Nowadays drywall is widespread. It is often used for decorating indoors. Due to its versatility, structures made of this material allow not only to align the walls and ceiling, but also make it possible to create any shape of arches and partitions. The frame is the basis of the design. Therefore, it is important to know what types of frame from the profile for drywall are and what are their main pros and cons.
It is worth familiarizing yourself with the profile features in more detail. One of the main profiles is abutment or guide. It has its own designation - PN. Its shape resembles the letter P. Main sizes: 40 * 50 * 55, 40 * 65 * 55, 40 * 75 * 55, 40 * 100 * 55. Such profiles are installed around the perimeter of the entire structure.
The guide profile fixes rack-mount. It is the main one, and the appearance of the rest of the structure will depend on its installation. The main purpose of the abutment profile is to create a skeleton of a new surface for sheathing. This profile is attached over the entire area of the main frame. The first indicator of the strength of profiles is the volume of metal used in the manufacture: the higher the thickness of the steel, the stronger the profile.
The supporting profile is used for the final construction of the frame device, it carries the main weight, so drywall is attached to it. He is also responsible for the strength of the frame. It is made of metal of various thicknesses. If the metal is too thin, more fasteners are needed. Profile size, as a rule, 60 * 25 * 3000 or 60 * 25 * 4000 mm.
Installation at the corners of stairs for steps is carried out using a profile with a slide, which consists of aluminum. This profile serves as an anti-slip element and provides additional security.
Rack or galvanized profile is used to create frames, arches and other surfaces having a bend. The ceiling guide profile is also important in the installation. Its dimensions are 27 * 60.
You can use other profiles, for example, angular, to create even angles. It is designated by the abbreviation PU. Such a profile makes the frame stronger, prevents external factors, and facilitates the application of plaster in the corners. The main sizes are 31 * 31, and 25 * 25 and 35 * 35 are less common.
The profile for creating arches with a bend - arched, is widespread. It is often loosened and has a large number of cuts and holes. The main dimensions are 60 * 27. It is designated as PA. Due to its flexibility, it creates absolutely any complex structure. Do not exceed the bending radius by more than 50 cm, as there is a risk of structural failure.
It is usually divided into two types:
The connector fastens the profiles perpendicular to each other, and the extension cord combines the various segments.
Profiles for creating partitions, unlike other profiles, are large.
Advantages and disadvantages
The profile has pros and cons, which have an impact on the future design of the premises.
Let's start with the benefits of using a profile.
- There are no flaws in the appearance. They have a uniform shape, unlike a bar, which must be well prepared (leveled) before use.
- The profile is not prone to deformation due to moisture or temperature changes. It always retains its shape, and as for wood, on the contrary, it changes shape, for example, from moisture.
- Long metal life. The beam does not have a similar advantage, since it is unstable to external influences.
- It is a durable material.
- Easy to purchase.
- No prior wall alignment is required.
- It is possible to use galvanized steel.
- It is easy to replace or restore a damaged profile.
- It is not flammable, resistant to fire, when using special drywall, fire safety is increased.
- the first and most important minus is the high price compared to the same wood;
- easy to pull out fasteners due to the small number of threads;
- material may corrode.
GCR - a material used in construction, which is very famous, it is often used in different fields, it helps to build not only large elements, but also small extensions, with its help the wall surface in the house is easily and quickly leveled, partitions can also be erected, having certain shapes.
- Available. Drywall can be bought in all construction stores at an affordable price.
- Easy. There are differences in thickness and light weight. For ceiling buildings, there are lighter options - this helps a lot in the work.
- Simple installation. The layers are fixed with screws to the frame or to glue. In this regard, you can install them yourself.
- Durable. It withstands loads of various types, due to which it has a long service life.
- Wide scope. It is used not only in designs, but also in decor.
- Just handle it. It is easy to work with him, he has the ability to create any form.
- It makes it possible to mount the LED strip in any way, as well as built-in lamps.
Consider the main types of frames on the example of ceilings.
This ceiling can be part of the interior or be the basis for other ceilings: complex, with many levels. The creation of this design is not difficult, the main thing is to fix the profile to the base well. The final stage is the installation of sheets on the profile.
