A corner sofa with a berth is a piece of furniture that can be used in different ways - depending on needs and requirements, as a sofa to relax during the day, or as a bed to sleep at night.
Many people choose a corner sofa because they just want the bed not to be used frequently. Some use it as a guest sofa, providing their guests with a great place to sleep.
With such a sofa, accommodating guests for the night will never be a problem for households.
Some of the corner options are available without a back, while others boast a sturdy back. Most designs have retractable belts that can be pulled out to open the mattress hidden at the base. The same belts also extend the base on casters, and the hidden mattress can be laid on the base to create a comfortable and luxurious sleeping platform. Corner options can be a great solution for small rooms.
Modules are components of furniture, the combination of which allows you to modify the upholstered furniture in any convenient way. A corner sofa with a left turn and a right turn, a U-shaped sofa, a zigzag, a semicircle are just some of the options.
Moreover, the modules may well function as independent elements.
- variability of forms;
- independence of elements;
- the presence of compartments for storing linen;
- simple transformation mechanism;
- the ability to organize several separate beds or one large;
- convenience in zoning the room.
It should be noted that the mobile modules are relatively light in weight, therefore, a berth can turn out with gaps. Heavy modules that do not come apart and form a solid berth of a large size will be inconvenient to move.
Unfolding includes all types of folding beds. They are distinguished by the original design, as well as the method of transformation of the mechanism - everything unfolds like a roll. In total, there are three types of "folding beds":
- French With a thin foam mattress and sofa cushions. They are laid out in three stages. Can be with two separate beds.
- American ("sedaflex", "Belgian bed"). Two-step transformation, perfectly flat sleeping place with anatomical properties. May be with a recliner.
- Italian Unlike most models, the transformation of which begins with the seat, Italian systems use the back. Sinking down, she supports the orthopedic mattress lying on top.
In "folding beds" of any type there are no linen boxes.
The forward-facing sofa looks like a standard sofa, but it has a metal frame hidden in a section. You need to remove the seat cushions - and you can just pull out the metal frame to get a berth in no time. The design can easily be folded back into the frame of the sofa when the bed is not needed.
It is a convenient, effective and durable mechanism for using a piece of furniture in various ways. This option will serve as a fully functional bed with sufficient comfort and support, as well as a sofa on which you can relax during the day.
The following types of mechanisms are distinguished:
- The dolphin mechanism is incredibly simple. You need to raise the front to apply the click mechanism, and put it back to get a converted bed.
- "Eurobook" (or "book"). In most designs of such a sofa, the back cushion is first removed, and then the rest is disassembled. With such a sofa, it is important to make sure that he has enough space in front to turn around.
- The accordion mechanism is available in various styles, but simplicity and convenience are the main elements of the design. A sofa usually consists of two elements: a wooden or metal frame and a mattress on top. In most designs, the back is equipped with a click mechanism - to convert the sofa into a bed. Such furniture is great for places with limited space.
To make sure that the furniture fits in the room, you need to carefully measure. There are some tips on how to measure everything. To do this, use roulette (to get accurate results):
- It is necessary to measure the place of entry into the room. It is necessary to measure the height, as well as the length or width of any corridors and doors, openings.
- Then you need to measure the furniture itself. Measure the width and diagonal depth. You can do this right in the store.
- A large sofa is considered to be 200 × 200 cm in size. Such a sofa is quite wide and long, it is suitable for two people. It is also called a double.
- Single sofas are rather small and narrow products: 180 × 200 cm in size. They are considered small-sized. Compact options also include a small mini-sofa with a size of 160 × 200 cm.
- You need to compare the size of the apartment and furniture. Any other obstacles should be considered: ceilings, lamps, internal walls, stair rails and turns. The diagonal depth of the sofa can be defined as follows: measure the straight edge from the highest point of the back surface (not including the pillows) to the front of the armrest. Then, using a measuring tape, measure from the lower back corner of the sofa to the point that bisects the straight edge.
It is important to note that this is just a measurement guide. It does not guarantee that the furniture will fit. Consideration should be given to size restrictions — from the delivery truck to the destination.
The choice of a particular material not only determines the resistance of furniture to various influences. This is an element of creating a style in the room. The appearance and life of the sofa also depend on the upholstery and filler of the sofa. The options are most often the following:
- Flock. It is a dense fabric with a pleasant to the touch velvety surface. It is universal for most rooms in the house, excluding the kitchen (quickly saturated with the smell of food). Thanks to a special production technology (using different nap), the flock can imitate suede, velor, chenille coatings in a wide range of colors.
