To make the sound as voluminous and multifaceted as possible, standard speakers are not enough, even if this is a premium technology. For high quality audio transmission you need a subwoofer. To use this equipment effectively, you need to properly connect and configure it. The connection of the subwoofer to the computer will be discussed in the article.
How to connect?
Before proceeding with the description of connecting the subwoofer to the computer unit, it is worth indicating what this equipment is.
A subwoofer is a special separate speaker that plays low frequencies . In its absence, the sound becomes “flat”, losing saturation. And also the term is used - a low-frequency speaker or a low-frequency speaker.
There are two types of subwoofers - active and passive.
Active is a complete acoustic design including an integrated power amplifier . Using this technique, the user can adjust the wave according to various parameters, including amplitude. To improve sound, the equipment cuts vibrations at high frequencies. The active subwoofer is connected to the sound source and acoustics.
The second option lacks a built-in power amplifier. Therefore, to use a passive subwoofer, it is necessary to synchronize it with an amplifier or stereo speakers. With an end-to-end connection, the sound quality drops significantly. Not only the dynamics and saturation are reduced, but also the volume. The technique is devoid of tools with which you can adjust the sound.
Most users deal with low-frequency speakers, which are part of the speaker system in the following configurations: 2.1; 5.1 and 7.1. As a rule, the process of connecting these music systems to a computer or laptop is not difficult. Even if the user does not have experience with acoustics, you only need to determine which ports connect different types of speakers.
Many have difficulty pairing a low-frequency speaker. And also problems can arise when connecting car speakers or setting up new equipment. It is worth considering this process, which varies depending on the type of equipment used.
First of all, we will consider the synchronization features of the active subwoofer. This type of acoustics is a special system, which is a speaker and auxiliary electronics for full sound and amplification (receiver and amplifier). Due to this structure, the equipment can be connected to a PC without an amplifier, since it is already built-in.
This speaker option has two types of ports.
- Entrance. It is necessary to receive a sound signal from a computer or any other source of music.
- Output. This connector is needed to connect other speakers to the subwoofer.
Let's see how the connection is made.
- We will carefully dwell on the first type of ports - RCA format jacks, also known to many users as “tulips”. To synchronize the subwoofer with a computer, you must use a special adapter with RCA to 3.5 mm male-male (miniJack). Some speakers with a woofer are sold bundled with a PC adapter, but in most cases they need to be purchased separately.
- On the one hand, the adapter is connected to the corresponding connector on the subwoofer, and on the other, to the port on the sound card of a computer or laptop , designed to connect a woofer (yellow / orange connector).
- If a new sound card model is installed in the computer, it will have all the necessary connectors for connecting systems with a configuration of 5.1 or 7.1. Otherwise, you can use a subwoofer to connect the remaining speakers.
- In this case, an adapter with a “tulip” for miniJack 3.5 mm, but of a different type, male-female, will also come in handy .
- If your computer does not have a separate connector for connecting, do not worry. The modern electronic equipment of the active low-frequency speaker will independently adjust the sound so that it sounds as high quality as possible.
The main advantages of such speakers is its compact size and comfortable connection due to the lack of a large number of wires.
Of the minuses, insufficient sound power can be noted. Sound equipment kits that perform well are expensive and unavailable to most buyers.
Now consider the synchronization features of passive woofers. This type of equipment is not equipped with any additional “stuffing”, therefore, for their optimal operation, you must definitely use an intermediate device, such as a receiver or amplifier.
The connection process is very simple and straightforward. The work is carried out according to the following scheme: a signal source (we are considering a personal computer or laptop) - an amplifier - a subwoofer. If your optional equipment has many different connectors, you can connect all audio equipment to it.
The system is synchronized using the necessary cables, which are included in the equipment package. For the convenience of users, manufacturers use special notation near the ports, and also apply color marking. If necessary, prepare adapters.
After the computer and the subwoofer are synchronized with the amplifier, and the remaining speakers are connected to it, you can turn on the equipment and check its operation.
The main advantage of the passive subwoofer is its high power. The disadvantage is that an amplifier must be used for operation. And also for synchronization a large number of wires are used.
Connecting a car subwoofer
Modern woofers for cars boast compactness and excellent performance. High power models need a 12 volt power supply. You can use the power supply from the computer. Be sure to make sure that the power output of the PSU matches the power rating of the built-in or external amplifier. With insufficient performance of the computer unit, the sound equipment will not work at full strength.
Devices of this type are not designed for home use, so their shape and design are different, and the connection has some features.
We carefully consider the process of connecting a passive subwoofer with an amplifier.
- The first step is to turn on and start the PSU. To do this, close certain 24 pin (20 + 4) contacts on the cord.
- After that you will need wires that can be disconnected from the connector (for example, molex). You can buy it at an electronics or computer store. Black and yellow cables are required for operation - minus 12 V and plus 12 V, respectively.
- Connection is carried out taking into account polarity. It must be indicated on the amplifier housing.
- For the launch to succeed, the middle cable (polarity plus) must also be connected. Use a jumper for operation.
- Now you should connect the subwoofer to the amplifier . If the amplifier is equipped with two channels, we take “+” from one, and “-” from the other.
- Wires from other speakers connect to the tulips ports.
- The PC is connected to the amplifier using RCA adapters - 3.5 millimeters (miniJack), male-male format.
Note: when using active equipment, synchronization occurs in a similar way.
After the audio equipment is connected to the computer, you must make the appropriate settings on the computer. Checking your speaker system will help ensure that all cables are connected correctly. To check and configure, you need to turn on the computer and wait until the operating system is fully loaded.
The first thing to check is the availability of the software necessary for the job . If you are using new acoustic equipment, a driver disk must be included with it. In its absence, the program can be downloaded from the manufacturer’s website and installed on a computer.
When connecting a new device, Windows OS notifies the user about the equipment with a pop-up window and automatically checks for the presence of the driver, as well as its operability.
The procedure includes a number of steps.
- Run and install the software.
- On the taskbar (by default it is located at the bottom of the desktop) find the icon in the form of a speaker. Click on it once with the right mouse button. As soon as the context menu opens, go to the “Volume Settings” tab.
- Next, choose your speaker system. Before turning on the sound on your PC, set the volume level of your device to the optimum level.
- To fine tune the sound quality, many use the Realtek Manager with a clear and simple menu.
To check the acoustics, do the following:
- right-click on the speaker icon and open the “Playback devices” tab;
- in the "Playback" window, select the equipment you are using and, when you right-click, go to the "Verification" section.
See below for how to connect a subwoofer to a computer.