More recently, laser projectors could be found only in cinemas and clubs, today they are widely used in offices and homes. Due to the high image quality, such devices allow not only to demonstrate presentations, videos, but also watch your favorite movies in the family circle. Since this type of equipment is presented on the market in a huge assortment, you need to be able to choose the right model correctly, taking into account not only technical specifications, price, but also reviews about the manufacturer.
What it is?
The laser projector is a special device designed to reproduce images on large screens. Its basis is a laser beam, in monochrome models it is one, and in polychromatic - three, the beam is focused using a special stencil, which can take the form of a slide or image. Falling on such a stencil and passing through it, the beam on the installed screen projects the desired picture. In addition to the stencil and the beam, the laser projector includes a complex mirror system, it acts as a converter and creates certain angles of deviation of the emitted light. Thus, the principle of operation of this device is similar to the operation of televisions.
Compared to lamp devices, laser “draw” the image without shining through the finished picture.
As a screen for projectors, you can use any kind of surface: floor, ceiling and walls.
This device also allows you to recreate a high-quality image even on uneven surfaces, since each pixel is separately projected by laser pulses, which do not require additional focusing.
Despite the fact that laser projectors appeared on the market not so long ago, they managed to substantially change over this period of time. Manufacturers produce a huge selection of models that satisfy any user needs.
Depending on the functional features, projectors can be designed for games, home cinema (these are mini-devices with a convenient remote control), for entertainment and shows (with the effect of color music), and for education and business (with the ability to play up to 12 slides).
All of the above species have their own technical capabilities, size and price.
For office and education
This is a kind of projectors designed for use in educational institutions, business centers and cafes, that is, for rooms that have light (an additional source of lighting). The main goal of such devices is to “interrupt” the flare and to qualitatively display the necessary information on the screen. The average luminous flux (brightness) of this type of projectors is up to 3000 lumens, this indicator directly depends on the level of external lighting in the room and the parameters of the device itself.
For home theater
This is a programmable projector capable of working only under ideal conditions. To obtain a high-quality image, the presence of external light sources must be completely eliminated. Just like the LED projector used for home theater, the laser has good color rendering and is equipped with many settings that allow you to control the video signal and color. Unlike office options, it is intended not only for reproducing graphs and text. The main advantage of this type is the low noise level, as well as the ability to install in any room. In addition, devices for home theater have a stylish design and fit perfectly into the modern interior rooms.
They are a special kind of projectors that have a large weight, dimensions and high brightness. They are used, as a rule, in large rooms, as well as for creating projections on structures and for outdoor installations. Like an animation projector, the installation projector has many additional functions that allow you to create lighting effects. They are often set for a holiday or special occasion. Such devices are available in a protective robust case, they are easy to install, transport, although they weigh about 20 kg.
This type of projectors is considered the most unique. As in other laser devices, the laser is responsible for creating the image in them, which “draws” the right and left pictures on two silicon mirrors. At the same time, special LCD panels are glued onto such mirrors to polarize light. Thanks to this playback technology, it is possible to use 3D glasses while watching. The main disadvantage of 3D projectors is the high cost.
Today, laser projectors are presented on the market in a huge assortment, while the models differ not only in technical characteristics, but also in quality and price. Here are the best models that have received many positive reviews.
- Panasonic PT-RZ470E. This ultra-compact novelty from a Chinese manufacturer weighs only 700 g and supports 3D mode. The principle of operation of the projector is based on the original technology "LED sources + laser-forfor", that is, the design provides for the presence of not only a laser, but also an LED lamp. This model is ideal for both home theater and business use. The main advantages of this model are multifunctionality (you can connect headphones, game consoles, smartphones and computers), a convenient control panel. Disadvantages - the lack of Russification, a slot for memory cards and during video playback from the Internet, the image may slightly “slow down”.
- LG HF80JS. This model is presented by a Taiwanese company. This projector gives a wide projection, so it can be installed close to the wall. The main feature of this device is that it does not scatter light to the sides and does not blind the speaker. The device supports 3D-mode, thanks to a brightness of 1,500 ANSI-lm, it can be used not only for presentations, but also for watching movies. The model's pluses include: the presence of more than 10 outputs, including, including LAN and HDMI, the ability to connect to a computer, audio systems, equipped with two 20-watt speakers and equipped with a convenient control panel. Cons - heavy (weighs about 5 kg), the difficulty of using the Internet, color rendering flaws (the image may initially have an offset in cold tones).
- Xiaomi MiJia. This device from a Chinese manufacturer is great for home theater. It weighs 7 kilograms, has high quality and impressive characteristics, among which one can distinguish a good Full HD expansion and a luminous flux of 5000 lumens. The projection size on the screen diagonal is from 107 to 381 cm, the laser resource is high and exceeds 25,000 hours. The advantages of the device are a stylish look, convenient use, high-quality image reproduction. As for the shortcomings, then he alone - a high price.