- Shenill Differs in softness and "fluffiness" of a covering. The strength is not inferior to flock, does not fade, poorly absorbs odors, hypoallergenic, washable.
- Jacquard. The most dense of these fabrics, solid, but pleasant to the touch. It softly fits furniture, withstands daily use and constant exposure to sunlight.
- Tapestry. Soft colored coating made of natural cotton, which can give a luxurious look to the furniture of the most concise form. The tapestry is easy to care for, it does not fade, there is no allergy from it. However, its natural origin is both a virtue and a disadvantage, since the material is quickly erased and loses its appearance without the addition of synthetic components.
- Leather. A leather sofa is an indicator of taste and affluence. Leather sofa is practical, beautiful appearance and high cost. However, the price of a luxury product is justified by its aesthetic qualities and impeccable service for a long time. Many choose its replacement - eco-leather.
- Leatherette. Not all can afford genuine leather, but there are several alternatives that are not inferior to it in terms of quality of service and appearance. These include leatherette and eco leather. Upholstery made of these materials will be much cheaper, but it will fit perfectly into the interior of a rich living room, study or kitchen.
Monochrome options look interesting. White leatherette sofa is almost universal for most interiors in a modern style. It looks very stylish, thanks to the features of the coating, it remains in perfect condition for a long time.
For those who still do not dare to purchase snow-white furniture, there are a number of models in other colors. Black leather (not always genuine), as well as brandy-colored furniture, cherry, green, blue, red and mustard shades are relevant.
Solid sofas are widely represented in upholstery from other materials. Flock with imitation of velor or velvet looks “expensive” and original, shenill and jacquard are interesting. Sofas in the so-called bicolor act as an alternative to monotony.
This can be a combination of contrasting colors, and a light pattern on a dark background in one color palette, and accessories that differ in tone.
Plain sofas with a large number of multi-colored pillows look like a more striking element in the interior. They can be large and small, tall, flat, puffy, round, elongated, in the form of rollers. Drawing fits any. Color combinations are very different. The main thing is that they harmonize with each other and with the main color of the furniture.
Pillows can be decorated with fringe, tassels, lace, made of material other than sofa upholstery.
The combination of textiles and wood is very relevant in modern design. Not all types of transformation mechanisms allow you to demonstrate parts of the frame, but in some cases it is possible, and not to take advantage of this would be an omission.
Natural plain fabrics and velvet combined with brushed (aged) wood - at the peak of popularity.
A distinctive feature of sofas for the living room, in which tea parties often take place with guests, is the tables. As a rule, the table is next to the armrest, can be extended and retracted. The material used for the manufacture of the table is chipboard, as well as MDF, wood, plywood.
How to choose a room?
There are several very important things to consider before buying furniture:
- It is necessary to determine whether a new piece of furniture will be used as a sofa most of the time. If you plan to use it more often as a sofa, you need to choose furniture with soft armrests, as well as a comfortable back. If the product is often used as a bed, then it is better to choose a sofa without backs and with a spring mattress.
- It is important to decide who will sleep on this couch. Children can get a good sleep on almost any surface. If the sofa will be used to accommodate older guests, you need to purchase a support mattress.
- You should know in advance the size of the room in which the furniture will stand. It makes no sense to purchase a piece of furniture for a room if it is too small or too large for her. You need to make sure that the room has enough space for a corner sofa. You may encounter the problem of installing furniture in a small room, where a more elegant and smaller sofa will look much better.
- It is important to consider the design of the room in which the furniture will be located.
- Reasonable shoppers never gain anything without first trying to learn it. Since the sofa bed will serve two purposes, it is necessary to conduct a double study to make sure that all the family members get the most out of the money spent on furniture.
- It is worth checking how the sofa unfolds, whether all the mechanisms work freely. It is also important to make sure that it does not creak.
- Many people just have to sit on the couch to check how comfortable it will be to relax on it. However, you need to check the level of comfort that the sofa offers when you lie on it. You need to remember that the sofa is not bought for one day, so you need to check it properly. A typical sofa bed offers a 4.5-inch thick mattress. To feel comfortable while sleeping, you should avoid the option where the thickness is less than 4.5 inches.
- Although this may not seem very important, it can become a real nuisance if you do not think in advance where to put the sofa. For the living room, corner furniture options with leather upholstery or microfiber upholstery are suitable, but you can not put such a sofa in the nursery. Instead, it’s better to choose other options.
- This is an item that many people tend to overlook. Struck by the appearance, quality or mechanism of a folding sofa, they may not take into account its weight, which can later become a real problem.
