What could be worse than a fire? At the moment when people are surrounded by fire, and synthetic materials that emit toxic substances burn around, self-rescuers can help. You need to know everything about them in order to be able to use them in a critical situation.
What is it and what is it for?
Personal respiratory and visual protective equipment (RPE) was created and developed to save a person when the environment itself poses a threat to human security. For example, fires or the release of toxic chemicals in technology plants.
Mines, oil and gas platforms, flour mills - all of them have an increased fire hazard category. Statistics show that during fires, most people die not from fire, but from poisoning by smoke, poisonous fumes.
All fire fighting personal rescue equipment are divided into two types:
Isolating RPDS completely block the access of harmful substances from the environment to humans. The design of such a kit includes an oxygen cylinder. In the first moments, a briquette with an oxygen-releasing composition is activated . Such remedies are divided into general and special purposes.
If the former are intended for those who are fighting for their own lives, the latter are used by rescuers.
Filtering fire protection equipment is ready to work, designed for children from 7 years old and adults. Compact size, ease of operation, low cost - all this makes these products available to a wide range of consumers. But the minus is that they are disposable.
Popular brands of filter media include Phoenix and Chance. In cases of man-made disasters, terrorist acts, when toxic chemicals are in the air, they will save many human lives.
Consider the characteristics of the insulating kit.
- A person can be in this type of RPD for up to 150 minutes. It depends on several parameters - respiratory rate, activity, balloon volume.
- They can be heavy, up to four kilograms, while creating inconvenience and stress.
- The most admissible temperature: +200 C - no more than a minute, the average temperature is + 60C.
- The life of the insulating rescuers is five years.
Features of the Chance filtering model.
- Protection time from 25 minutes to one hour, it depends on the presence of toxic substances.
- It has no metal parts, the mask is held by elastic fasteners. This makes donning and adjusting easier.
- Almost all models are equipped with filters no heavier than 390 g, and only a few reach a weight of 700 g.
- Hood resistance to damage and bright color increase the possibility of rescue.
Properties of the Phoenix self-rescuer.
- Usage time - up to 30 minutes.
- A capacious volume that allows you to not take off your glasses, it can be worn by people with a beard and large hair.
- Can be used for a child - its weight is 200 g.
- Good review, but does not tolerate temperatures above 60 C.
Which rescue equipment is better depends on the situation, but still an isolating self-rescuer gives a higher guarantee of protection. On February 1, 2019, a national standard came into force - GOST R 58202-2018. Organizations, companies, institutions are required to provide employees and visitors to the RPD.
The place of storage of protective equipment has a sign of designation in the form of a red-white stylized image of a person’s head in a gas mask.
How to use?
During an emergency, you must be calm. Panic in such cases can deprive a person of all chances of salvation. The first thing to do during the evacuation is to get the mask out of the sealed bag. Then insert your hands into the opening, stretching it to put on your head, while not forgetting that the filter should be opposite the nose and mouth.
The hood should fit snugly to the body, the hair is tucked inward, clothing items do not interfere with the fit of the rescue hood. Elastic band or belts allow you to adjust the fit. In an emergency, the self-rescuer needs to be used as quickly as possible, without forgetting to do everything right.
For a detailed overview of the SIP-1M insulating fire self-rescuer, see the next video.