Each of us, when performing repair work at home, had various ideas for the original decorative design of a particular part of the room. Most of them seemed to us absolutely impossible, due to the occurrence of such a problem as the bending of drywall.
The ability to work correctly with drywall makes it possible to use such design solutions as installing various arches, columns, curly ceilings . In the absence of proper skills, a false impression is created that only a professional can perform this type of work. However, this is far from the case and our article will help you make sure of this.
Drywall is a type of building material formed from gypsum board and cardboard sheets. These sheets cover gypsum on both sides. There are different types of drywall. Each of them is used, depending on the purpose of the room. Gypsum is included in the group of the least elastic materials, but at the same time it has the ability to change, depending on humidity.
The very process of bending drywall does not require special skills. Only the accuracy of the work is necessary to avoid breaking the drywall sheet, which will lead to its unsuitability.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of using the material:
- It has high environmental properties.
- It has excellent vapor permeability.
- Drywall is a completely flat and smooth surface.
- It has high sound and heat insulation properties.
- Does not cause much trouble during installation work.
- Wide size range.
- Low specific gravity.
- Flexibility of sheets. This property allows you to create various unique shapes in the interior.
Cons of application:
- In rooms with a humidity of more than eighty percent, the use of this material is impossible.
- Relative fragility, which during construction works significantly complicates the process, requiring special care and accuracy.
- The complexity of using screws, screws and other bolts on the walls of this type.
Before proceeding directly to the process of folding the cardboard, you need to decide how steep the desired bend will be. Depending on the parameter chosen by us, a method of performing this process will be selected.
The execution methods depend on the bending radius and are divided as follows:
- A bend with a radius of a thousand to two thousand seven hundred and fifty millimeters.
- A bend with a radius of five hundred to a thousand millimeters.
- A bend with a radius of one hundred and fifty to three hundred millimeters.
Let's consider each of the described methods. As we have already found out, the first of three methods is applicable to arcs from one thousand to two thousand seven hundred and fifty millimeters. The easiest way to create such an arc is to use the so-called dry method. We will study it in more detail.
It contains several stages. The first step is the selection of the required thickness of drywall.
In the ratio of thickness and radius, the following options exist:
- With a radius of two thousand seven hundred and fifty millimeters, drywall is used, the thickness of which is twelve and a half millimeters.
- With a radius of two thousand millimeters, the thickness is nine millimeters.
- If the bending radius is one thousand five hundred and fifty millimeters, then the drywall sheet should be eight millimeters thick.
- The smallest thousand-millimeter bend in this category is made of only six and a half millimeter drywall.
The last of the presented options allows you to save a fairly large amount of time when bending drywall, but the financial costs will have to be increased. The first three methods require more free time due to the complexity of the work.
After we have decided on the choice of bending radius, we proceed directly to the bending of drywall.
There are also two options for action:
- The first of them fell in love with the townsfolk for its ease, simplicity and a small amount of time spent. The essence of this method is to fasten the section to the profile, which has already been bent and installed in advance. All manipulations to secure the section must be done slowly and carefully. It is also required to observe a step between fasteners, which is not more than fifty millimeters. To achieve the desired profile curvature result, scissors for cutting metal are used. Using them we make incisions on the profile.
Under no circumstances is a drywall bent across. This can cause damage to the sheet.
- Now consider the second, more complex and time-consuming method. Its complexity lies in the fact that preparation of the layout of the desired bend is required, which requires time. A feature of the design being created is that its radius should be less than that of the future semicircle. The width, in turn, should be less than the width of the sheet that we will bend. This method makes it easier to bend drywall and increase the chances of leaving the material without damage. After the template is ready (or you already had it), with a gentle movement, the sheet is bent in shape and remains in this position until the desired result is obtained.
Now consider the following option, used in the manufacture of arches with a radius not exceeding one meter. In the people, this method is called wet. For this method we will need the following tools and auxiliary tools: needle roller; water; wide brush (a roller or sponge can also be used); roulette; pencil.
When working with drywall, using a needle roller, we will perforate it. Wetting is carried out using ordinary water and a wide brush or a roller, sponge. When using a needle roller, the following recommendations must be observed: the needles should be no longer than half the thickness of the sheet that we bend, but not shorter than one third of it. In violation of these proportions, when using the first option, drywall will be damaged, in the second case, the desired result will be absolutely unattainable.
The compressible part is treated with a needle roller.
In this case, the needles will perform several functions at once:
- to weaken the rigidity of the cardboard;
- provide access of fluid (in this case, water) to the core of gypsum.
In the absence of a roller, it is possible to replace it with an ordinary awl. Of course, this does not save you time and is a rather time-consuming process, but at the same time it will be possible to save on the purchase of a special roller. The holes when using the awl are made alternately at a distance of ten to fifteen millimeters.
The next step is to wet the area we pierced with water. To do this, use a sponge, roller or rag (depending on your choice). The procedure is repeated for ten to fifteen minutes. Wetting is necessary in order to reveal the additional capabilities of drywall, namely its flexibility. After drying, drywall absolutely does not lose any of its previous properties.
Next, the sheet must be folded and attached using self-tapping screws to the previously prepared frame. Manipulate carefully to avoid damage to the sheet. Leave it to dry for about a day. After drying, all technical properties will be preserved, and drywall will remain in the position we need.
The latter method is applicable to drywall bending with a radius of one hundred and fifty to five hundred millimeters. This method is the most radical of all three. This is due to the small size of the sheet.
The process is divided into several stages:
- Using a knife on the back of the sheet, make deep transverse cuts. The process is repeated every thirty to fifty millimeters. The step depends on the size of the arch. The smaller it is, the smaller the pitch and the larger, the larger the pitch, respectively. Ultimately, only a minimal layer of cardboard will be fastened into a single whole sheet.
The cuts should be done with special care and accuracy, in order to avoid damage to the front of the drywall. Upon receipt of such damage, the sheet becomes unsuitable for further use.
- At a place previously prepared by us, we fix the structure with self-tapping screws. The fastening should start from the middle of the structure, and end accordingly at the edges. Each slotted part is fixed. The disadvantage of this method is the high consumption of self-tapping screws.
- We produce high-quality putty of the entire structure (cuts, cracks).
The possibility of using the template is not ruled out. This is due to the fact that after fixing our structure on the frame, it will be very difficult to putty all the necessary holes. But if you prepare the surface in advance for laying our sheet, the probability of filling up all the necessary recesses is significantly increased.
Now you know how to bend drywall correctly and turn it into the most complex and original forms. It is not difficult to bend GCR with your own hands at home, if you approach this process with special attention and accuracy.
In the next video, you will learn how to bend drywall for an arch in a doorway.