Dracaena can be called one of the most common indoor plants. This representative of the flora is characterized by beauty and ease of care. Dracaena has several varieties, the cultivation of which is to create optimal conditions for their growth and development in order to get a wonderful living decoration in the room.
Drazen is called the tree of happiness; territories such as Africa and South Asia are considered its homeland. There is an opinion that this representative of the flora is an individual from the family of agva, iglitzaceous, but most recently it was recognized as an individual of the asparagus family. A tree was brought from Congo. Depending on the place of growth and variety of dracaena, there are different sizes.
This plant comes from warm countries, therefore, prefers greenhouse growing conditions. Studying the history of the origin of dracaena, we can conclude that it has nothing to do with palm trees, except for spring similarity. But it is sometimes called a room palm.
According to legend, this majestic tree grew on the spot where the terrible dragon was defeated, after which the earth absorbed his blood. Therefore, these streaks appear in the form of bright red spots along the trunk on the dracaena. In the place of the trunk crack, a resinous substance is released - it is a gum with healing properties. Dracaena is an exotic representative of the fauna, whose homeland is the tropics. In the most favorable climate, it can grow up to 20 meters.
In indoor conditions, the "dragon tree" is much smaller, but has the ability to become a decorative decoration of any home.
Dracaena is a houseplant that belongs to the asparagus family. This is one of the varieties of indoor flowers. Its description indicates that the plant looks like a palm bush. In height, indoor dracaena can be of various sizes; the highest shrubs are acquired for office premises. To decorate the house, you can get an individual with a height of 0.5 meters. This tree of upright type has dense and sprawling foliage, which can have different colors and widths.
Often the dragon tree trunks resemble bamboo. Flowering plants are characterized by the appearance of flowers of white or green color, which are collected in inflorescences - panicles. Dracaena is called the tree of happiness, which is absolutely not poisonous. The tree accumulates energy and forms a positive atmosphere in the home, which is why it only benefits those who live next to it. Popular signs that are associated with it:
- dracaena helps to improve the energy of the room, as well as create a positive emotional climate in the walls of the house;
- the plant is quite sensitive to negativity and bad thoughts, therefore it fades in an unfavorable emotional atmosphere;
- This flora representative is recommended to be raised by people who are single and want to start a family.
A room species is characterized by a wide species diversity, each species of which has a special difference from the rest. The tree can be large and small, broadleaf and variegated. The main types of "dragon tree".
- "Deremskaya". In wild conditions, the tree can reach a height of 5 m. This species is characterized by lanceolate narrow foliage of a dark green color. The leaf length does not exceed 150 cm. A three-meter tree in the home environment is characterized by the concentration of foliage in the upper part. Young leaves grow up, with age they are able to fall below.
- "Fragrant." This type of dracaena is able to bloom in natural conditions. At the same time, a pleasant aromatic smell emanates from her. The arrangement of flowers is concentrated on a peduncle 1 meter in size. They have a pompon shape, but, unfortunately, are not capable of flowering at home. Dracaena “Fragrant” is a flower with wide leaves that looks very beautiful on thick unstable trunks.
- "Bordered." Often this type of plant is common in a residential or working room, it can reach a height of about 3 meters, it is also characterized by dark green foliage, which reaches a length of 0.7 meters. Marginanta, as this species is called differently, has the appearance of a slender tree, which is characterized by a trunk without branches, as well as a tip with sharp foliage.
- "Canadian" or "dragon tree". In nature, it is common in Africa and the Canaries. Indoor flower reaches a height of 1.5 meters. The foliage of dracaena is painted in blue and has spikes, their length usually does not exceed 0.6 meters.
- A “chyrmonous” dracaena is a broad-stemmed tree species characterized by an arched elongated foliage with a length of 1 meter and a width of 0.04 meters.
- "Sander." This species is low, it is characterized by the presence of a thin trunk and saturated green foliage. The latter has an elongated shape, as well as a length of 0.2 meters and a width of 0.03 meters. The leaves are decorated with silver stripes, some of them are very colorful. "Sandera" refers to non-capricious plants, it feels good on aqua soils.
- "Shaping". Dracaena of this species belongs to the evergreen, its height can reach 300 cm. Its leaves are green and covered with yellow spots.
- The "bent" dracaena is characterized by high height, it can grow up to 500 cm. A tree can consist of several trunks of small thickness. The plant is covered with green foliage, which does not exceed 0.15 meters in length and is characterized by a lanceolate elongated shape.
How to care?
Many palm growers love a room palm. She not only does not create difficulties when growing, but also fits perfectly into the interior of the office and residential building. This flower does not belong to the category of whimsical, as it does not need special care. In order for the plant to fully open up, it needs conditions that will resemble the natural ones to the maximum.