It is important to use additional measuring tools, keep the horizon and take care of the installation of various communications and wiring in advance. Under the light it is necessary to leave a space with a margin of 10-15 cm, so it will be easier to connect it.
The main advantages of a single-level view:
- maintaining the appearance of the lined surface, despite changes in the foundation and its subsidence;
- minor changes in the height of the room used;
- hides the defects of the ceiling, makes it possible to hide the wiring;
- noise protection of neighbors living upstairs.
These types, as a rule, are fixed due to concrete slabs or a ceiling consisting of one level. Then each is attached to the previous level. It is important that they blend well together.
The main advantages of two or more levels:
- visualization of space, the ability to create the illusion of increasing or decreasing the room;
- creation of an original author's ceiling;
- functional zoning of space;
- Looks good in rooms with a height of more than three meters.
Non-standard and more complex designs are similar to single-level and multi-level varieties, have a more complex structure, and retain the ability to create unusual shapes.
The main advantages of non-standard and more complex designs:
- the uniqueness of the design style;
- the ability to replace individual structural elements.
Installation of the crate must be done after the acquisition of special tools and materials.
The main ones are the following tools:
- a hammer;
- hammer drill;
- plumb with load;
- self-tapping screws;
- building level;
- connectors are both cruciform and straight;
- metal profile.
When performing a metal frame, guides as well as steel elements are required. Sheets cannot be fixed without using a special fastener, which will serve as the basis. Basically, they are screwed to the crate or fixed with glue. For gluing, as a rule, you will not need anything but glue. Another thing is the creation of a full crate. For this, various profiles and connecting elements are used, without which no installation of a complex structure is possible.
The main types of mounts:
- wooden beam;
- metallic profile.
The use of a wooden beam in the construction has a number of features. This material is popular, but before installing it, the beam must be processed. A metal profile is the most convenient material for constructing structures. Instead of profiles, many other details are used when installing a drywall frame. They are needed to connect the main frame with the main plane.
The holder is a perforated metal sheet. Its main purpose is to fasten the participating walls and ceiling with a profile frame. The center of the bracket is attached to the sheathed plane, and the ends are fixed to the fundamental profile with screws.
Swivel suspension is the opposite solution to the bracket. In a situation where the usual size of the holder is not enough to install the frame, it is replaced with a swivel suspension. It is divided into two parts: a suspension and a profile, which are fastened to each other using a spring. During the installation itself, the location of this part relative to the horizon is easily changed using a spring. A defect is that over time, the spring becomes weaker, as a result, the ceiling sags. When installing the walls it is not used.
CD combiner makes profiles longer. Installation begins with it.
The cross-shaped ceiling bracket (crab) is used when mounting jumpers among the supporting main profiles with a cross connection. The crab is fixed in profile and then attached using self-tapping screws. As for the jumper, it fits in a similar way: it is fixed in two ceiling cruciform brackets. They are on other major profiles. More often, about 7-8 screws are used for this part.
A connector of two levels is rarely used , it is often needed only in one situation: to assemble the skeleton, when the holder has a moving base, for example, a ceiling made of wood. First, the first level of the CD connector is set, which remains active, then a different level of profiles. It is placed as a normal base, then fastened using the two connectors presented. This rather complicated fixture exists in order to remove differences in wood sizes associated with temperature changes and humidity.
Subtleties of installation
Before installing drywall on the profile, you need to assemble the technically correct crate, on which it will be fixed in the future. This material is quite simple, but often it is precisely in the construction of the structure that difficulties arise. The frame is the basis, without it, construction will be impossible, so you need to align the frame exactly.
This design must be depicted on paper in the form of a drawing in order to have an idea of what and where will be built. As for the frame, it is important to understand where it will be located. The frame can be mounted on the walls or ceiling. Since such a frame makes it possible to fix the surface and make it smooth, they often resort to its use.
If the frame will be mounted on the walls and ceiling, you must start from the ceiling.
Marking is done using a tape measure in the lowest place. It is important to note that the wiring is carried out in advance. Next is the installation of profiles on the ceiling: the supporting profile must be set horizontally. To extend the metal profile to the required length, use a conventional connector. To fix the places where the profiles intersect, you need its kind - crab. When leveling the ceiling, a two-level crab is used to fix the low profile to the ceiling profile well. When using an anchor suspension with a lack of length of other suspensions, for example, direct, it can be increased.
