Land cultivation is considered a complex process that requires a lot of physical effort and time. To facilitate their work, many summer residents and farmers use a special technical device called a walk-behind tractor.
The agricultural tools market is represented by various powertrain models, but Grasshopper walk-behind tractors are especially popular with site owners because they are considered the most powerful and trouble-free operation.
Motoblocks manufactured under the Grasshopper trademark are reliable equipment that has German roots. The company's engineers are constantly developing new modifications and complement them with modern equipment.
To reduce production costs and make products affordable, the German plant Grasshopper opened workshops in Belarus and China, leaving the right to control the quality of the manufactured equipment.
The main feature of these walk-behind blocks is considered an advanced transmission.
It is similar to a car equipped with a disk clutch, and a sturdy housing made of cast iron protects parts well from dirt and mechanical damage.
The manufacturer completes all aggregates with wide, massive tires that provide perfect grip on any type of surface. In addition, motoblocks are equipped with planetary gears. The device is stable in motion, fits well into turns and can hold a track even on one wheel.
In low gear, this equipment can be used as a powerful tug for transporting goods weighing up to 1200 kg.
The following characteristics also belong to advantages of Grasshopper motor-blocks:
- high performance;
- low fuel consumption;
- good cross and maneuverability;
- long life of equipment;
- the gears are engaged and shifted using steel rods; there are no cables in the structure, which makes the equipment more reliable;
- four-speed dual-band gearbox providing high efficiency;
- great motor resource.
As for the shortcomings, they are not, with the exception of the high price. But high-quality equipment over time justifies financial investments, since it does not require repair costs and consumes little fuel.
Grasshopper motoblocks are available in various versions, they differ among themselves not only in design, but also in technical indicators. Therefore, before purchasing this or that unit, it is important to take into account the features of the modification and its compliance with the volume of planned work. The most popular models of motoblocks that have received positive reviews include the following units.
This device is available in conjunction with a Weima gasoline engine, its capacity is 13 liters. s, volume - 390 cm³. The engine is started by a reverse starter.
For the operation of the motor, the manufacturer recommends the use of AI-92 gasoline.
The walk-behind tractor weighs 217 kg, while tillage it provides plowing up to 30 cm deep.
In this model, an upgraded gearbox is installed, operating in two modes (high and low), and there are also two reverse and four forward speeds. In addition, the design provides for the PTO, thanks to which various attachments and trailers can be connected to the unit.
The clutch in the motoblock is represented by several discs immersed in a container with oil. The manufacturer replaced the metal rods with strong cables, which extends the life of the equipment. The steering column is easy to operate. The speed of movement is from 2 to 16 km / h forward and from 2 to 4 km / h back.
In this model, a Weima 188FB1 diesel engine is installed, its power is 9 liters. with. The engine capacity is 420 cm³, the fuel tank is designed for 6.5 liters of gasoline. The unit weighs 225 kg, it has a gearbox that operates in two ranges - high and low.
The number of gears in the unit is 6 (2 rear and 4 front). The engine is started manually, it is additionally equipped with an air cooling system.
In addition, the package includes durable traction, multi-plate clutch and differential. The power take-off shaft allows you to connect additional trailed or mounted equipment to the unit. The motor-block reducer is collapsible, gear, placed in a durable case made of cast iron. The steering wheel of this model is modernized, the handle can be adjusted in two planes.
The walk-behind tractor has very high-quality treads that protect it from slipping during operation.
This model is diesel, it is provided with a powerful engine of 9 liters. s, which is started both by an electric starter and manually. In addition to the motor, a cooling system is installed that protects the engine from overheating. The gearbox provides reverse and two forward speeds.
The weight of the walk-behind tractor is 166 kg, during cultivation it can deepen by 30 cm, covering a 1.35 m wide section. The walk-behind tractor's functionality is enhanced by the possibility of mounting attachments. The device is available in a set with large pneumatic wheels, in addition to them a transportation wheel is attached.
