At the mention of cacti, the idea of powerful plants protected by sharp thorns having a massive trunk unwittingly pops up. In fact, everything looks different: in nature there are cacti without thorns that successfully settle in the rooms.
Varieties of Succulents
Many species of cacti are not at all similar to succulents, but nevertheless belong to this genus. The following are varieties of succulents without needles.
The cactus has a strange shape, which suggests that the plant does not belong to succulents. The plant has neither petals nor leaves, only thin long stems. Hatiora resembles a coral bush in appearance.
The Brazilian plant blooms mainly in the winter and spring months. At the time of flowering, the process of formation on the upper stems of the succulent of small chicken-colored flowers begins. Hatiora's stalks require a careful approach due to their sensitive integumentary tissue.
The homeland of Ripsalis is rightfully recognized as the continent of South America. The plant has spread in India. This plant, like the previous succulent, has an unusual shape for a cactus. Its numerous long and thin, like threads, stems have a ribbed shape. Most often, gardeners and flower lovers put a cactus in a suspended basket, which fits in very harmoniously with the interior of any room.
A variety of shades of flowers in abundance is manifested in the winter season.
The plant “takes” with its unpretentiousness: it is required to water it infrequently, to feed it - only in the spring. Due to the fact that ripsalis has aerial roots, it is periodically necessary to spray it from the spray bottle with warm water. This is the only feature of Ripsalis care.
In order not to stress the plant, experts do not recommend moving the flower.
The people have another version of the name - "forest cactus." Distributed mainly in the tropical zones of America. The peculiarity of the plant is the absence of thorns and leaves. This succulent fell in love with gardeners for its dark green stems and large flowers, reaching a radius of up to 6 cm.
The color scheme is very diverse: from purple to yellow, and there are also various variations using white and other shades.
Due to its tender stems, Epiphyllum does not like the sun's rays, which can burn and dry stems and flowers.
To ensure irrigation of the soil, it is necessary to check the soil for drying. Only after complete drying should moisten the plant.
It is considered the oldest species of plant. It spreads and originates from northern Mexico. Its height and fleshy leaves give it a resemblance to a small bush or tree.
Leaves can be either green or purple. There is a possibility that the leaves will be two-tone.
The leaves are very soft to the touch, safe for touch, as they do not have thorns. But, unlike the above types of cacti, thorns are present on the stems of the succulent.
Succulent flowers take bright shades that delight the eyes of many gardeners.
Cactus is also popularly called Peyotle. It received its distribution in the mountains of North America. The gardeners deserve special love from gardeners because of the stem in the form of a ball.
Visually, Peyotl consists of several parts that are connected together.
The flowering period falls in the summer months. The “fruits” themselves are small, up to a maximum of 2 cm. The color scheme contains shades such as red, white, pale pink and others.
The plant is sensitive to direct sunlight, so it is better to provide it with bright, but diffused light.
Cacti have many varieties, which, in turn, are rich in characteristic features: the difference in shape and appearance.
Watering, temperature and humidity conditions
All home plants require care from a person. These requirements are explained by their origin, height, predisposition to light and many other factors - a flat and short cactus requires one, long - the other. Conditions must be created for the succulent to develop and bloom.
- For Hachior , experts call the ideal temperature one that does not go over the +22 degree mark. Watering the plant is carried out no more than twice in 10 days. For the winter period, the number of waterings should be reduced by half. The main rule for succulent irrigation is the complete drying of the soil. Keeping the plant in a draft is not recommended.
- Home cacti Ripsalisy do not require constant hydration, as they calmly "extract" water from the air. The temperature requirements of a cactus are low: in winter, it is necessary to provide the cactus with a room warmth of up to +24 degrees. A small feature that relates directly to watering the plant is abundant irrigation in the summer months, when the air is especially dry.
- Epifillum takes temperatures seriously. In summer, it is recommended to provide +25 degrees in the room, in winter - a maximum of +15 degrees. The plant prefers the diffused light that is required for the flowering of succulents.
- Perxia is a cactus for which moderate humidity is a priority. Also, the plant loves bright light. If we talk about temperatures, then the ideal solution for it is +24 degrees. Succulent hydration must be approached carefully: in summer - frequent irrigation, and in winter the number of irrigations is significantly reduced.
- The temperature for Peyotl does not play a big role: the maximum limit in summer is +40 degrees, and in winter it is recommended to be kept at a temperature of no higher than +10 degrees. Watered a couple of days after the final drying of the soil, fertilized once a month.
Cacti are very beautiful, unpretentious plants. Everyone can contain succulents, because this does not require special skills or efforts.
For how to care for ripsalis and epiphyllum, see the following videos.