In order to provide the child with a high-quality and healthy sleep, it is necessary to responsibly approach the choice of fabric for sewing bed linen. It must meet all safety requirements, be soft and pleasant to the touch.
Falling asleep in a bed with bedding made of such materials, the baby will gain strength and energy for the knowledge of the world.
Characteristics of children's fabrics
For the arrangement of a crib, quality materials should be selected. They must meet basic requirements.
- Be safe for the baby. Bedding should not emit harmful substances that can lead to dermatitis, allergic rashes, skin itching and other problems. In the manufacture of such materials should not be used chemically “aggressive” dyes.
- Hygroscopic. Often during the night or daytime sleep, the children sweat, so the bedding should absorb excess moisture well and dry quickly.
- Good air leak. Natural circulation will allow the skin to "breathe", thereby creating favorable conditions for quality relaxation.
- Contribute to the lack of static accumulation.
- Differ in color fastness. Sometimes it happens that patterns with colorful and bright tissue after sleep remain on the skin of the child. This should not be.
- Be comfortable. The material of the bedding should create a pleasant tactile sensation when in contact with the body.
- Have sufficient strength and wear resistance. The fact is that bedding in a crib gets dirty much more often than in an adult. Therefore, it is important that the material can withstand more than a dozen washings while maintaining its original qualities.
- Ease of care. This is an optional criterion. However, any parent will appreciate if the fabric is easy to wash, quickly dry and smooth without much effort.
An important selection criterion is the appearance of the fabric. Before falling asleep, many children look at the drawings on a duvet cover, pillowcase or sheet. Therefore, the images on the bedding should be unobtrusive, but attractive to babies.
Types of Tissues
For sewing bedding, fabrics made from natural fibers are best suited. They meet most of the requirements for the quality of children's underwear. Consider the features, advantages and disadvantages of some of them.
This is a thin cotton fabric that does not have artificial fibers. Its advantages include absolute safety for the baby's health, lightness and affordable cost. The disadvantage of chintz is its low wear resistance, which is why this material is able to “lose” appearance after several washings.
Dense material having a silky structure. It does not “shrink” during washing and practically does not wrinkle. In addition, its advantages include high wear resistance and excellent aesthetic qualities.
However, few prefer such material because of its high cost.
Such a fabric perfectly absorbs excess moisture, promotes natural air circulation, “cools” the skin in the summer heat and warms it in coolness. This fabric makes beautiful bedding. A wide variety of shades and patterns allows you to choose the material for every taste. However, this fabric also has disadvantages.
The disadvantages include its stiffness and low density, because of which linen can quickly “fail”.
This is one of the most pleasant to the touch fabrics. It is characterized by softness, hygroscopicity, safety and durability. This warm material will not cause allergic rashes in the child and will contribute to a comfortable and healthy sleep. The disadvantages of this material are minor. These include shrinkage, long drying and abrasion of the pile during operation.
This material is characterized by high hygroscopicity, financial availability, and practicality. It is light and pleasant to the touch. The disadvantages of this fabric include the possibility of shrinkage, rapid fading when exposed to sunlight, creasing.
Such material will not be able to last long.
Natural material with the best hygienic qualities. It quickly absorbs the formed moisture, helps maintain optimal temperature conditions. In addition, flax has bactericidal properties. The material prevents the development and active reproduction of bed mites and other microorganisms. Has such a fabric and cons. These include excessive rigidity and high price.
Due to these characteristics, flax is not suitable for babies.
Natural material based on bamboo fibers has recently gained popularity. It is used to make bedding for babies and for older children. Bamboo is famous for its antimicrobial qualities, hygroscopicity and hypoallergenicity. Bedding sets made of this fabric are suitable for babies with sensitive and delicate skin. The significant disadvantages of bamboo include its high cost.
Some manufacturers produce bedding for children from mixed fabrics. Such materials are obtained by “mixing” natural fibers with synthetic ones. As a result, beautiful-looking fabrics are obtained that do not “sit down” during washing, practically do not crease, are easily erased and are durable. However, such fabrics have poor hygiene. In addition, they accumulate static electricity, making the child’s sleep uncomfortable.
The best fabrics for a baby bed are completely natural. Among the vast variety of such materials, linen, cotton and bamboo are considered the best.
If parents want to ensure the best possible quality and comfortable rest for their child, you should choose bedding from these natural fabrics.
When choosing a set of bedding or fabric for a duvet cover, pillowcase or sheet, you should consider its color. Scientists have long proved that the color scheme can affect the psyche of a child, his mood and behavior.
When buying fabric in a baby crib, it is better to choose products of gentle pastel colors. White and milky shades will help to calm and relax the child, ensuring his quick going to bed. Also, pale blue, pale pink and beige tones of bedding “help to fall asleep”. It is important to note that there should not be numerous bright images on accessories. It is better that the number of pictures is limited, and their colors are light.
Bright colors such as green, red, orange, blue are able to charge children with energy and give them energy. Due to these features, bedding with such shades is recommended for beds of babies who are already beginning to show interest in games.
When choosing fabrics for a children's sleeping set, you should refuse to purchase dark materials. Blue, black, purple, dark brown colors will cause the child a sense of anxiety.
Bed linens of such colors will not allow the baby to relax and quickly fall asleep.
To choose the best fabric for a duvet cover, pillowcase and sheet, you should consider a number of important points.
- The material should be smooth to the touch. The uneven texture formed by appliqués and inserts can cause discomfort when it comes in contact with the delicate skin of a child.
- From the fabric should blow an unobtrusive textile scent. If it smells sharply, you need to abandon its acquisition. In this case, there is a high risk of buying material in the production of which low-quality dyes were used.
- Before purchasing fabric, you should ask the seller to provide related documentation, such as a quality certificate. If there are no papers, it is better to buy the material in another store.
- It is best to buy bedding fabrics in large retail outlets specializing in the sale of children's textiles.
- Polish, Turkish and Russian materials are considered one of the best in terms of quality and price.
Observing all the recommendations listed above, you can easily purchase high-quality and beautiful fabric for a stylish children's bedding set.
See the following video for tips on choosing baby bedding.