One of the most important devices for biologists, jewelers and scientists, as well as people who have poor vision, is a magnifier. There are many varieties, but the most popular is manual.
Handheld magnifier is a simpler device than a microscope or other complex magnifying devices. The options for its use are very diverse, because the device is used in many areas of society.
Unlike a tripod magnifier, a manual researcher holds it in his hands. It can be rotated at any angle, which is very convenient. However, the manual gain is not as strong as the tripod one.
Hand magnifier consists of a pen, a magnifying lens and a frame. In the budget version, plastic is used in the manufacture of handles and frames, and in the more expensive one, metal. Options for increasing the handheld magnifier from 2 to 20 times. Using a handheld magnifier is easy. It must be picked up and focused on the subject, moving closer and farther away from the subject in question.
Lenses in magnifiers are small (pocket) and quite large. There are many other types of magnifying glass. Technology is evolving today, and the functionality of optical devices is expanding and improving.
The most popular brands are Levenhuk, Bresser, Kenko and others. Magnifiers are made of quality materials. Some of these designs are truly unique.
Let us consider in more detail the main parts of the structure of this subject.
- Magnifying lens. The surfaces of both sides of the lens are curved outward. The rays of light that pass through the lenses gather at the focal point. This point is located on either side of the magnifying glass. The distance from the center to this point is called focal. It ranges from 20 to 200 mm. A magnifier optics system may consist of one or more lenses. On the frame there is a designation of the increase, for example, 7x, 10x, 15x. It shows how many times the subject approaches the eye.
- A pen. It can be straight, curved or folding.
- Frame. The modern design of the magnifier can be performed even without a rim. This is done so that it does not interfere with the review. Such a magnifier looks like a lens with a handle attached to it, and at the place of contact there is a built-in backlight.
- Backlight To illuminate magnifying devices, fluorescent or LED lamps are used, which serve for a long time and without fail.
How did a magnifier appear? Its inventor is Antonio Levenguk. He spent all his free time on various experiments with magnifying glasses. At that time they were weak and increased slightly. Then he came up with the idea of creating a magnifying glass. He began polishing glass and was able to achieve a 100-fold increase. Through such lenses one could see various, very small objects. Levenguk liked to observe insects, examined the petals of plants and bees. In the process, the inventor sent letters describing his research to the Royal Society in England. Its discovery was recognized and confirmed on November 15, 1677.
Hand loops are an integral attribute of many professions. Depending on the scope of use, its structure is slightly different.
For example, a magnifier for numismatists is completely in a metal case. It should have a 30-fold increase, 2 LED flashlights and one with ultraviolet light, which are located on the handle of the lens. Inside there is a place for batteries.
An ultraviolet flashlight can determine the authenticity of banknotes and the presence of prints. LED flashlights are needed for good lighting of the studied subject. They allow you to see the entire relief, the smallest scratches and microcracks on the coin.
In the watchmaker profession, despite the use of head-mounted magnifying glasses, there is always a hand-held magnifier at hand. The complex and thin assembly of the watch mechanism requires an increase in different multiples.
And there is also a need for manual loops in professions such as biologist, jeweler, archaeologist, scientist, art critic, restorer, forensic investigator, cosmetologist, physician and many others.
Many have read fascinating stories about Sherlock Holmes. His main instrument, which he never let go of, was precisely a hand-held magnifier. It is still kept at the Sherlock Holmes Museum in London.
In the field of modern forensics, a magnifier is a necessary tool for examining a crime scene. Of course, forensic devices are different from home options. They are complex mechanisms of different configurations, magnifications and sizes.
Magnifiers are divided into several categories.
There are special ruler loops with which you can select a whole line of a book or bookmark it in the right place. They increase the font 3-5 times.
They are convenient to use at home and on the road.
There is a measuring magnifier. It includes a scale for measurement. It is used in the engineering field, it differs in a significant magnification factor, and allows to increase the subject up to 10 times.
It solves a wide range of tasks in the repair of mechanisms, the drawing of diagrams and the image of devices.
There is a magnifier specifically for reading text or viewing small pictures. It is not only round, but also square, which is very convenient when reading books. It can be used not only at home, but also on the road. The lenses in it allow you to transmit a clear image.
She has a very comfortable handle and a small frame.
A grain magnifier is used to clean seeds and determine their quality. Unlike other models, she has a special bezel that does not allow the objects under consideration to crumble.
A textile magnifier is used in the textile industry to identify tissue defects and their density. Most often, it is quite large and has a folding case.
Watch loops are used in workshops. They have a very small size, but a strong increase. This is necessary to consider the smallest watch mechanisms.
There are special loops that are used to view frames from the film.
Now they are practically not produced, because film cameras have long gone out of the everyday life of people.
Pocket magnifiers are often used in everyday life and are in great demand. For example, in a store, when it is difficult to read the small print.
To free the hands, manual magnifiers moved to a kind of mount in the form of tripods. Magnifiers on tripods and desktop lenses are an important tool for those who work with small objects.
How to choose?
Before deciding on the choice and purchase of a magnifying glass, you need to evaluate what you will use it for. Reading, crafts, working with small objects, research and evaluation of objects of art, as well as jewelry - all this requires the use of loops with different magnifications.
- It is important to consider the material the lens is made of. If it is glass, then it is likely that if it falls, it may break. Such lenses are best used in places where glass fragments do not harm. That is, in a house where there are young children, it is worth choosing a magnifier with a plastic lens. However, plastic also has disadvantages. It easily scratches and loses its properties. Polymer acrylic is the most popular material. It does not beat so often and is scratched less.
- Consider how much magnification you need. Magnifiers are used to enlarge objects, texts and images. It is the degree of increase that is an important indicator. It is expressed in diopters. The larger, the larger the subject that we will consider. But here it is important to consider the focal length. It is worth choosing such a power that this indicator does not limit anything during operation.
- The backlight is always useful.
- The design of the magnifier will vary depending on the activity for which it is needed.
- Color is not so important, but also a criterion to consider. Black or white magnifiers are the most popular, but you can make to order any other colors and designs.
An overview of Levenhuk Zeno magnifying loops can be found in the next video.