For a long time beds - "folding beds" have established themselves as a practical and compact piece of furniture in small apartments. With their help, you can successfully organize the space, replacing the crib with such a berth for the child.
The old models of chair-beds were not very convenient - the geometry of their pillows was imperfect, which made it unpleasant to sleep on such a design due to joints and "differences" between the segments of the bed.
In addition, sleep on such beds did not harm the fully formed children's spine and was fraught with problems with posture in the future.
Modern modifications have become more reliable and comfortable and are very popular in families with preschool children from 3 years old. This article will talk about the pros and cons of such beds, about their main varieties and materials, about the rules of choice and the most popular models.
Advantages and disadvantages
As already mentioned, families with small children living in small apartments appreciated the benefits of rollaway beds.
- the possibility of successfully organizing space in the daytime;
- compactness and lightness, facilitating transportation when moving;
- the simplicity of the mechanisms, which helps children to fold and lay out such beds on their own;
- environmental Safety;
- some models are equipped with a laundry box;
- interesting and diverse design options that allow you to choose a model specifically for a boy or girl;
- the possibility of acquiring a sample with replaceable covers, so that, if necessary, “update” the appearance of the chair or replace a damaged cover.
However, this type of furniture and disadvantages are not without:
- the sleeping surface often has joints, so rest on such a bed will not be full, and a child’s fragile spine can bend;
- the wear of this furniture is higher than ordinary, “adult” sofas and armchairs. The mechanism is displayed at least twice a day, and it is impossible to keep hyperactive children from jumping on elastic pillows;
- for children under the age of five to six years old, spring-loaded models will not work - their rigidity will not be sufficient;
- if the model is not equipped with interchangeable covers, the appearance of the chair, especially in the form of an animal, a car, a cartoon character, may soon annoy a grown-up child;
- often the price of a quality chair is very high;
- It is worth emphasizing that a folding chair will not work as a permanent sleeping place for a fairly adult child, and it will have to be replaced with a full bed.
Therefore, the choice of a children's folding chair should be approached with special responsibility and weigh the pros and cons, planning to make a purchase.
Types and device
Manufacturers of children's furniture offer a wide selection of folding chairs equipped with a wide variety of mechanisms.
All models can be divided into three groups:
- equipped and not equipped with armrests (which play the role of protective sides);
- having orthopedic mattress or not;
- with a sliding or withdrawable mechanism.
Each sign of classification is worth considering in more detail. The samples without armrests, as a rule, look more elegant and neat, but for small children who toss and turn in their sleep, it is easier to fall with unprotected sides of the bed.
There are two options with armrests:
- With armrests closed. The sides of such models are quite high, and the armrests are made of wood or made soft. The second type is safer, because there is no risk of bruising about them;
- With open armrests. These are models with low or absent sidewalls and "through" armrests. Of course, they won’t block the child’s view and protect them from falling at night, but during the game during the day, they can get stuck in them.
Serious requirements are placed on orthopedic mattresses. They are equipped with beds, consisting of several segments, and they are designed to provide a comfortable and convenient position of the child's body during rest.
Therefore, its surface should be smooth, without bends and distortions. To assess the quality of such a mattress, you can lie on it yourself and relax - then it will become clear whether it is worth buying (or buying a bed with such a mattress).
The arrangement of mechanisms for chair-beds can vary in complexity. It is important to choose an easy-to-operate mechanism that provides the convenience and orthopedic reliability of a berth.
An ideal option in this regard is the accordion mechanism, which really resembles a harmonica when folded. Two thirds of the mattress are folded into the back of the chair, one in the seat. When unfolded, such a chair does not have uncomfortable joints and will be ideal for sleeping. By the way, most of these models are available without armrests, however, it is better to find a sample with sides.
A chair with a roll-out type of mechanism can be prepared even for a child by the time of sleep. You can extend the bottom panel by the loop and turn the backrest without much effort - and the bed will be ready. Since beds with such a device consist of three sections, it is worth purchasing an additional orthopedic mattress. The main advantages of these models are their low height and the presence of a built-in linen box in some of them. Thus, you can save space in the nursery.
You should not buy models with mechanisms such as "click-gag", "dolphin" and "French clamshell" for young children - they are difficult to use and suitable for adolescents. The main requirement for the mechanism, regardless of its type, is the ease of transforming the chair into a bed, without hassle and noise. If the mechanism "sticks" and creaks during the layout, this indicates its low quality and warns of an imminent breakdown.
There are also such unusual varieties of folding chairs as bunk beds and models with a berth in the "attic" (the lower tier is reserved for the playing area). However, they are not suitable for children from 3 years old, since the sides will not always be able to prevent a fall from the "upper floor".
Now in the kid’s room they often put a deck chair or, for example, a rocking chair. It is becoming more and more popular.
Materials and Fillers
Since the health of the child almost directly depends on the quality of the chair-bed, you need to pay special attention to the composition of materials and fillers for this furniture.
