotate around it. The metal casing reflects heat, so the meat is cooked in its own juice. In addition, a metal casing protects a person from burning hot fat on the skin, and kitchen walls from greasy plaque.
Horizontal options for barbecue, in fact, are electric barbecue or grill , while they are more compact in size and quite roomy. And this means that in the horizontal barbecue you can cook 2 times more products than in the vertical, sorting them into numerous “shelves”. In horizontal models, the heater can be on top and bottom. As for the number of skewers - you choose, because this indicator depends on the number of guests.
Each electronic barbecue for the home has its own nuances and additional functions that directly affect the cost of the product. Each model has rotating skewers, while the advanced ones have an automatic grill function, a timer, mechanical rotation of skewers every 10 seconds and so on. You can learn more about the functions of individual models in our manufacturers review.
Electric barbecue skewers also vary in type of heating element.
The most common heating element, since it is durable even with heavy use of the unit , its only drawback is the large amount of electrical energy consumed. The advantages of a quartz tube are quick heating and, consequently, less time spent on cooking. In addition, this heating element is unpretentious in maintenance and easy to clean. A ceramic heating element will reduce energy consumption and provide a barbecue or electric grill with a long service life, but the price leaves much to be desired.
One of the key characteristics of the electric skewer is the choice of material. Not only the cost of the finished product depends on this, but also its durability and reliability. Stainless steel models are more dimensional and heavy, but durable and will serve you faithfully for many years, even with heavy use of barbecue.
Aluminum structures are inexpensive and compact , they are suitable for those who need regular transportation of the electric barbecue. Of course, the price of barbecue is also dependent on the material. Stainless steel models are more expensive than aluminum. In addition to the metal part of the case, some electric skewers use a heat-resistant glass surface and ceramic heating elements.
The vertical and horizontal versions of the electric skewers are of course different in size. Among the vertical ones, there are enough mini-models that are designed for a small load of meat (up to 1 kg), and the number of skewers is usually from 5 to 10. But such a barbecue is not prepared so quickly due to the low power of the device. But mini grills have their own pluses - they can be transported folded or disassembled without any problems.
Horizontal electric barbecue grills are usually more bulky and can provide a large company with aromatic barbecue , as a single loading of meat and other products can range from 2 to 8 kg, and the number of skewers can reach 20. Accordingly, choose a model depending on which the number of people you expect to call out for barbecue.
Rating of the best kebabs based on customer reviews. It can be noted right away that vertical models are more popular among our compatriots, therefore, the main attention will be paid to them. Since barbecue is a product for the domestic consumer, most of the units are domestic. At the same time, there are also Chinese products in stores that are oriented to the Russian market.
- Chinese electric skewer Mystery MOT-3321 with a capacity of 1500 watts can work both in barbecue mode and in grill mode. You can cook skewers on skewers, steaks in pallets, meat, vegetables, poultry and fish on the grill. The unit chamber volume is 21 liters, it contains 7 skewers, 2 grills and a rotisserie for grilled chicken. And also the model is equipped with a drip tray where fat flows, heat-resistant glass with internal illumination and reliable non-slip legs. A timer of up to 60 minutes will allow you to adjust the cooking time of a particular dish and not check every 5 minutes when it finally cooks.
- The Kavkaz-2 model of Russian production has proven itself from the best side, as evidenced by many positive reviews on the Internet. This robust stainless steel construction has a power of 1 thousand watts and is equipped with a special screen that serves to evenly fry foods. Such an electric skewer is designed for a small load of meat, since it has only 5 skewers and, accordingly, as many bowls for collecting fat under them. In one approach, you will be able to cook a maximum kilogram of meat.
The advanced Kavkaz-XXL model is durable and roomy. It features high power and performance.
The impressive size of the kebab is unlikely to allow you to transport it, but it pleases you with a large amount of meat that can be cooked in one go, and a sufficient number of skewers - 8. With such a mini barbecue with a capacity of 1800 watts, cook 1.5-2 kg of meat or vegetables for large a hungry company is not a question.
- The Chinese electric unit Smile GB 3313 attracts attention with its compact size and light weight. It thought out the automation of the cooking process, there is a built-in timer for 40 minutes. The only drawback is that the body needs to be thoroughly washed after cooking, as it is not removable.
- The Russian-made Picnic model can cook up to 1.5 kg of meat at a time. The case has an original design, and a nichrome wire under quartz glass acts as a heating element. On the perimeter of the heater, you can put 6 skewers, there are also bowls for draining the juice. All elements are removable, which means that the design is easy to maintain and care. The meat is automatically turned over, so you can be sure that your kebab will not burn.
- The Kitfort KT-1402 unit will allow to cook a rather large amount of meat (up to 2 kg) in order to feed a hungry company of friends and household. Skewers are equipped with handles with thermal insulation, so you will not get burned, even if the kebab is heated. And the frequent rotation of skewers around its own axis at a speed of 12 revolutions per minute allows you to cook a barbecue with a delicious ruddy crust, which certainly will not burn anywhere.
