The usual single or double beds can not always be conveniently located in a small room. To save space, sofas with transformation mechanisms are increasingly used. Toppers and sofas are ideal for creating the most comfortable sleeping conditions on sofas.
What it is: benefits and purpose
What it is: benefits and purpose
The topper mattress is an accessory that is worn over the mattress or laid on the sofa. Its initial purpose is to create a comfortable sleeping place, as well as protecting the bed from various negative influences. Topper is presented in the form of a thin mattress, which is relatively cheaper than full mattresses. It will become an indispensable element of your berth, so do not deny yourself such an accessory.
Purpose of the mattress topper:
- Give the bedroom place orthopedic properties. A sofa or mattress on a bed does not always correspond to our wishes regarding elasticity and softness. This accessory will allow you to even out irregularities on the couch and improve the properties of the old mattress. It can even be used for clamshell.
- Provide reliable protection against dirt and dust. The presence of a topper will always have a fresh and clean berth. Thanks to the well-thought-out design of this product, you will not come into contact with dust or dirt, which often settles on the surface of sofas. A topper on top of the mattress will accumulate all the dirt on itself, protecting the mattress and prolonging its life. With severe contamination, the topper can be washed or replaced, which will be much cheaper than buying a new mattress.
- Provide good protection against statistical electricity. Often sofas with synthetic upholstery are electrified. To fix this problem, just use a mattress topper. Many models are made using silver coated fibers that divert electrical charge. The use of metal threads inside the product does not affect the elasticity and elasticity of the topper.
Although the topper mattress is designed as an additional mattress, it can also be used separately. It will become indispensable upon arrival of guests to create an additional place for a night's rest. Despite the subtlety of the product, it provides softness and comfort during sleep. It can be used as a rug for gymnastics, to take with you to nature or to arrange a cozy and warm place for children's games.
The topper mattress increases the operating period of the main mattress, and the bedding does not slip and does not lose its shape.
The main advantages of the topper:
- Creates a comfortable sleeping place, even on hard surfaces.
- It has an orthopedic effect, which will restore strength and relax during a night's rest.
- It is made from safe materials, and also has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It does not absorb moisture and creates good ventilation.
The mattress topper can be of different stiffness. Each buyer will be able to choose among a wide variety of the best option. Soft models are made of low density polyurethane foam, holofiber or latex, which has a height of 6 to 8 cm. The stiff topper is usually made of coconut coir, mamorix, dense latex in an ensemble with natural materials or seaweed.
Topper mattresses are produced in standard sizes, which have mattresses and beds, so before buying it, it is enough to measure your berth. Topper is a thin mattress, the height of which varies from 2 to 9 cm. The standard length for mattresses is 190 or 200 cm. The width has more options, because the mattresses are designed for single, one-and-a-half, double beds. The topper can be 90, 140 or 160 cm wide. For small beds, the standard sizes are 120x200 cm and 140x200 cm. For double variants, a mattress topper with dimensions of 180x200 cm is ideal.
If the standard dimensions do not suit you, then you can order a model for non-standard sizes. On average, the height of the mattress topper varies from 3 to 8 cm. The height of the model affects its softness. The softest are toppers, which have a height of 8 cm. The optimal choice is the height of the product 4 or 5 cm.
Filling and padding
When choosing a mattress-topper, you need to pay attention to the filling and upholstery of the product, since this is what affects reliability and quality. The topper should be lightweight, compact and have orthopedic properties, so manufacturers do not use spring blocks. They not only have a lot of weight, but also take up a lot of space.
All topper mattresses are springless models, which are characterized by light weight and thickness. As a filler, materials such as:
- Coconut coir is a natural material made from coconut fibers. Coira lends itself to various processing methods, and at the end it is fastened thanks to latex impregnation or firmware. Latex gives the coir durability and softness. When choosing a topper with a coir, it is worth considering the amount of latex, since it is he who is the key in determining the rigidity of the product.
- Natural latex keeps its shape perfectly, belongs to environmentally friendly materials, and also has excellent orthopedic properties. Latex perfectly allows air to pass through, and also takes body temperature to increase comfort during rest. Latex topper perfectly supports the spine and allows the body to relax.
- Artificial latex is in many ways similar to a natural analogue, but it is only more rigid and also characterized by a long service life.
- Polyurethane foam is very often used in the manufacture of topper mattresses due to its low cost, but its disadvantage lies in the fragility of the product, as well as in poor orthopedic properties. It is less elastic than latex. Such a topper can be purchased if it is used extremely rarely, for example, to create an extra bed for guests.
- The memorform is made from polyurethane in tandem with special additives. This material is soft and also reduces pressure on the body. On such a mattress you will feel softness and tenderness. Memorialform is poorly breathable.
- Combined options are created to combine the positive properties of natural and artificial materials. They have a good shelf life, excellent air permeability and do not retain moisture. Different combinations have different levels of rigidity, which allows you to choose the best option.
Topper mattresses are characterized by the presence of a cover, which is made of a variety of materials. Cover largely affects the properties of the mattress. It is better to purchase models in which the upholstery is sewn from natural materials such as cotton, silk or wool. Combined fabrics are often used for upholstery of mattresses toppers. Many products have satin trim.
Jacquard is very popular when sewing covers, since this material is represented by cotton with small additions of synthetic fibers.
Topper mattresses are usually made by companies that produce beds and mattresses. Among Russian manufacturers, one can distinguish companies such as Toris, Consul, Ascona and Ormatek, but do not forget about European brands. The mattresses toppers from DreamLine, Dormeo, and Senator. The famous Russian brand "IKEA" also offers a wide range of high-quality and attractive toppers. Among the presented variety you can find models with various fillers and sizes.
For more than ten years, the Italian company Dormeo has been manufacturing high-quality, durable and reliable orthopedic mattresses and toppers. In appearance, the mattress topper resembles a cozy plaid. It is characterized by light weight, as well as ease of transportation, since it can be twisted into a roll. Dormeo products have a layer of Memory foam, which gives the topper softness and provides support during a night's rest.
The filler bends depending on the pressure of the body, creating comfortable conditions for relaxation.
How to choose?
The choice of a mattress-topper should be treated responsibly, because your sleep will depend on it. If you need a mattress pad to even out irregularities on the sofa, then you need to pay attention to the density of the filler and the maximum allowable load on the product. The density of the material should be no less than 65 kg / m3, and the allowable load averages up to 140 kg. Product height also matters. The taller the topper, the better it will help level the surface of the sofa.
In the manufacture of topper mattresses, solid materials such as coconut coir, linen, sisal or latex are often used. Many manufacturers offer latex toppers, but remember that it can be natural or artificial. It is better to purchase a product from natural material, but, unfortunately, very few Russian companies use natural latex.
If you decide to buy a topper in order to give the sofa softness, then you should not stop your choice on a product made of natural latex, you need to look at models made of holofiber or low density artificial latex.
Topper mattresses are in great demand today, more and more users give preference to this product, because it allows you to extend the life of the mattress, and is also indispensable for creating a comfortable bed on a hard and uneven sofa with a transformation mechanism. The indisputable advantages of toppers are light weight and thickness. This mattress can be taken with you on the nature or on a hike. It easily twists and is convenient for transportation. Models made of natural materials are in high demand, since such fillers differ in orthopedic properties, excellent ventilation, do not absorb moisture and are characterized by a long service life.
You can learn more about these products by watching the video below.