Wicker rattan furniture is not without reason associated with warmth and exoticism. This wonderful interior decoration came to us from the East. In the USSR, wicker furniture was a sign of wealth and flaunted in the dachas and in the apartments of wealthy people. At that time, few knew about such material as rattan, because it is really amazing.
This is a creeping plant that grows in the tropics. The trunk has three layers: a hard bark; porous layer; solid middle. Liana has a surprisingly smooth trunk, without knots and processes. It is these characteristics that make the plant an excellent raw material for weaving furniture.
Rattan furniture continues to gain popularity. Strength, durability and moisture resistance are its main characteristics. In addition, it does not require special care: it is enough to vacuum, walk with a damp cloth, and then dry.
Rattan is a natural and environmentally friendly material, even for coloring such furniture use natural dyes. Compared to plastic garden furniture, rattan is a real find.
The service life of rattan products is at least a quarter of a century.
In appearance, fragile and airy chairs withstand a colossal load of 250 kg, while they themselves are very light and even a child can handle their movement. Over time, small cracks can occur on the furniture, creating a rough surface. However, it is easily “cured” by grinding and varnishing.
The wide variety provided by manufacturers facilitates the task of choosing the right option for the right height, design and color.
Dimensions depend on the purpose of the product: if the chair is prepared for rest and picnics in nature, then its height can be any, and if the chairs are attached to the dining table, then the height should correspond to it.
The color scheme can be different, but greenish and brown shades are more common. When making furniture from natural rattan, they turn to olive, cognac, honey and coffee colors.
Rattan furniture in the interior
Rattan chairs have many advantages and look great in the most diverse premises:
- Wicker furniture, oddly enough, fits perfectly into the interior, designed in a modern style. The contrast created in the combination of rattan with glass, modern finishes and artificial materials looks very stylish. The rattan set is usually complemented by pillows made of natural fabrics, which greatly emphasizes the sophistication of weaving. Such furniture will fit perfectly into the style of country or shabby chic. A conservative interior requires traditional furniture, however, individual wicker elements will be quite appropriate.
- A rattan armchair or bench in the “arrangement” of bright pillows will give the living room warmth and coziness. Rattan furniture can be purchased as a whole set, or individually.
- Wicker furniture is a great option for the kitchen, it is lightweight and easy to clean.
- Furniture from tropical creepers fit even into the bathroom. For example, in the form of a sturdy and resistant to moisture chair, which can be supplemented with a table, laundry basket or other accessory. Due to their moisture resistance, rattan chairs are often placed along the pools.
- And the decoration of the courtyard of the country house with wicker furniture has already turned into a classic. Such furniture will please with grace and tenderness more than one year.
Types of Wicker Furniture
Typically, rattan furniture is created in the form of sets designed in the same style of weaving and coloring. However, some items may be purchased separately.
In furniture stores you can find: tables for various purposes and configurations, chairs, armchairs, whatnots, baskets, vases, shelves, cabinets, chests, hangers.
Wicker furniture is of two structurally different types: furniture without a frame, that is, made completely by weaving, without the use of auxiliary structures and with a frame made of wood or metal, which is then braided with rattan.
Artificial rattan is an analogue of natural raw materials, synthetic material is not inferior in its characteristics, and even surpasses it in some. This is a cheap, strong, aesthetically pleasing material that can withstand even aggressive external conditions: rain and the open sun are not afraid of artificial rattan.
Demand for such furniture is growing, and the range is expanding accordingly. Natural rattan is created from raw materials, which grows mostly in Indonesia, and its cheap "twin" is produced everywhere.
The aesthetic properties of the material are very high, the polymer mass allows you to accurately simulate the natural structure of a tropical vine. The length of artificial vines is not limited, compared with natural raw materials.
Consequently, models of high complexity and unusual configuration are produced, embodying the most daring ideas.
The most popular model is an ordinary armchair with legs or on a single footboard. Such chairs have high functionality and can be used as a place to relax in the dining or working area.
There is no person indifferent to a rocking chair. This product gives the seated comfort and relaxation.
A wonderful option - a chair on a suspension mechanism. This model looks good not only in the garden under the branches of a sprawling tree, but also in a city apartment. The chair is securely fixed on a metal tripod and can withstand weight up to a quarter ton. The tripod has a mobile base, therefore, can be mounted anywhere you wish.
The hanging chair can be round, oval or square.
How to choose?
After your choice falls on any rattan chair model, you should make sure that you are getting a quality product, not a fake. Before paying for your purchase, carefully examine the selected product and make sure that you give money for a well-made thing.
To make the right decision, check out the following tips:
- Furniture should have as few joints as possible. Ideally, no more than one seam.
- A high-quality product is characterized by uniformity of weaving. Breaking and breaking integrity will shorten the life of the product.
- The model should be uniformly stained, without gaps and sagging.
- There is no trace of glue in a good job.
You will learn more about how to choose rattan chairs from the next video.