The choice of ceiling design plays an important role in the design of the apartment. Its structure, harmoniously selected material and properly exposed lighting can change the room beyond recognition. Recently, complex multi-level designs have come into fashion. It becomes irrelevant to use whitewashing or painting. The most popular type of ceiling is a two-level stretch with integrated lighting.
When making repairs, it is important to pay attention to all surfaces of the room: floor, walls, ceiling. However, the last of them is the most inaccessible part. If during the work there were flaws, then subsequently eliminating them will be quite difficult.
When installing a stretch ceiling with backlight, it is very important to choose high-quality materials, an experienced specialist.
It is easy to work with a stretch fabric, it is practical, has only minor restrictions:
- The ceilings should be at least 2.5 m, as the tensile structure "takes" some space, and the room can be very cramped.
- For a two-level type of structure, the height of the room should be at least 2.8-3 m so that it fits harmoniously into the space.
- All wiring must be isolated, otherwise even a single spark can cause a fire.
Stretch ceilings have their drawbacks and advantages.
The pluses include:
- Long service life.
- Installation and dismantling take a little time, do not cause difficulties.
- Moisture resistant.
- The selected shade does not fade and does not fade during operation.
- Environmental Safety.
- Additional functions of noise and sound insulation.
- Wires from lighting fixtures, as well as other communications, can be hidden inside the structure.
The minuses include the following points:
- Visible joints of the material.
- Installation is not possible in cold rooms.
- The PVC surface does not “breathe”, it may emit an unpleasant plastic smell at first.
- The fabric can absorb odors, deform under the influence of moisture.
Lighting that can be combined with stretch ceilings has its own characteristics. For each lamp, you need to think about the mounting mechanism, in the usual way, this will not work. Additional materials will need to be taken care of in advance.
In addition, any lighting fixture will not work. The best options are spotlights, LED strip, chandelier, fiber optic, fluorescent lamps.
Depending on the material used, stretch ceilings can be film or fabric:
- Canvas made of PVC film is represented by a wide selection of surfaces: translucent, glossy, matte, with mother of pearl, satin, perforated. You can choose any color, a diverse range allows you to choose the material for every taste and design.
- Fabric ceilings look more solid, elegant, although at a higher price.
There are three types of suspended ceilings with lighting, depending on the features of their installation:
- Perforated sheets are combined with translucent. First of all, the backlight is installed in the form of spotlights or LED strip. It is better to give preference to them, since they do not greatly heat the surface, serve for a long time and must be replaced if necessary. Then the tension web itself is mounted, in which holes are made for the light to enter the room.
- Several ceiling levels are fixed in one layer. At the first stage, a frame is mounted on which the web is attached. It can be different in height and color. This provides additional opportunities for translating interesting design ideas.
- Use of plasterboard base for the ceiling. First, a metal frame is mounted for it, then an LED strip is laid (spotlights are mounted at the final stage). After this, the frame is installed, which is closed with drywall. The entire structure must be covered with putty, primer and a coat of paint. After this, the tension of the ceiling web occurs.
It is better to entrust the installation of a stretch ceiling to professional masters who will help determine which type of installation to choose.
Not so long ago, complex lighting was considered an indicator of luxury, wealth of home owners. But now it has become available to almost all segments of the population and is easily used in standard apartments.
With the help of multi-level ceilings with illumination, the room can be given originality and uniqueness. A wide selection of ceiling designs allows you to satisfy every taste.
It is important to take care of the lighting, think it over in advance. This is especially true for rooms where natural light is poorly received. In such a room there will not be enough spotlights. We need a basic light source that would illuminate the entire space, for example, a chandelier. However, even without lighting, a two-level ceiling will not look beautiful. It is she who gives the design lightness, originality and elegance.
A two-level design should combine several types of fixtures. Therefore, you need to make sure that they do not consume a lot of energy. You can choose tapes with LED, neon bulbs, duralight. Their wide assortment allows you to choose neutral or color lighting, choose a system with different modes. A multi-colored glow can become an independent room decor in the evening, the dim light mode is suitable for bedrooms, replaces the usual night light.
Using different types of lighting devices, you can divide the room into zones. For this, a diagram of a room with zonal accents is drawn on paper. Then, on paper, it is determined which ceiling pattern would fit organically into this room. There are many options.
You can take as a basis geometric shapes, symmetric or asymmetric simple patterns. It is convenient to mount curved lines from drywall, combining it with a stretch canvas.
How to choose for different rooms
Properly exposed lighting can visually correct the imperfections of the room, increase, expand the room or create a feeling of chamber space, add coziness and comfort.