The cheapest models are those with a frame made of chipboard, but they do not meet the strength requirements and are unsafe for the child's body. Therefore, it is better to give preference to structures made of wooden beams or metal tubes. Their resistance to wear, durability and environmental friendliness are very high.
As a rule, the best and highest quality wooden beds are made from solid pine needles. Special impregnations (environmentally friendly) that process the frame do not allow such beds to become moldy if the room is damp.
However, in terms of strength, folding chairs on a tubular metal (steel or aluminum) frame are in the lead. For resistance to moisture, the tubes are coated with anti-corrosion compounds that have passed safety testing. In addition, special metal processing reduces the risk of deformation and mechanical damage to the frame.
When choosing a mattress filler, it is important to find materials:
- sufficiently rigid and durable;
- high quality;
- if possible natural.
One of the best options is polyurethane foam filler. At the same time, a sheet of this material should be solid, “monolithic”, dense (which provides medium or high rigidity of the mattress) and have a thickness of at least 10-12 cm (without springs). The thickness of the spring version should be 15-17 cm.
There are models that use a combined filler - polyurethane foam with coconut coir (a cloth of coconut interfetal fibers). Such fillers are recognized as the best in terms of orthopedic properties and safety for children.
It is worth remembering that the bed should not be excessively rigid so that the child can sleep comfortably.
It is also not recommended to purchase models with sintepon filler or polyurethane in the form of separate pieces due to their zero orthopedic qualities.
Separately, it should be said about the upholstery material. It should be pleasant to the touch, durable, non-marking, not fade during cleaning (if it is a removable cover), not contain toxic substances. Covers are sewn from combined hygroscopic fabrics, which makes them “breathable” and hygienic. If removable covers are not provided, you can consider the option of upholstery made of water-repellent fabric.
When buying this furniture in a nursery, it is necessary to require a product certificate from the seller to make sure that the purchased goods are safe and of high quality.
How to choose?
Choosing a baby bed is often difficult for parents. After all, it is quite difficult to find the most successful model among the proposed online stores. The range of models and prices is currently very wide.
It has already been said about the criteria for selecting a folding chair with good orthopedic properties, durable and safe. However, these characteristics should not be limited. Furniture should also be aesthetic, because it’s worth teaching children to see the beauty around them from the age of three.
Manufacturers of children's chair beds produce these products in a variety of design solutions, and “getting lost” in the assortment has become easier than ever.
Therefore, you can use some tips. As you know, boys from an early age are interested in all kinds of techniques. The best choice in this case may be a model that simulates a car, ship, engine, plane, fire engine. Folding chairs with a "space" theme, famous comic book characters are popular.
Armchairs for girls are usually made in a fabulous style, in the form of a palace or a castle (one of the armrests plays the role of a "wall" with a window). You can also offer a chair with images of the heroines of your favorite cartoons.
Prints and upholstery colors can also tell who this chair is best for. Surely the girl will choose butterflies, flowers or cats on a delicate background, and the boy will choose dogs or other animals, or again the technique, and the background will be darker.
However, there are also “universal” models - with a neutral upholstery color, geometric or floral ornaments. “Girlish” and “boyish” models have no design features and differences.
It is worth emphasizing that the most suitable solution for a one-room apartment would be an option that optimally fits into the interior in design and color. Therefore, you can choose a chair with plain upholstery of interesting texture.
In any case, the choice of the most suitable model should remain with the child, and this will not necessarily be the recommended color or gender option. The main thing is that the chair be durable, comfortable and like the baby himself.
As already mentioned, the range of children's furniture is surprising in its diversity.
It is worth giving examples of the most popular and well-established models.
- Chair "Thumbelina 85" - a model on a wooden frame with fabric upholstery and pull-out mechanism. It is equipped with a box for linen and two sofa pillows. Stuffing - polyurethane foam, periotek. Dimensions of the chair - 120 x 87 x 94 cm, berth - 85x190 cm.
- Armchair "Nika" - has dimensions 123x100x73 cm. Dimensions of a berth - 70x190 cm. Frame made of solid wood, pull-out mechanism, leather or fabric upholstery.
- Armchair "Lycksele" - on a steel tubular frame. Supplemented with armrests, has a roll-out mechanism. Removable covers are included. In the form of a chair, it has dimensions of 80x100x87 cm, bed dimensions - 80x188 cm.
In addition to the above examples, there are other models from various manufacturers. As already mentioned, the main selection criterion is the quality characteristics and preferences of the child himself.
According to customer reviews, folding chairs, beds with orthopedic mattresses are very popular with young children - they are bright, elegant, comfortable. It is at the age of three that a craving for independence wakes up in the baby, and you can make out such a bed on your own. Therefore, a chair with a folding or sliding mechanism will be the best "transition" from a baby crib to an adult bed. And also a chair with interesting prints on the upholstery and a furniture drawer will be not only beautiful, but also a functional piece of furniture for children.
A properly selected folding chair during the day will be an excellent area for games and daytime relaxation for the child, and at night - a comfortable berth. Therefore, adults should take care of the comfort and health of their baby and not save on children's furniture.
An overview of the Fusion-A child seat-bed in the video below.