Only in this case, dracaena will grow rapidly, and will also delight its owners with wide bright foliage, as well as the splendor of the crown.
Dracaena is an unpretentious representative of the flora, so even an inexperienced gardener can engage in its cultivation. This plant needs a moderate temperature in the house. In the summer - + 18-25 degrees, in winter - at least 15 degrees of heat. In the warm season, dracaena should be periodically taken outside for ventilation, but do not put it on a draft or near an open window.
In hot weather, it is better to water the flower additionally.
Many of the species of dracaena negatively relate to dry air, and therefore require constant spraying, regardless of the season. If you do not spray the plant twice a day, then its foliage may turn yellow. It is also worthwhile to constantly rub the dracaena foliage with a damp cloth. It is allowed to wash the tree with a shower.
The best place for the normal life of the dracaena will be a well-lit area or partial shade, but not direct sunlight. Indoor flower belongs to heat-loving representatives, he loves humid air and diffusion of light. Species that have striped foliage are favored by bright lighting.
In the case of lighting, the best option is a sustained balance of light. Rules for the location of dracaena in the room.
- In the southern or western room, the flower does not need to be placed on the windowsill, as this can lead to drying out and yellowing of the leaves. It is better to choose a place near the window, but at the same time not in proximity to heating appliances. If the window of the southern room overlooks a constant shadow, then the dracaena will be comfortable on the windowsill.
- The northern room is not the best option for arranging the flower . But if there are no other options, then the pot should be placed on the windowsill close to the window, but it is better to abandon the dense curtains. When the tree grows to 150 cm, it will need to be lowered to the floor.
- An oriental room is an ideal option for dracaena. This plant will be comfortable under oblique sunlight in such a room.
The young individual should be placed on the windowsill, and the adult on the floor.
When feeding dracaena, it is necessary to observe the regularity and balance of the fertilizers applied. If you want to feed the flower, it is worth remembering that it is better to do this in the summer season. The regularity of top dressing corresponds to the phases of growth.
- From April to August this indoor flower grows intensively. To improve this process, twice a month, it is necessary to feed it with complex fertilizers.
- From August to March, dracaena stops growing, so a one-time feeding of 30 days will be enough for her.
The tree is quite demanding on the components of the fertilizer. An ideal feeding option would be a special complex for dracaenas. It is as follows: sodium, phosphorus, potassium, minerals in a ratio of 3: 1: 3. If the dosage is exceeded, then brown spots may form on it, and the green foliage will die off.
Having bought a specialized fertilizer, you can be sure of its safe effect on the plant.
Irrigation for dracaena is a very important event, but this procedure must be carried out correctly. Do not be zealous, as this can lead to the development of fungal diseases. During the spring-summer active phase of growth of a tree, it is worth watering it once every 7 days. For this event, it is worth using settled water, which has room temperature.
From the second half of autumn, the tree begins a dormant period, so the intensity of irrigation should be reduced and carried out once every 30 days. If dracaena is located in the immediate vicinity of heating appliances, it is necessary to water the flower twice a month, being guided by soil moisture.
A plant of this species is contraindicated in waterlogging and stagnation of water, so the pot for dracaena should have a good drainage.
Waterlogging is considered the most dangerous in the winter season.
It is better to transplant dracaena at the end of the winter period and at the beginning of the spring. At this time, the indoor palm will tolerate the transplant, as it passes from the resting phase to active growth. Transplantation is necessary in such cases:
- the root system of the flower is not enough space and it needs a larger pot;
- after the acquisition of the plant;
- with excessive irrigation of the tree, when the roots rot;
- if the quality of the soil deteriorates and the flower grows poorly;
- with a planned transplant or excessive pest attack.
In order for the transplanting of the tree to go well, you will need to prepare a pot of the right volume, a drainage system, a substrate, a water spray, a cup of liquid, a pruner or shears for gardening.
In order for the further growth and development of dracaena to be optimal, you will need to choose the right capacity. The pot should not only have an attractive appearance, but also meet these requirements:
- have dimensions 2-3 centimeters larger in diameter than the previous one, since it will need to accommodate overgrown roots;
- a pair of holes should be present at the bottom, which contribute to the regulation of the moisture level;
- the pot should not have too large dimensions, since there is a likelihood of moisture retention and subsequent death of the plant;
- an adult tree should pick up a pot that has the shape of a glass.
After the pot is selected, you can begin to prepare the substrate, since it plays the main role in the nutrition and growth of dracaena. The growth of the "dragon tree" is possible on any substrate, but it is worth giving preference to the drained one, which has an acidity of 6-6.5 pH.
It is not recommended to use soil that is taken in the garden, as it may contain a large amount of salts.
