Many gardeners believe that the presence of ornamental shrubs in the infield is simply necessary. This creates the unique beauty of the landscape, its simplicity and elegance. White Derain "Elegantissima" is one of the favorite plants of garden design specialists and amateur gardeners.
Behind the derain, the people firmly strengthened the name Krasnotal because of the red color of the bark of its shoots. He is so unpretentious about leaving that perfectly survives in the wild in the conditions of the Siberian frosts. Derain white "Elegantissima", the Latin name Cornus alba Elegantissima, is one of the many varieties of this plant of the cornel family. This is a perennial deciduous shrub with large oval leaves 10-12 cm in size, framed by a creamy white border. On the olive-green background of leaf plates there are always spots, strokes and specks in the color of the border. Variegated leaf color is a sign of high decorative shrub.
Flowering occurs twice a year. The first time the derain blooms in May, and the second time - closer to the fall. This is a very beautiful sight when the bushes are covered with many inflorescences, umbrellas, consisting of white flowers. The decorative bluish-colored beads that appear after flowering are inedible. Sometimes for the second time, a white dehren bush may not bloom if the weather in the season was unfavorable or the area where it grows is not well lit.
Derain easily transfers the polluted air of the city and the high concentration of exhaust gases in it. Good winter hardiness of this species is an indisputable advantage in the conditions of our harsh winters.
Differences from other varieties
Different varieties of derren have many similar botanical features, however, the popular species "Elegantissima", "Siberian Variegat" and "Aurea" differ significantly from each other.
- In terms of the size of an adult plant - "Elegantissima" can grow up to 3 m in height, and "Sibirika Variegata" and "Aurea" only up to 2 m, in diameter can grow up to 5 m and up to 2-2.5 m, respectively.
- By the color of the leaves - at “Elegantisima” the leaves are light olive green, which does not change in autumn, at “Sibirika Variegata” - dark green, with a purple tint by autumn, and at “Aurea” the leaves change color several times during the season - first they burgundy brown, then gradually turn green, then become lemon yellow, and red again in the fall. This property of the Aurea variety is very popular with gardeners.
- The color of the inflorescences of Elegantissima is white , the Siberian variegata is creamy, and the flowers of Aurea are creamy white. When flowering, bushes of all varieties of derain with a pleasant strong aroma attract many bees to inflorescences.
I must say that the “Elegantissima” grows faster than its “sisters”, forms a more magnificent crown and there are usually much more berries on it.
To propagate the shrub, you can use seeds, cuttings and layering. All these types of breeding can be practiced, but with varying effectiveness.
Ripe seeds are harvested in the fall. Their germination can last up to 5 years, but to get a good result it is better to take fresh ones and carry out stratification. To do this, place the seeds in a moistened mixture of sawdust, moss and peat and incubate for 3-4 months at a temperature of 4-5 ° C. At home, a container with planting material can be placed in the refrigerator in the vegetable compartment. Seed stratification can also be entrusted to mother nature by planting them right in the ground before winter.
When breeding with seeds, plants develop very slowly and reach the parameters of an adult bush only 8-10 years after planting. This is the most labor-intensive way of breeding. It takes too long to plant young bushes in a permanent place, so this method is practically not used.
Cuttings for planting need to be prepared in the summer, at the end of June or at the beginning of July. Flexible shoots with ripened wood, with at least two internodes, are suitable for this. Selected branches need to be cleaned from the lower leaves, and the upper ones should be cut in half. For the formation of roots, cuttings are placed in water for about 7-9 days. The water level should be slightly higher than the lower internodes. When small roots grow a little (up to about 1 cm), the branches are planted in the ground until spring, preferably in a small greenhouse. It is important to know that when planting with green cuttings, plants take root with difficulty and can freeze in winter.
Much more hardy than green, two-year-old ripened cuttings-growths with lignified bark. They root well, as they have root buds along the entire length. In spring, you need to choose a good strong bush, cut off the shoot from it and bend it a little to check for suitability. Unsuitable cuttings will not completely straighten or even break.
For the selected cuttings, a temporary planting site is prepared, these are boxes with nutritious soil made of sand and humus. The soil before planting is slightly moistened, the cuttings are buried in the ground at an angle of 45 degrees. For the normal development of planting material, the soil is regularly sprayed, avoiding waterlogging. It is desirable to withstand the temperature regime of 20-35 ° C, for this, boxes with plantings are placed in a greenhouse. In autumn, cuttings are fully prepared for planting in a permanent place.
Propagation by layering is the most optimal option for the Elegantissima variety. To do this, in the spring you need to bend one young twig from the lowest shoots to the soil from an adult bush, dig it into the ground by about 10 cm and fix it with a metal "hairpin" or just wire. An indispensable condition for the successful formation of roots on the lay is the constant humidity of the branch digging site, therefore, regular and timely watering is necessary. The root system of layering by autumn should be finally formed. Already in the autumn, a young bush can be planted from the mother, but experts recommend that it is better to do this in the spring, when the layers are well strengthened.
