Arched drywall - a type of finishing material used in the design of the room. With its help create various arches, semi-arches, multi-level ceiling structures, many curved, curved structures, including oval and rounded walls, partitions and niches. To understand what are the features of using arched gypsum plasterboard, how to make an aperture from gypsum plasterboard, is it possible to do it yourself, we will study the characteristics of the material.
Any finishing building material has its own characteristics. Arched drywall has the ability to bend, it is endowed with lightness. However, there is no need to subject it to any processing. It does not need to be milled, wetted with liquid, or treated with a needle roller.
Of all types of drywall, arch material is the most expensive. This is due to the fact that the structures made of it are multilayer, therefore, to achieve the required thickness, a large amount of material is necessary.
Features and Benefits
Arched drywall has the appearance of a sandwich. It consists of two cardboard surfaces and a mineral inner layer impregnated with fiberglass. It is based on gypsum, the amount of which is more than 90%. In addition, the components are cardboard (6%) and auxiliary components (1%).
Among the advantages of GCR are the following:
- increased flexibility;
- high strength;
- small thickness;
- high thermal insulation and sound insulation;
- high degree of fire resistance;
- lack of extraneous odors;
- ability to regulate humidity indoors.
The disadvantages of arched drywall include:
- inconvenience during work;
- cutting difficulty;
- the complexity of screwing fasteners;
- price segment.
Excessive thinness of the sheet increases the amount of use of the material , and this is financially unprofitable. The thickness of the often encountered arched drywall is 6 mm and 6.6 mm, the length and width depend on the manufacturer, the most common sizes are 1.2 x 2.5 m, 1.2 x 3 m.
GKL opening device
To properly make an interior doorway from drywall with your own hands, you need to first prepare the necessary tools and follow strict rules when doing this.
Initially, it is necessary to prepare:
- arched drywall;
- scissors cutting metal;
- serpentine tape;
- sand paper;
- roulette wheel;
- hammer drill;
- construction level;
- mounting foam;
- plumb for installation of guide profiles;
Drywall opening device can be divided into two stages:
- frame manufacturing;
- installation of a doorway.
To carry out the work correctly, you can take note of the step-by-step instructions for mounting the frame:
- We fix the doorway stand to the ceiling and floor (to the profiles).
- We install intermediate racks (the distance from each other is 0.5 m).
- On the horizontal bar above the door we fix an arcuate segment made of drywall.
- The connection is carried out using screws.
- If you need additional rigidity, you can insert a wooden beam into the doorway.
After completion, we proceed to the second stage. This is drywall laying, which is carried out in compliance with the basic rules:
- The distance from the self-tapping screw to the edge of the drywall sheet should be 1 cm.
- The distance between the fasteners should not exceed 15 cm.
- GCRs located nearby should be on the same profile.
- The fastening cap is inserted into the sheet to a depth of not more than 0.8 mm.
- A suitable size for self-tapping screws is 2 cm.
Then do all the work on sealing joints and cosmetic procedures. So the fixed sheets of drywall on the prepared frame look beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, forming an opening.
In order not to spoil the repair, to exclude additional expenses for finishing and building materials, it is necessary to take into account some nuances:
- Drywall does not like moisture; from its excess, it can fall apart.
- Complete drying of the finishing material takes at least 12 hours.
- To prevent rust spots on the surface over time, it is better to use galvanized screws or stainless steel fasteners for fastening.
- To prevent gypsum from spilling out, it is necessary to screw the screws to a clearly specified depth.
It is necessary to choose and apply finishing material strictly for its intended purpose. For example, for a multilevel ceiling and curved structures, arched material is used, which can be given any shape, and for walls a denser wall material is suitable with a number of additional advantages. Sheets must be used within a few days after purchase.
The methods that you can use to bend drywall, see the video below.