One of the most popular items in the economy is considered to be a motor-block trailer (trolley). Trailers for motor vehicles are divided into special and multifunctional. A walk-behind tractor with a trolley will successfully replace not only a mini-tractor, but also a truck. And when the equipment has a tipper mechanism, then you do not need to swing a shovel, unloading gravel or sand, manure or black soil.
Varieties and traits of trailers
A factory-made trolley for a walk-behind tractor can have a bearing capacity from 300 kilograms to a ton and have different body dimensions. In this case, everything depends on the operational parameters of motor vehicles. For this reason, trailer manufacturers adapt their own products to light, medium and heavy motor vehicles.
Currently, the range of walk-behind tractors is extremely extensive, in connection with this, there are enough modifications of freight trailers for them.
The dimension line of the bodies of such trailers has several variations.
- For light motor vehicles, trolleys with a body width of 1 meter and a length of 0.85-1.15 meters are mainly used. The bearing capacity of such devices does not exceed 300 kilograms.
- For trailers designed to work with motor vehicles of ordinary power (4.8-8 horsepower), the body structure is equal to 1.0x1.5 meters or 1.1x1.4 meters with a bearing capacity of 300 to 500 kilograms.
- For heavy aggregates with a resource of more than 10 horsepower, uniaxial or biaxial trailers are used with a body width of 1.2 meters and a length of 2 to 3 meters. They have the ability to move goods weighing from 500 kilograms to one ton.
The height of the sides of a typical walk-behind trolley is 30-35 centimeters. For heavy trailers, frame-type side rails of a height of 50-60 centimeters are used.
Carts with bearing capacity over 350 kg are supplied with mechanical brakes . TB instruction requires this. When descending along a steep slope, you will not be able to extinguish the force of inertia of the loaded trolley solely with the brakes of the walk-behind tractor. In this regard, choosing a trailer for heavy motor vehicles, be sure to check the presence of this function.
A simple trailer with a tipper function for light and medium motor vehicles is not equipped with a lifting hydraulic cylinder.
The body in it is mounted so that the center of gravity of the load falls on the axle with steered wheels. This central symmetry significantly optimizes the manual tilting procedure.
To improve the comfort of loading and unloading, individual modifications of the trolleys, excluding the rear, have two side opening removable sides.
The bodies of the trolleys are mainly made from zinc-coated painted sheet, painted black metal sheet or impact-resistant plastic. The first method is considered especially high-quality and reliable, albeit very expensive.
Creating a trailer on your own
Upon completion of the analysis of all varieties of bogies, when creating a homemade device for motor vehicles, the most simple types are mainly used. It’s naturally more difficult to create a tipper trailer, but its practicality is ten times higher.
The process of implementing a tow hitch for motor vehicles with your own hands starts from the drawing. Thanks to it, you can determine the volumes of the desired material and select polysyllabic aggregates that require the creation of the most accurate schemes.
Do not forget that the alignment of a properly balanced trolley must be closer to the front side, but at the same time not extend beyond the axis of the wheels.
Assemble the skeleton
The quality of the skeleton is determined by the wear resistance and reliability that the towing device will have. This must be taken into account when developing the design documentation for the intended trailer attachment.
So, when creating the frame of the trolley, the following materials should be used:
- profile pipe and corner;
- beams on the front and rear parts are made of the 25th corner (25x25 millimeters);
- spars are best made from a 60x30 mm pipe;
- to conjugate all components, it is necessary to put 5 auxiliary crossbars that form the skeleton-lattice;
- 4 vertical racks are installed in the corners located along the pipes of this skeleton in the corners.
Creating a complete trailer is considered a relatively simple process. Some owners of summer cottages are planning to create the most complex structures.
In a similar situation, all further activities depend on the selection of a certain type of trolley:
- on a tipper truck, the tailgate should be folded;
- when it is planned to create a trolley with folding sides, this device should have all 3 sides, with the exception of the front;
- the frames of the reclining components must be done separately from the main skeleton; for ordinary modifications, they can be its single components.
This is one of the easiest moments in the manufacture of trailers. However, certain subtleties are available, and it is recommended to take them into account.
To carry out work on cladding the skeleton, it is necessary to select such materials that they will not be able to increase the cost of the trailer structure.
- Wood is a relatively inexpensive material, but by no means the most utilitarian due to its low resistance to moisture. For the boards to last as long as possible, it is imperative to apply specialized formulations to them and continuously take care of the integrity of the coating.
- Plastic - does not have a key imperfection of a tree, but at the same time has a small resistance to mechanical damage.
- Steel sheets - should initially be coated with anticorrosive substances and obtained by the most durable, but also pretty expensive type of material.
On a note! First of all, you need to clad the floor of the trolley, and then deal with the sides.
Make the chassis
This component of the device can be taken from an old vehicle, for example, a garden-building car. To fix it, an auxiliary tube is required. The hub must be crimped, and its rear segment is machined and fixed on the axis. And here it is extremely important to watch so that the bevel does not appear.
For mounting wheels, cylindrical or conical rods (pins) are an acceptable solution . They guarantee a fairly strong and long pairing. To strengthen the structure, a bolt joint can be used. The final moment of the work on the creation of the chassis will be the installation of caps.
The in-house manufacturing of any equipment for a walk-behind tractor is also associated with another factor that should not be overlooked under any circumstances. It implies a hitch, otherwise - a tow hitch, a component by which a thorough fixation of the trailer is guaranteed.
There are quite a few technical solutions for coupling (from a universal joint, a spider, and so on), however, the method most often used by manufacturers is a U-shaped part. Such a towing device is made of high-quality steel that can withstand extreme stresses.
To create this component of the trolley, it is advisable to take a channel corresponding in thickness and size.
Creating this serious component on your own, do not forget that the operational quality of the material is everything. A number of holes are drilled in a suitable workpiece for dimensions, through which subsequently the elements will be mated by means of a fixing pin. In addition, the hitch is equipped with a holder, whose long edge needs to be turned up or down so that it does not interfere with the fixation of additional tools. At the same time, it should in no case be in contact with the surface of the soil.
In the manufacture of an element for coupling, it is advisable to take the unit of the manufacturer for the prototype. Often there is a need to add original designs to the walk-behind tractor. To do this, you will need a transition device suitable for the bulk of the most common modifications. This is an individual component, which is at the same time extremely responsible.
The simplest method of pairing motor vehicles with a trailer is a tube-in-tube bundle.
A small piece of pipe is fixed to one side of a pre-bent pipe in a vertical position. On the opposite side of the main component (bent pipe) another piece is cooked, and on it you need to fix the king pin, which will serve as the connecting component. This rugged device, easy to create, is characterized by great reliability and guarantees excellent maneuverability.
Remember, the hitch needs care - cleaning, lubrication.
You will learn how to make a trailer for a walk-behind tractor with your own hands in the next video.