Bar counters are gaining more and more popularity. They are both a stylish element of the interior, and the most convenient option for zoning the space in the room, and in some cases a replacement for the dining table. Comfort while sitting at the bar directly depends on its mandatory attribute - a bar stool. And the ability to adjust it in height is an undoubted advantage of this furniture.
Having preferred the bar stool with height adjustment, you will no doubt please all members of your family. Especially if they have a significant difference in growth. But even if this is not so and everything in the family is about the same height, there is always a difference in preferences. Someone likes to sit lower - directly above the table, someone, on the contrary. Such furniture will provide you with this opportunity.
These items can also be replaced with ordinary standard chairs. This is especially true for small apartments. This way you save space and finances.
Furniture height adjustment is carried out by means of a special mechanism, which provides the raising or lowering of the seat to the desired height. The specifics of each mechanism have enormous differences. You need to know them in order to choose the right option that will most fully meet your requirements.
Height adjustment mechanisms are divided into several types:
- The most popular lifting mechanism that bar chairs are equipped with or without backrest is pneumatic or it is also called gas lift . In order to raise or lower the seat, press the button or pull the lever. In the built-in cylinder, gas compresses the spring under the action of the piston and drives the seat. This design can be very durable and serve you for many years. It depends on the integrity of the manufacturer and the materials used.
The maximum load that the mechanism is able to withstand is in most cases 100 kg. And its operation at a temperature lower than -6 degrees can lead to damage.
- The screw mechanism is simple in design and is completely mechanical. Such factors make it reliable in operation, although not as convenient as the first option. In order to raise or lower the seat, it is necessary to rotate it until the desired height is reached. Depending on the model, the screw may be visible or hidden.
- Very rarely there are options when you can fix the required height by inserting a special plug in the holes of the outer and inner legs .
The distance between the seat and the countertop of the bar should be 30 cm. This will be the optimal height of the bar stool. Thus, a bar stool 90 cm high is suitable for a table 120 cm high. It is worth noting that these values are approximate, since each person is individual. And a very tall person may not be very comfortable at this height.
How to choose?
Of course, the lifting mechanism is an important criterion for choosing a bar stool, but not the only one. When choosing furniture, you should also pay attention to the design features of furniture:
- Chairs-stools are perfect for small rooms, as they look compact and do not take up much space. However, sitting on them for a long time is tiring.
- Seats with a low, small backrest are not much different from stools, since you can’t lean on them anyway.
- Furniture with a high back is a completely different matter. It will relax your back and provide you with relaxation during your meal. This option is especially good when you use a bar counter instead of a dining table. It is worth noting that this option looks more cumbersome than the first. But for the sake of a comfortable pastime at the table, it may make sense to make room.
- The next model is a kind of bar chair , a very convenient option. As a rule, it is made with soft upholstery, mainly leather or leatherette. Such a model necessarily implies the presence of a comfortable back and armrests. Suitable for spacious rooms and kitchens. Otherwise, the seats will take up a lot of space.
Since bar stools are high enough furniture so that your legs are not on weight, choose furniture with a footrest. On some models, the footrest height can also be adjusted, as can the seat height. This option will allow you to observe the correct angle of the legs, which, ideally, between the calves and hips should be 90 degrees.
When choosing this furniture, be sure to pay attention to its safety. If the house has small children, this criterion is the most important.
The chair must be stable, because due to its considerable weight, if accidentally dropped, it can cause injuries, damage nearby furniture or flooring.
When choosing furniture intended for public institutions, chairs and a lifting mechanism should be of high quality and withstand much greater loads than home options. Roller models will save your flooring from scratches and scuffs, as the chairs are quite heavy and it’s hard to lift them. This option will be much easier to move from place to place.
The choice of material depends on the operating conditions:
- According to its characteristics, plastic is very lightweight, therefore less stable than the rest. However, it is resistant to moisture and temperature fluctuations.
- Wooden chairs are pleasant to the touch, adding comfort to the room. In addition, this material is environmentally friendly. The temperature of the wooden seat remains almost unchanged when the ambient temperature changes. Therefore, sitting on it is quite comfortable. However, wooden seats should still be equipped with soft pillows.
- Metal is the most popular material from which such chairs are made. Most likely, because it is the most reliable and durable. But the seat, made of metal, with a decrease in temperature in the room becomes cold and unpleasant. Therefore, it is better to use a combination of materials. Metal is often combined with eco-leather or glass. Glass seats look very unusual, however, such a chair is more fragile. Sitting on a soft seat is much nicer. But if you use a chair for quick snacks, then this option is also possible.
Choosing furniture is also necessary taking into account the stylistic direction of the room and the color scheme:
- High-tech style is characterized by metallic luster, chrome details. The chair, made of metal and glass, fits perfectly into a similar interior.
- The minimalism style is characterized by the absence of unnecessary details and discreet colors. The interior, made in a similar style, will welcome furniture made from a combination of metal and plastic or metal and leather.
- Art Nouveau style is a smooth line. Windows and openings in this style are often decorated in the form of arches. Heavy wooden carved chairs or forged metal chairs are perfect for such an interior.
Examples in the interior
A perfect model for a high-tech interior. Chairs of this kind look compact, concise, simple, but, despite this, very original. The seat of these options is usually made of tempered glass. This model is equipped with a gas lift lifting mechanism. This option is perfect for small apartments.
Chairs, made in the style of minimalism, are characterized by rigor and simplicity of design.
Also, as in the first embodiment, raising and lowering the seat provides a pneumatic mechanism. This option is perfect if you are going to use chairs for quick snacks.
An example of a bar chair with a pneumatic lifting mechanism. This model will allow you to rest and relax while eating. The base, made of metal, ensures the strength of the furniture, and the soft seat - comfort. Perfect for spacious kitchens and rooms.
An example of a chair with a screw mechanism. The base of the chair is made entirely of metal, including a lifting mechanism, so that the product is a solid and reliable design. A high back provides relaxation to the back, and a soft seat provides comfort to the seated person.
An example of the original performance of a bar stool. It fits perfectly into the interior, made in the Art Nouveau style.
See how to choose a bar stool in the next video.