Thanks to the variety of modern gadgets, everyone can capture interesting and important points. The action camera is designed specifically for shooting on the move and in extreme conditions. This is a small device that is often mounted on the head to keep your hands free. How to choose a suitable model? It all depends on your needs and goals.
Varieties and their application
The first company to release an action camera was GoPro, and when the device became popular, other manufacturers followed in its footsteps, so there are many offers on the market for every taste and budget. You can choose a gadget for filming under water, for sports, hunting or any other extreme.
Classic cameras have a rectangular shape, on the one hand they have a lens, on the other - a screen, although on some models it is missing. For additional protection, the devices are placed in a sealed box and mounted on the head, motorcycle helmet, arm or body. Often their functions can be expanded through various additional accessories, if the manufacturer has taken care of this. This option can be considered universal - suitable for fishing, sports, outdoor activities.
Some people use these camcorders instead of a DVR.
Glasses with a built-in action camera are a fashionable device, like the heroes of spy movies. The electronic filling is securely hidden in the arms, and the lens is located in the middle, between the lenses. Such models are lighter than classic ones; they do not attract the attention of others and allow you to shoot in the first person. This perspective may be of interest to those who record videos for YouTube and want to create an atmosphere of complete immersion in current events. Thanks to their lightness and ergonomics, glasses are also popular with skiers, climbers, cyclists and divers.
Panoramic cameras are capable of shooting 360 degrees due to the operation of several lenses. Their number varies from 2 to 36. The viewing angle can also be different. Such gadgets are often used as camping gadgets to shoot panoramas from a height at special viewing platforms. Head cameras with night mode have IR LEDs, which allows you to shoot even in the dark. Otherwise, by the principle of operation, they are no different from other devices.
When it comes to action cameras, the first thing they remember is GoPro. The company regularly releases new products and takes into account the different needs of customers. Among the current models, there are several of the most interesting.
- Hero 7 Black. It has the image stabilization function Hypersmooth, which is able to smooth out any shaking and even works with 4K quality at a speed of 60 frames per second. Allows you to take HDR photos, broadcast live, controlled via the touch screen.
- Hero 7 Silver. A good option for the average user who does not need professional capabilities, like the previous model. At the same time, decent 4K quality, a waterproof case and an intuitive interface are offered.
- Hero 7 White. An affordable and reliable model for beginners. Shoots in Full HD at 1440p / 60fps or 1080p / 60fps. It can be synchronized with a smartphone and transfer videos directly to social networks.
DJI is a renowned quadrocopter manufacturer that also offers cameras. The flagship Osmo Action model is noteworthy. It has an interesting feature - the front screen, which simplifies framing and shooting for a selfie or video blog.
Also in excellent 4K / 60fps quality, stabilization technology to smooth out vibrations and a robust body.
Sony manufacturer is steadily releasing original news.
- The FDR-X3000R has a non-standard shape, but this allowed the use of Optical Steady Shot technology, which prevents shaking and does not depend on the degree of illumination.
- The HDR-AS300 is conveniently mounted on a bicycle or motorcycle helmet. It is lightweight and quite affordable, suitable for beginners.
The Xiaomi brand has become famous thanks to the optimal combination of cost and technical characteristics. Cameras from this manufacturer can also be found.
- Mijia 4K Action has a large convenient screen, allows you to shoot in 4K and supports 6-axis image stabilization.
- Yi 4k + Action gives 4K / 60fps quality, runs on an Ambarella H2 processor. If necessary, it can be placed in a special case to take pictures under water.
Criterias of choice
Models differ in technical characteristics, so you should decide what features and capabilities you need in order not to overpay for unnecessary additions.
- First of all, you need to pay attention to resolution. The quality of the video depends on it.
- Full HD is considered the standard for modern devices, suitable for amateurs, athletes and extreme sports. This is the optimal compromise between the quality and the amount that the recording will occupy on the memory card.
- HD 720p is present in budget models. Such permission is suitable if you are looking for a cheaper option, for example, an inexpensive camera for a child.
- 4K is a professional format with the highest quality, which impresses with its detail. Suitable for those who earn money on video.
- The number of frames per second, or FPS. At a low frequency, the image will appear “twitchy." The higher the indicator, the smoother the picture. For scenes at high speed, from 50 fps is recommended, 25 fps is enough for a normal walk, and if you want to create clips with the effect of time dilation, the best option is 120 fps and higher.
- Stabilization. During shooting, the user actively moves, so shaking is inevitable. A stabilizer is needed to smooth out this effect. Optical ones give better results than digital ones.
- Viewing angle. The size of the shooting area depends on this parameter. Cameras with an angle of 140–160 degrees are considered universal. Some owners prefer 90–120 degrees to minimize distortion and the fisheye effect. There are also models with a capture of up to 360 degrees to conduct panoramic shooting.
- Communication Modules The ability to synchronize with a smartphone simplifies the work with the camera. Using Wi-Fi and a special application, you can view videos, configure shooting settings and compose frames. This eliminates the need to pull out a memory card each time and insert it into another device. Some devices support not only Wi-Fi, but also NFC, Bluetooth.
- Memory card. To ensure that the place does not end at the most inopportune moment, for Full HD format you need at least 32 GB, and if you shoot in 4K, then 128 GB or more. Most cameras allow you to use microSD and SD cards, but before buying it is better to make sure the compatibility of the slots in advance.
- Protection. Action models are not afraid of dust, water splashes, gentle blows. Some are designed specifically for immersion in water - they have markings of IP67 and above.
You can also purchase a protective sealed cover, but with it the sound quality will inevitably deteriorate.
Often, a helmet, helmet or helmet is worn on the forehead with the help of special straps to place the camera. It is convenient and allows you to leave your hands free. There are several types of mounts.
- Lanyards Manufacturers produce special kits, samples of which allow you to mount the equipment both on the head and on the helmet. Belts can have an additional anti-slip coating, the ability to adjust to size.
- Swivel mounts. High strength, suitable for shooting in strong winds or at high speeds. With them, the gadget is installed on the helmet, and this can be done not only from the front, but also from the side.
- Extension cords. These are special devices with a remote design. They are used by skiers. This mount allows the camera to capture everything that happens behind the user.
- Clips. Caps or hats are put on the visor to install the device directly on the headgear. Suitable for walking or hiking, where there is no strong shaking and high speed.
If your mount is fixed with an adhesive base, choose a smooth surface. Before installation, clean it and degrease with an alcohol solution. Then peel off the film and press it to the selected spot as hard as possible. During the day, you should not use a helmet so that the glue has time to grab onto the surface. The choice of mount also depends on the conditions under which you intend to use the camera. Be sure to adjust the viewing angle before starting shooting.
If you use straps - tighten them on your head properly, especially if you plan to actively move and perform any tricks.
In the next video you will find a detailed review of the action camera on the head of the Foream X1.