Saw is an indispensable assistant in solving some domestic problems. Pendulum saws are used in the transverse cutting of wood products, plastic or even metal. Our article will talk about the characteristics and features of the choice of this tool.
The pendulum saw has been used for a long time, before this type of tool was made with a belt drive, the engine was a water mill, and later the steam unit. Today, the power source is an electric or gas engine. The saw is mainly used on sawmills.
A tool like a pendulum works. The circular saw blade is driven by a power unit, which is located in the housing. The design allows the blade to move freely along the prescribed radius. The operator can determine the angle at which the tool will operate. The range of the disc is always strictly limited, but it is much larger than that of a radial saw.
The fact that the saw is powered by a powerful engine allows it to be used for cutting thick and dense material. However, the thickness of the cut object is limited by the size of the blade. All circular saws have this limitation. A pendulum saw is sometimes counterbalanced and is often used when cutting at right angles to the direction of wood fibers. Even if there is protection on the blade, such a tool is very dangerous.
The main characteristic that should be considered when choosing a pendulum saw is the type of engine used by the manufacturer. On sale today are units with two types of engine:
In the collector version, a distinctive feature is high power, however, carbon brushes are quickly erased. Asynchronous power unit lasts longer and produces less noise, however, you can not install the motor on all models of pendulum saws.
The second no less important indicator is the cut width. It can vary from model to model and depends on several factors:
- parameters of the disk, due to which the cut is carried out;
- design features of the tool.
A wide cut can be obtained only when using a disc with the maximum allowable diameter. On all models, the cutting element moves exclusively vertically, so here they are no different. For more expensive models, a guide is provided, which is simply necessary for beginners. Thanks to her, the cut is clear and even, in addition, the canvas easily moves not only forward, but also backward. When comparing tools with the same diameter of the cutting disc, the cut width will be significantly larger precisely in the case of a model with a guide.
If we talk about security, then professionals are advised to purchase a pendulum saw, the design of which has an electrodynamic brake, since it makes it possible to stop work at any second. The safety level of such equipment is much higher.
The efficiency of the saw depends on the stable rotation of the blade. This is one of the reasons why you should look after a model in the design of which additional support for revolutions is provided. This feature will be useful not only for beginners, but also for professionals, since it increases the productivity of the tool.
If it is difficult to determine the cut line, then a laser pointer will come to the rescue. It is not installed on all models, but it is a practical addition, which, however, needs to be adjusted regularly, since the vibration of the pendulum saw knocks it down.
Which are there?
All electric pendulum saws can be divided according to the type of processed material into products:
Electric saws from the first category are able to work with aluminum and other soft and more rigid materials. Some models are sold with a carbide disk and even with a turntable, which greatly simplifies the task. You can buy a product for cutting with a large broach. The metal tool eliminates the thermal effect on this material, thus, mechanical cutting does not affect the composition of the alloy, and therefore the characteristics of the metal do not change.
The cutting tool is an abrasive disk made of carbide material with additional brazing. Such a tool is much safer than a manual one; moreover, it demonstrates in practice high quality cutting. The consumption of cutting discs is very small.
The power of the pendulum saw and the type of disk that stands on it depends on what metal the tool can work with. Non-ferrous and ferrous metals can be processed. If we talk about the scope, then metal saws are used when cutting:
There are for sale swinging saws of lower power, which are used for cutting wood. Such aggregates belong to one of the varieties of circular saws. They are used for trimming timber or cutting wood at right angles. During operation, such an instrument sways like a pendulum, hence the name.
During operation, the operator has the opportunity to follow the cut line, which is very important if no preliminary marking has been applied. Among the shortcomings is the limited width of the cut and the need to put extra effort on the operator. The design uses cutting elements with a diameter of 50 to 65 cm.
Cutting pendulum saws are versatile, as they easily cope with both wood and metal, it is enough to simply install the appropriate cutting element. This is a machine with high precision machining, which is characterized by reliability and safety for the user.
Today, the market of power tools is represented by many popular manufacturers that offer high-quality and reliable pendulum saws (Makita, Hitachi, Enkor, DeWalt). Consider the most popular models.
- The Hitachi CC14SF saw can be safely attributed to professional-grade tools. The model is used for cutting metal, for this a very powerful engine is provided in the design. You can install and replace the cutting disc with a spindle, which acts as a reliable means of fixation. Width and depth of cut - 13 centimeters. The total weight of the structure is 18 kilograms, the cost of the model is 11,300 rubles.
- Model Matabo CS 23-355 works with almost any metal and can withstand heavy loads due to the presence of a powerful power unit and drive in the design. The cutting angle can be adjusted with a clamping device; the shield protects the user from sparks. The cut width and depth are 17.5 cm. The model weighs 17 kilograms and costs 12,700 rubles.
- Makita LC1230 is equipped with a hard-fused disk, on the surface of which there is a carbide edging. There is a dust filter that protects the inside of the instrument. The depth and width of the cut is 11.5 cm, the weight of the saw is 19 kilograms, and its cost is 24,800 rubles.
Based on the fact that pendulum saws are not cheap, the buyer wants to immediately choose a quality tool that does not have to be repaired in the near future. Professionals give the following tips in this direction.
- First of all, it is worth determining - why a pendulum saw is needed and for what purposes it will be used. If these are household tasks, then you can purchase an inexpensive tool with less functionality. For complex work, it is better not to spare money and take a professional unit.
- Pay attention to the level of safety that the model offers (the presence of a protective cover).
- If the tool will be used by a woman or a person who is not very strong, then you should not choose an aggregate of large dimensions. Such saws are very heavy, while working with them will require additional efforts.
- Comfort and convenience should not be at the user's last place, therefore ergonomics also play an important role.
There is a certain safety precaution that the user must follow if he wants to protect himself. First of all, there should not be any foreign objects at the workplace, and the operator should feel good. Slight dizziness or malaise may affect safety during use.
People who have many years of experience with pendulum saws give their recommendations on the operation of this equipment.
- Clothing should sit tight: no loose pants or loose sleeves. The hair should not interfere, and the eyes should always have glasses that protect against accidental rebound of wood or a metal fragment.
- Before you start working with the saw, it is important to check the integrity of the wires and the housing. It is strictly forbidden to use damaged equipment, especially if the disk does not sit well, fasteners are loose or damage is visible on the wire.
- Work is done on the side on which the protective cover is located. This position will help protect against accidental flyout.
- In the blanks, which are supposed to be cut, if it is a tree, there should not be nails and other foreign objects.
- If there are cracks or chips on the wooden material, when approaching the saw, the speed of the revolutions made by the unit must be reduced.
- It is forbidden to use a pendulum saw if the protective cover is removed from it, since at high revolutions a flipped disk can cause serious injury to the operator.
- The cutting element is changed only on a completely de-energized unit.
An overview of the pendulum saw for metal, see the video below.