Soil can be prepared with your own hands or bought. To prepare the substrate, leafy, soddy ground, compost and peat are needed. The ratio of substances should be as follows: 2: 1: 1: 0.5. Expanded clay balls and detailed bricks can be used as drainage.
In order to transplant dracaena without causing harm to it, you will first need to rinse the new pot with a soap solution and clean water. Prior to the Dragon Tree procedure, it is not watered for three days, which helps to dry the soil. To free the plant, it is necessary to tilt the dracaena upside down, patting the pot. Take out a plant with a lump of soil.
The next step is to inspect the root system for damage. If any, they must be pruned with pruners.
After these procedures, the rhizome should be sprayed with ordinary water.
A thick drain is laid out on the potted bottom. A soil layer is poured on top of it, and then a dracaena is placed in the container. The roots of the plant should be covered with the substrate that remained. The soil near the stem needs to be carefully rammed. At the end of the above procedures, you need to water the indoor palm.
When transplanting a room palm, it is worth listening to such recommendations.
- Do not deepen the plant during transplantation. Otherwise, irrigation of dracaena will be inconvenient, so it will be appropriate to leave the sides.
- The soil must be compacted. For this procedure, a light tap on the table with a pot will suffice.
- You can plant a pair of dracaena in one container , but you should take into account the dimensions of the container.
After transplanting, the "dragon tree" undergoes adaptation for 14 days. During this time, the formation of the root system of the plant occurs.
To reduce stress, you can use Zircon.
Several options for breeding dracaena are known.
- A segment of the stem. To carry out propagation by this method, it is necessary to cut off the stem part, which has a length of at least 5 centimeters. The segment must be dried, and then planted in a pot with a substrate. Planting should be carried out after the appearance of roots and lateral shoots.
- With the help of cuttings. Cutting cuttings is best done from the stem top. After that, it is placed in the ground, covered with a jar. The cuticle needs periodic spraying. Within a month you can detect the appearance of roots.
- The seeds. This process of reproduction is read the longest and most laborious. For the procedure, it is necessary to pre-soak the seeds for a day in ordinary water. Such an event activates plant growth. As time passes, the seeds should be sown to a depth of 1 cm in specially designed containers for growing seedlings, where there is already a special substrate. The next step is to create a greenhouse effect using cans or a film of polyethylene. The emergence of sprouts can be noticed after 14 days.
After this, the owner is required to maintain humidity and light, which is optimal for young dracaena.
Diseases and Pests
Due to the persistence of immunity, dracaena rarely suffers from infectious ailments. If the leaves of the "dragon tree" began to become covered with spots that have a brown or black color, as well as an elongated shape, then the flower is probably infected with alternariosis. With light brown stains - heterosporosis. If there is a gradual drying and yellowing of the spots, then the plant is infected with phylostictosis. When there is suspicion of a disease, the hostess should immediately isolate the dracaena from other representatives of the flora in order to avoid the spread of infection.
The above diseases of a room palm can be easily cured. To do this, it is necessary to process the leaves of the tree with fungicides sold in a flower shop. One of the most dangerous ailments that is difficult to treat is bacteriosis. It is manifested by the appearance of putrefactive spots.
On the advice of specialists, the affected plant should be destroyed.
Often, dracaena is ill with improper care. When wilting, yellowing of the foliage is not worth it, the cause of this may be their natural death, which occurs once every 2 years. When young foliage begins to be affected, the reasons for this may be as follows:
- insufficient or excessive lighting;
- irregularity of irrigation;
- lack or excessive amount of nutrients in the soil;
- Incorrect temperature conditions.
That is why caring for a houseplant should be not only correct, but also regular. Despite resistance to infectious and bacterial infections, dracaena often suffers from a pest attack. Often it is struck by such parasites:
- scale shield;
Such parasites have a detrimental effect on the indoor palm and cause a lot of negative consequences. If the scab has attacked the plant, then the foliage withers and its lowering occurs. To get rid of a small insect with a brown color, it should be removed with a rag that is moistened with soapy water. After this, it is necessary to carry out insecticide treatment.
The spider mite causes yellowing of the leaves and the formation of cobwebs on its reverse side. Initially, the foliage should be washed with warm water, and then sprayed with Deris. When a silver hue appears on the leaves of a room palm, you can see that small black parasites appeared on their reverse side - these are thrips. To help the room palm, it should be repeatedly treated with insecticides.
Ailments and parasites of the "dragon tree" do not carry excessive danger, but a lot of work will have to be done to eliminate them. After buying a room flower, each owner should carefully study its features and care rules. If you grow a plant in accordance with all the rules and carry out timely care, you can get a wonderful living room decoration.
You can learn more about how to care for Drazen at home.