The size of the walk-behind tractor is 1030 × 570 × 880 mm, the model is four-wheel drive. The fuel tank has a volume of 5.5 l, oil –1.65 l.
This walk-behind tractor is ideal for processing any size sites.
The unit is characterized by trouble-free operation, in case of a malfunction, spare parts for it can be easily purchased, since they are always available in a wide range and are available for sale.
Attachments can also be connected to all walk-behind tractors sold under the Grasshopper trademark. Units are delivered in a complete set with saber-shaped mills. They cultivate the soil well and cut the grass without wrapping it on themselves. These devices are suitable for the cultivation of any type of soil.
If desired, the owners of the unit can increase its functionality by purchasing the following additional equipment.
- Plow It is necessary in the case when it is planned to process stony areas and virgin lands, where it is difficult for ordinary milling cutters to cope with work. The plow, unlike milling cutters, does not become dull and sinks deeper into the ground under the weight of heavy equipment.
- Mower This tool is usually bought for haymaking for the winter. Mowers are available in two types: segment and rotary. The first option is suitable for mowing shrubs, and the second - for soft grass.
- Potato planter and potato digger . Such equipment helps to carry out fast planting / harvesting of crops.
- Blade shovel and snow blower . Thanks to such devices, you can clear the area of snow. Products are characterized by efficiency and budget, utilities are most often used by them.
- Trailers If, in addition to cultivating the soil, it is planned to transport goods, then trailers cannot be dispensed with. Their manufacturer produces several types: long, with high sides, tipper.
- Caterpillars, wheels and lugs . Since Grasshopper walk-behind tractors are heavy equipment and some modifications can weigh up to 200 kg, they are equipped with 6 × 12 pneumatic wheels. Such tires provide the unit throughput on any soil.
If a light walk-behind tractor is purchased, then it should be equipped with lugs. They are usually used in the winter season, improving the adhesion of equipment to the surface.
In addition, caterpillars are often used to pass through marshy areas, increasing the area of contact with the treated surface.
- Weighting . They are available in the form of two “pancakes”, are mounted on the wheel axle and increase the weight of the walk-behind tractor.
- Pump With the help of such a device, it is possible to pump water and irrigate garden crops.
- Adapter It is a towing device in the form of a frame with a seat. Such equipment allows you to control the walk-behind tractor in a sitting position.
After the walk-behind tractor is selected and purchased, it is important to provide it with proper storage conditions and proper operation. This will protect the equipment from possible breakdowns and extend its life. The first step is to start and run in. According to the instructions from the manufacturer, before starting the walk-behind tractor, you need to fill in fuel (gasoline or diesel) and oil .
The first 8 hours of operation, it is necessary to set the minimum load, during which time all the parts and structural units will be lubricated and begin to function as a single mechanism. After that, the engine oil is drained and replaced with a new one.
If the walk-behind tractor is not planned to be used for a long time, then it should be put in a dry place on a stand, after draining the fuel and lubricants and having cleaned of dirt and dust.
In addition, you need to grease all the levers with a special grease that protects them from corrosion.
As for maintenance, it provides for the following types of work.
- Daily check of serviceability of equipment . Before operating the unit, make sure that the braking and control system is working. Additionally, you need to check the level of fuel and oil in the tanks. Due to lack of lubricant or leakage, deformation of parts is possible.
- Timely oil change . It is recommended that it be carried out every 25 hours of engine operation. For Grasshopper motoblocks, it is best to use TAP-15V and TAD-17I oil.
Despite the fact that Grasshopper units are of high quality and are suitable for work in any climatic conditions, they can sometimes fail. This is usually due to engine overload.
Simple breakdowns can be completely eliminated by yourself.
- If the motor of the device is not driven . First of all, you need to check the ignition system and the level of fuel and lubricants in the tank. Additionally, it is worth adjusting the carburetor. In addition, it is necessary to clean the air and fuel filters.
- Milling cutters do not rotate . The cause of this problem may be a PTO failure or an extended drive belt. Often this happens due to improper attachment attachment.
Video review of Grasshopper walk-behind tractor, see below.