Increasingly, in bathrooms and toilets you can find things that a few decades ago would have surprised anyone very much. However, scientific progress and advanced technologies have made adjustments to the arrangement of modern premises for this purpose.
Thanks to such devices as a bidet in visits to toilets, it has become much more convenient to perform mandatory hygiene procedures.
What it is?
Some consumers mistakenly assume that a bidet is a type of toilet, since the device is not. Bidet is a type of sanitary ware for hygiene, the scope of which is not limited to use after using the toilet for its intended purpose. Due to the wide range of types of such a plumbing device, there are many options for its installation and location in the bathroom, which allows it to switch from the category of novelties among bathroom fixtures to the category of widely used and multifunctional sanitary ware items. Most bidets are manufactured in accordance with GOST, which applies to plumbing fixtures of this category.
It should be noted the positive dynamics regarding the demand for the operation and installation of the bidet, not only in private houses and apartments, but also in public places. This trend is due to the functionality and aesthetic attractiveness of the equipment, as well as partly fashionable European trends related to the approach to hygiene and the presence of certain appliances in the bathroom. The main task and feature of the bidet is to provide a higher level of comfort for a person during mandatory body hygiene activities. Devices are classified on the basis of many nuances that relate to the external design, configuration, placement options and how to connect to communications.
The standard version of the bidet is in the form of a small bathtub, designed for a number of events. By the type of use, the device resembles a rather specific wash basin or bath. But unlike this plumbing, care for the bidet should be carried out with special care and much more often. In addition, manufacturers offer products that are fundamentally different from the classic bidet model, since the device is used directly on the toilet. Due to the fact that these devices are a two-in-one set.
The main purpose of the bidet in the bathroom is the hygiene of the intimate parts of the body after going to the toilet.
But the convenience of this device and the configuration make it possible to use it as a washbasin for children, who, due to their small stature, do not seem able to use the washstand themselves. A similar option is widely in demand not only in private homes, but also, for example, in child care facilities, camps and others. For babies, a bidet can be used as a bath. For users of advanced age, as well as people with disabilities, you can use the bidet for body hygiene, so as not to get into the bathroom again. In a bidet, for example, it is easier and faster to wash your feet, regardless of the level of capabilities of the motor apparatus.
Most experts agree that the device is not only a worthy replacement for toilet paper, but also to a greater extent increases the hygiene and cleanliness of intimate areas. For an objective assessment of the practicality and feasibility of acquiring a bidet, it is worth noting the pros and cons of the device.
Installation of the device will provide the following advantages:
- high level of genital hygiene after using the toilet;
- for carrying out these procedures will be spent at times less time in comparison with the use of a bath or shower;
- larger sanitary ware, which will be operated less, will need to be washed less often, which will save cleaning compounds and water;
- the bidet is very convenient for use by young children, including games;
- a great option for plumbing for the disabled and the elderly;
- a wide range of products, including a complete set of various components that facilitate operation or require additional functions, for example, a control panel, antibacterial coating and others;
- fairly simple connection and installation options;
- the device unobtrusively demonstrates the level of well-being of homeowners, institutions or institutions;
- long service life;
- ease of use and ease of maintenance.
The disadvantages of this plumbing are as follows:
- for the supply of communications, it is necessary to carry out a partial repair in the bathroom;
- even mini-bidets require a certain place, so in small rooms most of the models cannot be installed;
- electronic equipment needs to be equipped with electricity;
- inexpensive products are most often not repaired;
- the high cost of electronic and touch devices;
- Mobile portable bidets are extremely inconvenient to use.
The classification of devices is based on the following characteristics:
- placement method in the room;
- installation method;
- type of drain.
Based on the first parameter, the bidets are divided into the following products:
- combined models;
- freestanding devices.
The latter variety includes classic versions of the device, reminiscent of a small bathtub on which a mixer is built. In this group, you can select a bidet, where the user controls the water temperature independently, or expensive devices that have a built-in thermostat. Devices can produce ordinary streams of water, jets saturated with air, pulsating or soft fluid delivery options. You can install and connect devices both floor and hanging bidets.
Attachable mechanical covers are mounted on the toilet. Variants of the presented models can be bought in addition to an existing toilet or initially come in the kit. Instrument configuration does not require removal after use. The covers are installed once on the plumbing and are constantly there. In addition, such a product eliminates the need to purchase a lid and seat to the toilet.
The electronic cover works not only as a washing device, but also has a wide range of additional functions. But in order to choose the right kind of bidet, you must be based on who the manufacturer of the product is. Devices of well-known brands have a high cost, however, the risk of acquiring low-quality and short-lived products in this case will be minimal.
Taking into account the installation method, several types of bidets can be distinguished.
- Suspended models that are installed in the wall, while the structure does not touch the floor. Such devices have different dimensions, a special frame is used for fastening. Despite the specific design, these bidets can withstand loads of up to 400 kg. A positive feature is the saving of space in the room when installing the suspension device, the negative qualities include laborious installation and limited access to the drain system.
- Floor bidets are arranged in a standard way, they can have a secret tank. A positive aspect of such models is the easy installation.
Among the shortcomings, the fact that the device occupies a certain part of the room stands out.