It is extremely rare that the room has perfectly even angles. In such situations, after leveling the walls, plasterboard sheets on the ceiling are very difficult to adjust to the necessary parameters. If you start work from the ceiling, there will be no gaps. The convenience of using profiles is that they can be docked with a small overlap.
Suspensions are fixed for mounting fasteners on screws and dowels, the distance of steps is about 60 centimeters.
The next step will be the installation of guides around the entire perimeter of this room with the help of threads fixed to the profile.
We conditionally divide the ceiling into equal squares, approximately 0.5 * 0.5 m. Next, the bearing parts are located. On fixed threads they are connected to the main profiles and fixed with screws. Crab connectors are mounted on the mounts crosswise. When the installation of the frame on the ceiling is completed, you can go to the walls. In general, the technique for installing profiles is similar.
It is necessary to measure the distance, which will correspond to the width of the sheet. Next, a mark is made where the profile will be located. Begin by installing guides around the entire perimeter of the wall. This is done using threads. The only thing worth considering is that the distance will be more than 60 centimeters than on the ceiling. With a grinder, cross jumpers are cut about 60 cm long and they are also fastened with self-tapping screws. The carrier profile is installed in the control profile and fixed to the walls. You can use a step of 0.6 m. There are pre-prepared profiles with holes on sale, they are perfect for beginners. Support profiles must be connected to suspensions. Subsequently, transverse with an interval of about 60 cm are installed.
When all the work is completed, we proceed to the stage of installing drywall sheets with screws. The main thing is to deepen the cap sheet by no more than 4 mm, the distance between the screws is about 10-30 cm. The sheets are fixed along the entire perimeter of the profile from top to bottom. It is important for the mobility of the structure to make a gap of 1 cm between the sheet and the floor, and 0.5 cm between the ceiling. The seams close closer to the floor, the gaps are hidden by the baseboard.
After mounting the ceiling, the walls are covered with putty. At the beginning, a reinforcing mesh is used, the seams at the joints are closed to it, then the entire wall is putty. For various openings, such as window, door, arch, other additional profiles are used.
How to make a doorway?
A doorway is usually built using several types of structures. Sometimes you need to resize the opening itself, for example, reduce the width or height. Additionally, two types of profiles are used: rack-mount and start-up profiles, they differ in basic functions.
The first rule is to decide on the size. If it is necessary to slightly move the doorway, it is recommended to install an additional rack from the side of the wall, a vertical element is fixed at the edges of the opening, which is screwed on with screws.
Wall profiles are necessary to reduce the height , they will serve as the main support. Drywall after installation of profiles is cut into the main sheets, the main thing is that its edges are located in the middle of the profile. Fastens with self-tapping screws.
Create an arch using metal profiles. In order to do this work with your own hands, materials must be given an unusual shape.
With these materials you can create an arched structure of any complexity: ellipse, non-standard or asymmetric, direct portal, round expanded arch. Profiles must be bent based on the design idea. Profiles are cut with special scissors for metal, and in order to bend drywall and give it the desired shape, it is passed through it with a needle roller and slightly moistened with water, then the position is fixed.
If the shape of the doorway needs to be slightly corrected, the wall is covered with a layer of plaster. When you need to align a large area, it is better to use drywall. The main thing is to measure the main dimensions for drywall and fix it inside the opening itself and on the slopes. Various defects are then hidden using plaster, in the corners special profiles are used, for example, an angular profile.
For the final stage of finishing using a masking net and putty.
You can divide all the work into several stages.
- Primer. The entire working area is covered with a primer and dried.
- Removing various defects. The seams and screwing points of the screws are sealed with a sickle, so that the transition from the structure to the wall is imperceptible.
- Alignment of the general layer. It is necessary to grind the putty after it is completely dry, then apply a second layer.
- Creating a box and other elements using a profile. The box well hides various wires and pipes, which can be closed in two ways:
- only pipes;
- all over the wall.
If you want to close only the pipes, then the process does not take much time. This is done quite simply and does not require special financial costs. In the second case, the entire plane is closed, but it can be used by creating shelves for storage at this place.
