In the modern world, action cameras are extremely popular. They allow you to make videos and photos in the most unusual and extreme moments of life. Many owners of this device at least once thought about purchasing a monopod . This accessory is also called a selfie stick, it allows you to use the camera with maximum comfort.
What it is?
The monopod for the action camera consists of a handle with buttons for control and mounting for the device. The Japanese came up with it back in 1995. Then the accessory was on the list of the most useless gadgets. Years later, people appreciated the selfie stick.
In fact, a monopod is a kind of tripod. True, the support is only one, not three, as in the classic versions. The monopod is mobile, which is its main advantage. Some models are even able to stabilize the image.
What is it used for?
A monopod for an action camera allows you to record videos from unusual angles without any help. And the distance makes it possible to place more people in the frame or capture a major event.
Monopods floats are placed on the surface of the water to film the underwater world. In a word, the accessory significantly increases the capabilities of the owner of an action camera.
A monopod tripod allows you to make high-quality videos using an action camera with maximum comfort. There are several types of accessory.
- Telescopic monopod . It is the most common. It works on the principle of a folding stick. Length can vary from 20 to 100 centimeters. When unfolding, the handle can be locked in position. Longer models can be displayed several meters and have a higher cost.
- Monopod float . The floating device allows you to shoot in water. Standardly looks like a rubberized handle without the possibility of extension. Such a monopod does not get wet, always remains on the surface of the water. The kit usually has the action camera itself and the mount-strap. The latter is put on the hand so that the monopod does not accidentally slip out. More interesting models look like ordinary floats and have a bright color scheme.
- Transparent monopod. Typically, such models are also floating, but this is not necessary. The handle is completely transparent. Such a monopod will not spoil the frame, even if it gets into it. Accessories of this kind are lightweight. If the model is floating, then it can be immersed to great depths. In general, it was originally a transparent accessory and was invented for use in water.
- Multifunctional monopod. Commonly used by professionals. It has many features and bells and whistles. In ordinary life, it is simply not needed. It is worth noting that such models are especially expensive.
Monopods are manufactured by many companies. When choosing it is worth focusing solely on your needs. We list several popular manufacturers.
- Xiaomi Famous brand, familiar to many. Of particular interest is the Xiaomi Yi monopod. It is compact and lightweight, so it’s great for traveling. The telescopic handle extends the shooting possibilities. Aluminum as the main material guarantees strength and reliability with low weight. No need to use adapters, as the monopod is compatible with various cameras. However, the manufacturer uses low quality foam rubber in the handle. The safety cord is also loose and there is a risk of breakage. Plastic tripod sockets therefore break quickly.
- POV Pole . The company offers an excellent monopod, which comes in two sizes. There are non-slip handles. Folding and unfolding a monopod is quite simple. Fixing to the required length is reliable. The case itself is durable and durable. The model is not afraid of moisture. Some cameras will have to purchase adapters. Install the monopod on a tripod does not work.
- AC Prof. The handle consists of three folding parts. A multifunctional monopod practically does not fall into the frame due to its thoughtful design. The extension cord has a compartment for storing small parts. It can be completely disconnected using only the handle. It is possible to mount it in the form of an ordinary tripod - a standard tripod is hidden in the handle. The monopod is completely plastic, which means it is not very reliable. The maximum length is 50 cm, and it is not always enough.
- Yunteng S-188 . The manufacturer offers users a model with maximum practicality. When unfolded, the monopod reaches 123 cm, which is very convenient. The handle is made of rubber, and the case itself is made of durable metal. The clamp is elastic, there are two mounting formats. The coating is not afraid of mechanical stress. The tilt head allows you to experiment with a shooting angle. Using a mirror made of chromed plastic, you can monitor the frame. In salt water, some monopod sites are oxidized, and this should be taken into account. Safety cord unreliable; adapter required.
- Yottafun. The brand offers users a monopod with a control panel that works up to 100 cm from the camera. The remote control can be fixed with a clip, which is also in the kit. Rubber handle, non-slip. Thickened metal makes the model particularly durable. The remote allows you to control four cameras at once, which is convenient in many situations. Monopod is not afraid of moisture, which expands the possibilities of use. It is worth noting that because of the remote control, immersion in water is only 3 meters.
A monopod for an action camera should simplify its use, make video recording as comfortable as possible. Key selection criteria include several points.
- Compactness . The telescopic monopod is virtually universal. It is easy to carry. Another option is to choose only if a specific survey is ahead.
- It is convenient if the selfie stick can, if necessary, be connected not only to an action camera, but also to a smartphone or camera.
- Reliability The action camera is used in extreme situations, and the monopod must withstand them.
- Cost . Here everyone should focus on their budget. However, this criterion is important. If you want to spend less, then you should limit yourself to universal functionality.
There are additional nuances that may be important for some users. So, not all monopods can be used with an ordinary tripod ; you should find out about this in advance if necessary. There are models that are designed only for specific action cameras . Others can be connected, but with an additional adapter.
See tips on how to choose the right monopod.