Cactus mix is a composition of small cactus plants grown in one pallet. Many lovers of these plants are attracted to this particular form of cultivation. However, not everyone knows how to choose the right cacti in a set, how to care for such plants, and how to propagate these representatives of the flora. Before you get such a green home decoration, you need to familiarize yourself with the theory of care, as well as purchase the necessary equipment. Information on all of these issues is presented in this article.
Like any houseplant, a cactus mix has its own unique characteristics. The main points include a few points.
- To grow a “set” of plants, it is necessary to choose such varieties of cacti that get along well with each other. Dutch mixes are often combined in a mix.
- The rule of keeping such a mini-greenhouse is also the same size of all its components. Otherwise, higher cacti will obscure the others, because of which the balance will be upset.
- Each cactus should be placed in a separate container (mainly small pots are used for this). It is advisable that they be made of plastic, which is suitable mainly for young cacti, or from clay. The round shape of the vessels is preferable, since it is thanks to it that the air circulation in the soil improves. All containers with plants are placed close to each other in several rows, due to which a single composition is created.
- The combination of cactus varieties with other types of succulents in one mix is undesirable. Despite the same size of plants, their climate and care needs can vary greatly, which subsequently complicates the growth and development of these representatives of the flora.
- Unlike a simple cactus, mixes look very unusual and creative, since the components harmoniously complement each other and form different compositions. Such a green decor fits well with some interior concepts, such as eco-style.
- Count on flowering plants is only with proper care. For the most part, cacti bloom infrequently and only under ideal conditions.
- The most suitable place for a small greenhouse is a windowsill, because a lot of the light needed for cacti falls on it. However, you should make sure that the plants are not located too close to the radiators.
The group of cacti that make up the composition of the mini-greenhouse can include various types of mini-succulents, each of which, in addition to common features, has individual characteristics. The most popular are several species.
- Gimnokalitsium Mikhanovich is a cactus with an unusual form of a colored stalk with several sharp edges. The color of this small plant can be saturated green, brown or even whitish. Inoculate such a plant on a green cactus stock.
- Espostoa is an unusual type of cactus plant. Its main feature is soft long white hairs instead of the usual prickly needles. Such an instance will successfully dilute the overall composition.
- Red ferocactus is another type of cactus that is suitable for the mix and attracts attention. A feature of the plant is quite long and bright needles. In this case, the size of the stem can be no more than a dozen centimeters. It is colored red, which is very unusual for such a family of plants. The cactus has massive ribs, as well as a not too developed rhizome, growing mainly in breadth.
- Stenocactus is an interesting variety, the hallmark of which is the presence of many folds that form the edges of the stem.
- Dams gymnocalycium is a cactus that begins to bloom at a fairly early age. It is characterized by bright large buds. The plant is not demanding in care.
- A small-flowered cactus has a flattened stalk of small height (about 7 centimeters). The ribs of such a representative of the flora are low. It blooms beautifully. White flowers at the base have a red tint.
- Andre - has an unusual structure. On a dark green stem there are pressed thorns, and when the plant blooms, bushes with many flowers of a bright yellow hue are formed.
Thus, using a variety of unique forms of cacti, you can make a truly atypical mini-greenhouse for every taste. The main thing is to carry out the proper care of each of the varieties and follow the general recommendations on the content of cacti.
The nuances of growing
A cactus mix is not so difficult to care for at home. To do this, it is enough to remember a few basic rules and timely perform procedures that provide plants with comfort.
- Pay attention to the soil. You can buy a ready-made composition for cacti, or you can make the necessary soil mixture yourself using components such as leaf soil, peat, river sand, and charcoal powder. Remember that all components must be decontaminated using steam or heat treatment.
- When the active stage of the growing season begins , it is necessary to supply the soil composition with additional fertilizers, which are usually applied to the soil along with moisture during irrigation. They are sold ready-made and are designed specifically for succulents and representatives of the cactus family. Remember that the introduction of nutrients must be stopped in the fall, as well as 30 days before the expected flowering.
- In order to avoid discomfort in plants growing in the neighborhood , it is necessary to trim the shoots in a timely manner. This must be done carefully, so it is recommended to use only sharp blades or knives.
- As the plants grow, they must be transplanted in a timely manner. The signal to start this procedure will be the growth of the root system to such an extent that it will fill the entire pot. A new pot should slightly exceed the size of the previous one. In the process of transplanting, do not forget to make a drainage layer with a thickness of 1 to 3 centimeters, depending on the height of the container. After the procedure is completed, do not apply moisture to the soil for several days, and fertilizer - for 1-2 months.
- Throughout the year, it is advisable to vary the temperature at which the mix is. In the summer, acceptable values are from +22 to +27 degrees Celsius. In autumn, the temperature level should be lowered to +16 degrees. In winter, it should be approximately 10-12 degrees heat. Remember that the minimum allowable temperature is 7 degrees above zero.
- Watering is a very important procedure for a mini-greenhouse, which is also regulated by the current season. In the summer, more moisture must be added, so the recommended frequency of watering is every other day. Better to do it in the morning. Water should be warm (approximately 30-40 degrees).
If cacti are kept warm in winter, then water should be added to the ground 1-2 times a month. If the plant is located in a room with a lower temperature, then in the winter season you can not water at all. Cacti tolerate this quite normally. With the onset of spring, soil moisture should be gradually resumed.
- During the growth period of cacti, increased humidity will be superfluous. You can create it by covering plants after watering for an hour and a half. As these flora representatives grow, increase the frequency of ventilation of the mini-greenhouse.
- Despite the fact that most cacti need a lot of light, it is desirable that it be scattered. Therefore, during the midday sun, shade the mini-greenhouse slightly so that the rays shine softly.
You can propagate cacti from the mix with the help of cut “kids” that have air roots. After cutting the shoots, you need to dry the cut area for several days so that it is covered with a thin layer of the skin. After this, you need to make a wet soil mixture. It consists of two components: sand and peat. Root the shoot in the soil without deepening it much. Place a support nearby (a small wooden stick or stone). Cover the container with a plastic bag on top to create a greenhouse environment.
If you do not take care of the mix of cacti in a timely manner, then there will be a risk of serious ailments.
- If wintering conditions are not met, the stems of the cacti are bent, and the size of the thorns is reduced.
- If the plants do not have enough light, this can lead to etiolation, in which the cactus stalk stretches and the green color discolors.
- If you drastically lower the temperature at which the mix resides, the stems of the cacti can shrink. Therefore, carry out its smooth decline before wintering.
- Bud growth may stop if cold moisture is applied to the soil after a long break. The buds turn into dried flowers and fall off.
- Monitor sunlight and fertilizer to prevent brown spots on cacti.
Thus, the cactus mix will be a great addition to your home and will delight the eye every day if you carry out painstaking care of each plant and pay attention to changes associated with the flowering period and seasons.
See below for more details.