If the pipes are in the corner, the box will have only two faces, if the riser is in the middle, then three faces. It is important to create a drawing with all kinds of connections. This will help to calculate the necessary material. The gap between the structure and the pipes should be about 30 mm.
The next step is the markup. First you need to find the most convex places of the pipes, which will create the border of the new design. Then we mark them: from the main mark on the ceiling we draw lines perpendicular to the walls. From the main mark we lower the plumb line, this will help to find the main mark on the floor. From this mark, lay transverse lines to the walls. Next, we connect all the lines along the walls and get a straight line, and a rack profile will be installed on it.
Next, you need to install the basics of the box. Using a drill, we make holes, where later, using a hammer, we place plastic rods. We attach this profile with bolts to the wall, and the control profile is fixed to the ceiling or to the walls. We start by installing the front side of the box, which is located at the junction of the abutment profiles on the ceiling and floor. Everything is fastened, as a rule, with the help of screws, in the future plasterboard sheets are installed. It is important to place the joints on the same line, forming one common surface for the edges of the structure, otherwise there will be distortions.
When installing drywall on a building, first we cut the sheets on the sides, mark the correct size of the side that remains, and cut the strip so that it fits in with the others. The sheet to the metal profile is attached with screws to the main posts. Do not forget about such a hole as a hatch.
As this construction will be completed, you can putty it. As for finishing materials, you can use any material.
The convenience of drywall constructions also lies in the fact that with their help you can create various partitions, thereby zoning the space and separating the working area from the recreation area.
The basic rules that must be followed when constructing a structure:
- Before facing the cardboard, it is important to lay out the electrical cable and all plumbing pipes;
- the construction should be quite stable and rigid to withstand absolutely any load;
- GK plates are staggered in height;
- all subsequent sheets are connected in the center of the profile.
Before laying drywall, it is necessary to fasten the entire crate with self-tapping screws. Particular attention should be paid to the corners and their preparation. It is necessary to take into account when calculating that for the strength of structures it is necessary to set the angle and sheathe it with drywall in increments of at least 30 cm.
It is worth paying attention to the durability of the material and use only high quality raw materials. When marking the frame for walls and for the ceiling, one condition must be taken into account: all joints of drywall sheets must be on the profile. Based on the recommendations, it can be said that this frame from the profile is an excellent solution for finishing repair work. Due to its multitasking, the framework can help to realize absolutely any idea.
Tips & Tricks
It is necessary to correctly observe the technology of construction work, the quality of repair depends on this. Builders and people doing this work on their own often make technological mistakes when trying to shorten their time or save on goods in the store.
Let us dwell in detail on the main errors that should be avoided in the manufacture of the structure.
- Incorrect profile length calculation. If you produce it incorrectly, this design will be built with errors.
- Errors in the technique of mounting the frame. If you do not follow the technique in using the profile, use the profiles for other purposes, you can make very gross errors in the work.
- When fixing ceiling materials, it is absolutely necessary to use suspensions: the smooth side should be located downward, and it is it that is the base to which the drywall is screwed.
- Incorrect cutting. You can not use a grinder, this contributes to the burning out of galvanization, which will subsequently lead to corrosion. For this, special scissors for cutting metal are suitable. They are of two types: manual and electric.
- The use of the profile is not for its intended purpose in the design. For example, if you apply a profile for the ceiling to build partitions. In this case, it is correct to use the abutment profile.
- Lack of suspensions when building a ceiling of more than two levels. This will cause cracks around the entire perimeter of the ceiling. If you follow the technology, then the supporting profile will be fixed from the walls used with a length of about 10 cm. Be sure to use suspensions in the suspended ceiling.
- The sheet is fixed with the wrong side. For example, if using HFCL (protects against moisture) is incorrect, this will affect its positive properties, which will not be able to manifest themselves due to improper installation.
- Incorrect GCR connection. It is not recommended to use small pieces of sheets. The main thing is to fix large sheets to prevent the destruction of the material.
- It is necessary to exclude the use of special profiles for corners to protect the corners from moisture and external damage. An external profile is recommended here.
It is worth noting that before the repair it is necessary to once again thoroughly study the surface where the structure will be installed, determine the type of future project from the metal profile and correctly draw the drawing. It is also important to understand the types of profiles and their fastening.
See how to make a wireframe from a profile in the next video.