The subtleties of landing
The flowering shrub of degrand "Elegantissima" becomes three years after planting. The bush can grow up to 3 m in height and grow in one place for 50-60 years. This circumstance should always be considered when choosing a landing site so that the landscape composition remains harmonious for a long time.
Dehren "Elegantissima" grows best in open sunny or slightly shaded areas with fertile, moderately moist soil with a neutral or slightly alkaline reaction. The bush can feel good on loams, if they are enriched with organic matter (peat, compost) and properly applied top dressing. It does not tolerate only sandy loam soils, since it is a moisture-loving plant, and sand does not hold water well.
The planting of seedlings of derain should be treated with all responsibility. It is best to plant a shrub in the fall before the onset of cold weather, so that the root system adapts well in the new environment and strengthens. Such a seedling will quickly grow in the spring. However, you can plant and throughout the growing season, with good care, the plant will take root and will actively grow. The following work will need to be done.
- About two weeks before the deadline for planting Elegantissima siren, the site needs to be dug up and fertilized with mineral and organic fertilizers (wood ash, peat, last year's compost, humus). On this site, plants can not be fed for several years.
- First you need to prepare a landing pit larger than an earthen coma on the roots of a seedling. If several plants are planted, the pits are placed at a distance of at least 1.5 m. The soil selected from the pit must be enriched with humus, complex mineral fertilizers and mixed well.
- With a high occurrence of groundwater at the bottom of the pit, you need to lay a drainage layer (broken brick, expanded clay will do), fill up with prepared soil to about half, and pour plenty of water.
- The roots of the seedling should also be properly moistened and left for 10-15 minutes.
- Then the derain with all care, without damaging the roots, together with a lump of earth should be placed in the landing pit. The remaining soil is poured there and the trunk circle is carefully compacted with your hands.
- The plant is once again watered abundantly and mulched with a layer of sawdust or needles to protect the soil from drying out.
Care for derain is minimal and does not require special knowledge. Plants overwinter perfectly and do not get wet in melt spring waters. To grow on their site the most beautiful ornamental shrubs without any hassle can any novice gardener.
- Trunk circles of young bushes of the first year of life throughout the season should be carefully loosened so that air access to the roots is sufficient.
- The soil should always be moderately moist. Adult plantings can not be watered, they cost moisture from the soil and from rains. However, in hot, dry weather, you should still water the plantings one and a half to two buckets of water per bush every two weeks.
- Once every 3-4 years, derain is fed with humus and wood ash. Top dressing improves the decorative effect of the garden landscape, plants look well-groomed, smart, healthy,
- The main element of white care for Elegantissima white dengue is pruning; this variety easily tolerates it. The bushes begin to prune from the age of 3, at the first pruning, 1/3 of all shoots are cut, choosing damaged branches for this first. White Degrand "Elegantissima" has the ability to grow very quickly in width, therefore, one should not neglect the pruning so that the bushes do not become impenetrable thickets and do not lose their attractiveness. It is best to do 2-3 trimmings per season. Old bushes are cut lower, leaving 15-20cm above the ground. For processing sections, you can use wood ash or powdered activated carbon to protect the plantings from possible infections. Once every few years, old plantings are renewed by complete cutting of bushes at the root, derain easily refers to this procedure and quickly grows to its previous size.
- "Elegantissima" is almost not affected by pests, they are scared away by the taste of its juice. Damage to the plantations of turf aphids is possible. If it is found, it is necessary to urgently treat the plantings with insecticides or use folk remedies, such as a yarrow broth, infusion of onions and potato tops.
Observing these simple rules for the care of derain, you can constantly admire the unique design of your garden.
The name of the variety "Elegantissima" fully justifies itself - in any area the plant will look noble and elegant. Its value for landscape design is due to the fact that the derain is highly decorative, easy to breed, unpretentious in maintenance, decorates the garden plot both during the growing season and in winter. In spring, the garden landscape is enlivened by blooming leaves, in summer and autumn - lush flowering and elegant colorful foliage, and in winter, snow-white snowdrifts are decorated with an expressive painting of purplish-red shoots.
A variety of shapes are formed from the crown of derene with the help of trimming - a column, a hemisphere, a ball, a cube. Experienced designers often experiment with pruning, annually change the shape of the bushes and can even create the shape of an exotic animal. Plantations look good on the site both individually and in group plantings. They are often used to create hedges or to mask farm buildings. Elegant and visually light bush "Elegantissima" can be an original decoration in front of the house.
In combination with decorative conifers, such as juniper, or shrubs with red leaves, designers create unique compositions from the white elegantissima deren that can cause admiration of the most strict connoisseur.
On how to properly propagate the delen white "Elengantissima", see the next video.