Before proceeding with the installation of the ceiling, you should determine its design, choose it correctly, in accordance with the type of room.
The living room is a great place for experimentation and unusual solutions. The ceiling design with elements contrasting in color to the interior will look original. It can be complemented by fixtures of the same color, as well as accessories in the room. For a classic interior, black and white design is suitable; for more daring decisions, you can use yellow-orange, lilac-pink combinations.
When using a colored ceiling, it is important to consider the shade of the backlight. Different tones can distort colors, make the ceiling tastelessly designed.
To make the two-level ceiling seem voluminous, it is better to make the backlight around the perimeter from the outside. To get the effect of a ceiling that soars, the backlight must be placed on the inside.
You can diversify the entire design by applying photo printing on the stretch fabric. In combination with the backlight, such a ceiling will look impressive. A hidden cornice will complement the interior, for which you need to provide a niche in advance.
Two-level ceilings with soft, dim lighting in the bedroom are the ideal solution for a room in which you want to relax and unwind. To use photo printing, the theme of space or sky is suitable. The flickering lights of the LED strip, imitating the stars, will complement it. Falling asleep under such a ceiling will create the feeling of being outdoors.
If you use the technique of a “soaring” ceiling, a “soaring” bed will be a great addition to it. It will look especially organic in spacious rooms with high ceilings.
Using two-tier ceiling structures in the kitchen, you can delimit the room into zones. This can be achieved by using different levels of the ceiling above the zones, highlighting the boundaries of the levels with the help of lighting, the use of ceiling paintings and lamps of different colors. However, it is better to combine no more than three shades. You can choose the bulbs and the design itself in the color of furniture or bright shades: green, purple, orange. The end will be a chandelier in the center of the room, selected by the color of the backlight.
In the kitchen, you can use an interesting trick: choose the same color for the design of the stretch fabric and walls, and in the center of the ceiling place a contrasting insert illuminated around the perimeter with an LED strip. This technique is perfect for rooms where there is a bay window.
In the room where the children live, you can apply the brightest ideas: colors, decor, the use of photo printing with drawings, rainbow lighting. You can arrange the ceiling in the form of a sky with stars or clouds. This option is especially suitable for two-tier structures. The illusion of the sky can be obtained using photo printing on the ceiling canvas, hanging curly elements and the use of backlighting with a flickering effect.
To decorate the stretch fabric, you can choose any patterns that children will like. The backlight can be decorated not with straight lines, but along the contour of the selected images. You can combine several colors of illumination, most importantly, observe the measure.
An excess of decorative elements and various colors can bore a child, quickly bother. Better to choose more neutral solutions.
For a room where you plan to work hard, calm shades, neutral design are suitable. Here, the ceiling will look good in bright colors, levels in the form of simple geometric shapes and classical illumination along the perimeter. Clear lines add to the space of solidity and rigor, help to concentrate.
You can use win-win color combinations: beige and brown, blue and white, black and red.
To make the ceiling weightless, it is better to combine two levels of the tensile structure with illumination along the inner perimeter. No need to make a big transition, just 5-10 cm is enough. The ceiling will look harmonious in the color of the whole room decoration.
If desired, the ceiling can be decorated with curly elements. Care must be taken and the clarity of the lines, otherwise in a small space the figure will be lost, and a feeling of carelessness will be created. The final touch is the illumination around the perimeter of the figures.
In the case of the bathroom, the main light source is not needed, the chandelier will look too bulky.
For a narrow room, a two-level ceiling is an excellent solution. You can arrange it with square or round inserts along the entire length. Illuminated inside figures will create a futuristic effect.
To make the hallway more spacious, you can choose a white color for the ceiling structure and the same lighting. As an alternative to geometric shapes, you can choose a combination of straight broken or wavy lines. The chandelier in the hallway is not needed. To complement the LED backlight will help spotlights.
The original solution is to place photographs or paintings on the walls and illuminate the frames with the same illumination as on the ceiling.
Beautiful examples in the interior
The choice of ceiling design is truly rich. In addition, two-level lighting designs are universal. For each room, you can choose the perfect design using shapes, images, various colors and lighting options.
- The room will look original using rainbow lighting.
- The combination of different color levels will help divide the room into zones.
- Illumination along the inner perimeter visually makes the ceiling higher.
- Structures using geometric shapes look especially original.
- You can choose any shapes for decorating the ceiling.
- Using photo printing will create a unique effect.
For information on how to install a two-level stretch ceiling with backlight, see the next video.