When lining walls, and especially ceilings, with drywall, the difficulty is lifting and holding fragments of material at a height, since its sheets have a weight of 7 to 9.5 kg. For this, we need a special mechanism - a gypsum board lift. To purchase a ready-made device, you need to know how to choose it, since DIY production is only possible with certain skills.
Drywall Lift: Key Features
The main task of the device is to facilitate the work of the master when covering the ceiling with large sheets of gypsum plaster. With it, he can cope with the workflow alone, without an assistant, even if it is required to build a multi-level plasterboard ceiling. Considering that the lift lifts the sheets to a height of 4, 5 meters, this is quite enough for medium and high rooms.
The design consists of a stand placed on the supports , a special rod extends from it to the desired height. At the top is a fixed winch unit (automatic or mechanical). In order to put drywall sheets in the rib, on the sliding part there is a rotary frame with clamps. The principle of operation in most cases is based on cable transmission.
However, this is not the only purpose - a self-made mechanism can help with other important tasks:
- having installed a laser level on it, there is the possibility of accurate, high-quality marking of the ceiling, angles;
- the lift is used to raise air conditioners, ventilation ducts, heavy chandeliers;
- the device helps with the installation of the frame of metal profiles under gypsum plasterboard in hard to reach places - it reliably fixes the parts while they are being fixed.
In addition, using the elevator, it is possible to lift the roll cover up and fix the punch on it, which is extremely convenient in working conditions at heights.
Thanks to this simple device, it is possible to safely fix the material without any difficulty, and installation time is also significantly saved.
Types of fixtures
The specific use depends on the type of structure.
Three main types are distinguished:
- The elevator with a vertically mounted rack, designed for the assembly of wall coverings and partition walls.
- Ceiling mechanism with a vertical table for fixing plasterboard on the ceiling.
- Universal design "Premos". It allows you to single-handedly assemble drywall for walls and ceilings. If necessary, you can change the angle using the turntable.
The factory mechanism has the following advantages:
- one person will cope with simple management;
- the structure is not exposed to dust and pollution;
- raises gypsum board plates at different angles, vertically and horizontally;
- the mechanism is prefabricated, has a small weight, in a compact form it is easy to transport.
If the cladding of a small room is necessary, the device is folded, due to which the supporting area is reduced. At the same time, the supports are adjustable, so the application is relevant on an uneven floor base.
In some cases, a spreader lift is used. It is a structure consisting of two telescopic pipes, a rod for lifting, as well as clamps and stops made of rubberized polymer. The equipment is equipped with a lever for disengaging the stem lock. The spacer allows you to hold plasterboard plates vertically. From the advantages of the structure, one can distinguish low weight, a movable base, the ability to work with walls and ceilings.
The area of use of the usual design is living rooms , production halls, balconies and corridors. It is recommended to use such a model with a ceiling height of more than 3 meters.
How to choose?
Choosing the right equipment, it always makes sense to get acquainted with the capabilities of the equipment.
In the first place are the following criteria:
- the weight with which the mechanism works, it can be from 30 to 50 kg;
- Considering the size of the ceilings, one should inquire at what height the delivery of drywall sheets is.
You need to know that such devices only work on the rise and can not move loads.
The strength and solidity of the structure itself are important:
- details of the internal mechanism and components should be made of strong and durable materials, so it is always better to choose steel models without polymer additions;
- reliable configuration of the base is a guarantee of the stability of the lift, in this regard the rack in the form of the letter "H" is considered the most worthy.
Inexpensive models that raise drywall above 4 meters, may well be suitable for ordinary housing. If fixing the coating is required on hard-to-reach areas, a different direction of the fasteners is provided, and the strut lifter will be the best option. It has a more complex design and due to this it can be configured for diverse tasks. True, such functional models are much more expensive than standard ones.
In addition, it is necessary to take into account auxiliary options, which are not always needed when mounting a GCR. But if they are available, the price of the device increases significantly.
Since there are manual and electric models, it makes sense to choose electrical equipment for large volumes of work. It helps increase assembly speed, but it costs more. According to professionals, for irregular construction works it is better to choose manual structures, especially since they do not fail so often.
Do it yourself
On average, standard lifting equipment costs about 15 thousand rubles, and many prefer to assemble the device with their own hands. However, this will require detailed drawings, on the basis of which it is realistic to mount a lift of any type at home. Also, in addition to metal profiles, you will have to purchase a winch and fasteners.
Professionals advise making a one-time option, which can later be easily adapted to other rooms. On the other hand, you can make yourself a reusable design that will be suitable for different room heights.
A carefully drawn up scheme is the key to the high-quality assembly of the elevator, because it is through it that you will have to mount the support from metal profiles and other works.
- The bases are made of a metal profile measuring 6x6 cm. A pair of segments is supplied with support and turning parts, the third profile is fixed to the rack using a welding machine. For ease of movement, the equipment is equipped with rollers or wheels.
- For greater stability, three or four pipes are welded in the form of sawn legs.
- A telescopic tripod or tripod is made of three trimmed profiles with section sizes of 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 cm. To insert the stoppers, they make perforations that must match. The bar is mounted on a rack.
- The upper part of the tripod is equipped with clamps for quick mounting of the stand. A metal “H” shaped frame is welded to the top of the tripod for further mounting of the drawer.
- The table is placed on the platform, side supports are additionally mounted, increasing the rigidity of the structure. Lastly, a winch, blocks and cables are attached.
To date, the best recognized German equipment is “Knauf” , the French lifts from the company “Edma”. This is high-quality equipment for installation in large and small rooms with different ceiling heights.
However, the Premos technique for the installation of drywall continues to be the most popular device. Her device resembles a simple rack and pinion jack that allows you to lift the car for repairs. Due to its simplicity and reliability, as well as its affordable cost, this brand has long remained in the first positions.
See how to make a drywall hoist in the next video.