- Vivitek D555. This projector model is considered budget. Despite the ability to display images in Full HD, the device has average technical specifications. It is recommended to buy it for offices, although you can use it at home to watch movies (in this case, you must additionally install a screen with a diagonal of 90 inches). This projector also has good levels of brightness (3000 lumens) and contrast (15000: 1). If we consider the advantages of this unit, then only affordable cost can be attributed to them.
- Acer V6810. This is a laser projector that can be purchased at an affordable price. The device provides high-quality picture reproduction in 4K UHD, while the expansion of its matrix is only 1920 * 1080. Since the brightness of the V6810 projector is 2200 lumens, and the contrast is 10000: 1, it is recommended to install it with 220-inch screens.
- Benq LK970. This model is the most technologically advanced and expensive device with an expansion matrix 2716 * 1528 and the ability to display projection in 4K format. The maximum brightness of the projector is 5000 lumens, the contrast is 100000: 1 and the diagonal is 508 cm. This unit can be connected to a TV and computer. Plus models - the laser provides the desired sharpness, so any scene will look exactly the same as in a movie theater. In addition, the laser power is easily adjusted manually.
- Viewsonic LS700HD. This is a laser projector from the American brand, which shows excellent dynamic contrast and has a brightness of 3500 lm. The main advantages of the model, users include high response speed and a good interface set, there is also support for Smart TV. There are no flaws.
How to choose?
Since the laser projector in most cases is an expensive technique, then during its purchase it is worth paying attention to many parameters.
Not only the service life of the device, but also the image quality will depend on this.
- The color brightness of the projector. It directly depends on the distance of the device to the screen (when it decreases, the brightness increases proportionally) and the level of external lighting. Each projector model has its own brightness indicator, it is measured in lumens. If you plan to use the device to watch movies in a darkened room, you can purchase models with a brightness index of 1,500 lumens, while the diagonal of the screen should not be less than 130 inches. As for the use of the projector in well-lit rooms, models with a luminous flux of 3,000 lumens are considered the ideal choice. The only thing is that in the place where the device is installed, there should be a slight dimming.
- Contrast. This indicator is the ratio of the brightness of white to black. When placing the projector in well-lit rooms, the contrast is determined by the maximum brightness of the device. In this case, black areas of the picture will be illuminated by external lighting. A huge role is played by contrast for cinemas, where the hall is well darkened to watch movies. The higher its indicator, the greater the dynamic range.
- Resolution. Projectors with an extension below HD are not recommended. To have high image quality, it’s better to pay a little extra.
- Power. This is the most important indicator of the device, since the maximum brightness and saturation of the final picture depend on it. It is advisable to buy models with a power of 1 W of red, blue and green, which in the end is the final indicator of 3 watts.
- Speed and angle of scanning. The higher the first parameter, the better the device. To view images in good quality, you need to choose a projector with a scan speed of at least 30 kpps. It should be noted that the scanning speed depends on the angle, the working value of which should be from 40 to 60 degrees.
- Projection Modes. Manufacturers produce devices with vertical and horizontal keystone correction, depending on this, the device can be installed at a certain angle, not perpendicular to the screen. To date, there are projectors with desktop, frontal, ceiling and rear projections. The first view must be selected if it is planned to install the device lower or at the screen level, the second - in front of an opaque screen, the third is suspended on the ceiling, and the fourth is located behind a transparent screen.
- 3D support. This feature is not available on all models. When choosing a projector with 3D support, it is important to check with the seller by which technology the display is performed: passive or active. In the first case, the projector displays lines in turn for the left and right eyes, and in the second case, the frame rate decreases by half.
- Interfaces and connectors. It is advisable to give preference to models with VGA and HDMI connectors, the presence of outputs for multi-channel audio connection to a computer will also not hurt. The convenience of using the interface also plays a huge role.
- Network features. Most models come with projection over a wireless network. They cost a little more, but have more advanced functionality.
It is very good if the device is released with the remote control. We should also pay attention to the manufacturer, his warranty.
It is not recommended to buy equipment for which the warranty is given less than 12 months.
It is important that in the city where the device is purchased, there are service centers of the manufacturer. In addition, it is important to carefully review model reviews and trust only trusted manufacturers.
Despite the fact that laser projectors appeared on the market recently, they managed to get a lot of both positive and negative reviews. Most users appreciated the unlimited resource of the laser source, which averages up to 20,000 hours. In addition, compared to lamp models, laser ones have excellent contrast, brightness and expansion. Doctors also respond positively about projectors of this type, since the reflected light is absolutely safe for the organs of vision. Some users were dissatisfied with the budget models, which have a rainbow effect in the form of blue, green and red outlines, noticeable on a light background.
How to choose a laser projector, see the video.