- Skewer Russian-made "Neptune 001" is convenient to use not only thanks to the ergonomic case, but also a removable handle, with which the unit can be moved from place to place. The only drawback is the large weight, so the design is not intended for transportation.
- The electric brazier "Miracle ESH-8" is quite compact and lightweight so that you can take it with you on a trip. At the same time, the power of the unit (1450 W) is sufficient to fry 1.8 kg of meat in just 20-30 minutes. This is an excellent ratio of functionality, value and high quality.
- The Russian-made unit called Aromat has many good reviews due to its affordable cost and compactness, because its weight is only about 2 kg. The grill effect provides infrared radiation - for example, a kilogram of meat can be fried in just 15 minutes. Thus, the cooking process, like the washing process, is as simple as possible here.
Horizontal models tend to hold more meat.
They can work both on the principle of barbecue with skewers, and can be a kind of grill or barbecue with grills.
- Of the compact barbecue at an affordable price, we note the Akel AB 670 model . In fact, this is a 3-in-1 unit, which combines the functions of a barbecue, grill and barbecue. The device is equipped with 6 skewers, a barbecue grill and a special drip tray. It will take you about 20 minutes to cook meat delicacies in such a mini barbecue.
- Barbecue Tristar RA-2993 is a unique multi-functional device with many advantages over other models. This is a durable and durable stainless steel case, large grill plates, and below them a horizontal barbecue with the possibility of using up to 10 skewers at once.
- Well-known manufacturer Tefal offers to pay attention to an interesting model of the original design GC450B32. A distinctive feature of this electric skewer is the ability to adjust the temperature. Not every unit is equipped with this function, which means you will have a great opportunity to choose the intensity of roasting meat to your liking. Since the design is very compact, you can easily transport it if necessary.
What to look for when choosing?
We select the electric skewer together and indicate what to look for in order to become the owner of the best unit. Of course, the power (the higher it is, the faster the machine works, and the more kebab you can cook). But the location of the heating element is also important. If it is on the side, you will get less meat, as the skewers will be shorter. And with the central location of the glass spiral in a very short time, you can cook various types of kebabs.
Before choosing an electric grill of domestic or foreign production, remember that Russian units are distinguished by reliability and impeccable performance.
Foreign analogues will delight in the original design and additional devices, which will significantly expand the functionality of the barbecue.
Is it worth buying?
If you do not have the opportunity to go into nature and make a real brazier, of course, it is worth getting an electric skewer.
It has enough advantages and advantages:
- the cooking process is easier than on a regular grill (therefore, you don’t need to be a cook to make a barbecue);
- You do not have to worry about logging, making a fire and waiting for the coals to be ready;
- in the electric version of the grill, you can make several different dishes at the same time (barbecue, grilled chicken on a spit or bake any products on a barbecue grill);
- You can please yourself and friends with delicious meat in any weather, without even leaving your home.
Of the minuses, we note:
- lack of a smell of smoke, which is characteristic of barbecue cooked on fire (you can fix this by adding “liquid smoke” seasoning to the marinade or by putting smoked lard on skewers between pieces of meat, you can put fruit tree branches inside);
- difficulty in cleaning, as burnt grease in some non-separable models is very difficult to wash;
- a big waste of electricity;
- you will have to marinate the meat longer than for a regular barbecue, if you want it to turn out juicy and flavorful;
- Be especially careful as burns can occur if the unit is not used properly.
- most electric skewers are designed for a small load of meat (1-2 kilograms), respectively, in order to feed a large company, you will have to turn on the unit several times.
How to make it yourself?
For real masters, the task of making a do-it-yourself electric skewer device that works properly and fries meat does not present any problems.
It is possible to mount an electric skewer of vertical type “from scratch”.
To do this, wrap a nichrome spiral on a tube made of heat-resistant ceramics. And also for a “lamp” a quartz transparent glass bulb is used. This home-made heating element is fixed on the base, where holes for skewers and frame fastenings are thought out. For the installation of additional containers for draining fat, a cut is made outside the bottom. And inside, fixing devices are mounted so that the skewers do not fall over and keep upright.
When purchasing an electric barbecue, do not neglect the opportunity to get acquainted with the technical passport of the product. In it you will find not only detailed characteristics of the barbecue, but also practical advice on how to properly care for the mini barbecue, which will significantly extend its life.
The electric skewer can be used not only for frying meat, but also for cooking many tasty and healthy dishes:
- oily fish, which is juicy due to preliminary marinating;
- meat, poultry, sausages, sausages and other meat semi-finished products;
- vegetables and fruits that can be baked with foil (so that the juice does not leak), and without it;
- and even dough products (for example, mini-pies).
Any purchase should be justified. Therefore, think carefully about what functions you would like to see in the electric skewer. Do not chase stocks, because avaricious pays twice.
Be sure to study and check the unit before buying, paying special attention to the material. If it is aluminum, the design will be light and mobile, but not as strong and reliable as a barbecue made of stainless steel (this is a durable option, but you cannot take it with you). Pay attention to folding models, which are the most practical.
An overview of the Wonderland electric skewer is in the video below.