- Corner fixtures require installation by hanging or floor, differ in a specific scheme for connecting to the sewer. Due to the fact that it is necessary to install such structures in the corner of the bathroom, they save space, since these areas of the room are usually idle. The disadvantage of a corner bidet is its high cost, as well as laborious installation.
- Portable models are in demand by people who travel often. This model is a shower nozzle.
The sewer outlet for devices can be as follows:
If the installation of a bidet is expected in a newly built residential building, then this characteristic of the device is not so significant. This parameter is important when carrying out repair work in the bathroom, since an inappropriate type of release of the existing sewage system will make installation of a bidet in this room impossible.
As a rule, the products of this line are made of porcelain or faience. Based on the opinion of most manufacturers, the latter type of raw material is of better quality, since its structure has no pores. This feature makes it impossible to absorb odors and contaminants into the surface. The service life of the products is about 50 years. Porcelain products have a higher cost due to the specifics of the production of bidets from this material.
The dimensions of the device are selected, taking into account the area of the bathroom.
Most products have the following sizes:
- depth from 520 to 560 mm;
- width from 330 to 400 mm;
- height varies based on the type of bidet - floor fixtures have 400 mm, hanging wall - 300 mm.
White is still considered the current color for plumbing, but Western trends are gradually making adjustments to the standard ideas about the color scheme in which the basic appliances in the bathroom will be made. Popular world designers offer products of various colors and shades, including even black products. For bold decisions in the design of premises, red or green devices, in harmony with the general style, will become an original and sophisticated choice. Black bidets will come in handy in modern styles such as hi-tech or art deco. Color does not affect the cost of appliances, and the chic that gives the interior a similar accessory will exceed any expectations. The main point is the acquisition of integrated plumbing options made in the same style and color.
For fans of the classics, the bidet comes in many shades of white and beige.
Style and Design
The interior in the bathroom, as a rule, is carried out in one chosen direction, based on which plumbing devices and accessories are selected. Given this trend, manufacturers of bidets and other bathroom fixtures produce products that are designed in the same stylistic direction, most often representing products as entire collections and sets. Classics are presented in the assortment of German brands, for example, Villeroy & Boch . Products are produced in pastel colors with the inclusion of wood inserts.
A separate line in the market stands for handmade bidets from the British trademark Imperial . Devices are finished with gilding and decorated with painting, while creating products adhere to the popular stylistic direction of Art Deco. For bathrooms where the interior meets the cutting edge hi-tech trend, the Kolo and Laufen range of sanitary products offers their collections, which include touch-sensitive models.
Accessories and components
Based on the bidet model, the device is equipped with the necessary components, starting with the mixer. The part can be made of different materials and have various ways of adjusting the water, including a thermostat. In addition, the bidet has a bottom valve or an ordinary plug, in some products there is a water filter, as well as a hose and a watering can to provide greater comfort during operation.
DIY selection and installation
To install a stand-alone device with your own hands, experts recommend sticking to the following scheme:
- First of all, a mixer with a tap is connected;
- further, work is carried out to equip the drainage system and install the siphon;
- the device is put in its place, not fixing fixtures;
- after which water supply pipes are connected;
- an outlet is connected to the siphon, which is discharged into the sewer;
- at the final stage, the fasteners located along the axes are twisted.
Combined bidets are of different types, as for the installation of electronic models, you should rely on the instructions, since they may require electrical power. The lid-bidet is installed on the toilet, the mixer is attached in it, the lid is screwed to the plumbing with screws. Given the recommendations of manufacturers on the installation of devices, placing a bidet in the bathroom is not difficult.
The main thing is to take into account the dimensions of the device and the distance between the toilet and the wall for connecting work.
Manufacturers and reviews
A huge range of products from leading domestic and foreign manufacturers is presented on the modern plumbing market.
Especially popular are Spanish products from Roca , as the products are coated with an antibacterial composition.
According to customer reviews, the Swiss company Geberit offers high-quality products for hygiene.
In addition, bidets Gustavsberg, Grohe, Cersanit are in demand.
The leaders, based on consumer preferences, are products from Villeroy & Boch, Jacob Delafon .
The group of manufacturers whose products have good quality include Jika, Xiaomi brands .
According to customer reviews, plumbing manufactured by unknown Asian companies should be treated with caution, since most of the faience from which bidets and other devices are made is of poor quality and can easily crack.
Tips & Tricks
To make a competent purchase of a bidet, you need to pay attention to the following nuances:
- availability of a warranty card for the product;
- clearly determine the type of design, which directly depends on the bathroom and personal preferences;
- bidet manufacturing material - it is better to give preference to porcelain;
- It is important to understand which drainage system the device has in order to avoid annoying errors.
Good examples and options
The traditional white color of the plumbing in the bathroom can be safely revived with an original addition. A set of appliances, including a bidet, decorated with a gold-colored insert and a faucet to match the decor, will allow the room to acquire unobtrusive luxury, demonstrating the good taste and well-being of homeowners.
There is no better color combination than black and white. The bathroom, designed in the classical style with the partings of the correct form, made in black and white, does not need any decoration, since the devices bring a finishing touch to the overall interior, correctly placing the accents.
See how to install a bidet in the next video.