- Buying a product with guarantees from the manufacturer guarantees the quality of the goods. The main thing is to make sure that the product is sold with a guarantee from the manufacturer so as not to doubt its quality.
Where to place?
The options are as follows:
- In the living room. The drawing room is the “face” of the dwelling. In this room, the corner sofa not only provides a convenient pastime for conversations and a cup of coffee, but also is a style-forming element. It is important to ensure that the fabric, color, shape of the sofa and accessories match the overall style of the living room.
- In the children's room. Whatever its size, parents always try to provide their children with as much free space for games as possible, using different methods of correctly filling the room with furniture. Most often, a bunk bed appears as a sleeping place, but this option raises doubts among parents who consider high designs in children’s unsafe. You can choose corner sofas-transformers, they fit perfectly into the nursery.
- In the kitchen . There are two options: non-folding and folding type sofa. The folding folding is simple and in appearance resembles a bench with a back, upholstered in flock. If the sofa unfolds, this is an excellent option for turning the kitchen into a second bedroom in a one-room apartment (and in case guests arrive).
- In the bedroom. It often happens that the house does not have enough space in order to divide some vital areas into two separate rooms. The living room is combined with the bedroom, the bedroom with the study or the parent room.
In this case, the berth should be mobile and equipped with a transformation mechanism. The smaller the area it takes during the day, the more convenient it is in the room to work and do your own thing.
There are various options. You can select the most popular models.
The Senator corner sofa with removable armrests not only has a solid name, but also looks appropriate. By all characteristics, it belongs to luxury models. All sofas of this model are equipped with decorative pillows.
The classic version of the Palermo sofa will be a laconic and elegant decoration of the living room. When folded, its capacity is 4-5 people, and a berth of 152 cm wide is designed for two adults. The transformation mechanism is the Eurobook. The basis of the berth is an orthopedic spring unit.
This is a soft kitchen corner with a berth equal to a single bed. Angular execution, both right and left. You can assemble a sofa in a one-piece design at any wall in the kitchen. At the junction of furniture modules, you can place a shelf for things. It perfectly fits the cookbook, landline telephone, napkins, and any necessary small items.
A distinctive feature of the model is its relatively low cost. In the production of “Quadro” sofas, inexpensive materials are usually used: chipboard, plywood, metal, plastic, spring block “snake”. The upholstery is made of washable fabrics that do not absorb odors.
The transformation mechanism is “pantograph”. There are roomy storage compartments under the seat.
A similar model is Tokyo.
Design with armrests of complex geometric shape. In the classic version of the model there are no sofa cushions. The design is plain, often leatherette or flock. Overall dimensions - 2100 × 1100 × 820 mm. The berth is 1800 × 900 × 480, which is equivalent to a single bed. The transformation mechanism is “dolphin”.
Inside the seat is a wide chest of drawers for linen.
There are also options "Vegas Lux" and "Vegas Premium", surpassing the standard model in size. These models come with accessories.
The peculiarity of this model is that the upholstery is made of genuine leather. There is a more budget option - leatherette.
A leather product in itself looks “expensive” and elegant, so any accessories are removed. High armrests are also made in the simplest style. There is no inside laundry compartment. The durable dolphin mechanism is designed for everyday use and is designed for heavy loads.
The ratio of the lengths of the sides is 260 × 94 × 178 cm. The berth is 130 × 204 cm.
Beautiful appearance, convenience and nothing more - that’s how you can characterize this model. This is what attracts many consumers.
If there is a large and flat berth, it also has other advantages: a convenient roll-out mechanism, an elastic mattress, a built-in box, a universal variable angle.
In addition to the sofa, you can order a banquet made in the same style.
The Prestige sofa is an indicator of taste, prosperity and simply functional and beautiful furniture in the house. A distinctive design feature - in solid colors and pick. Pikovka is a special type of firmware for upholstered furniture, in which the firmware points are closed with buttons and form beautiful embossed “diamonds” on the furniture surface. Buttons can be located on the upper side of the product; picking without them is also possible.
The elastic material at the base of the sofa does not push through and retains its shape, no matter how often and no matter how long they sit on it. If necessary, it can easily be transformed into a spacious berth. The armrests are adjustable along with the back and seat. They are soft, comfortable and can serve as head restraints if installed at the right height.
The corner of the sofa is equipped with a box for bedding. The model is equipped with pillows with removable covers.
The model is convenient in that it is fully collapsible. You can adjust the height of individual parts, add and remove soft modules to change the parameters and appearance of the sofa. In the corner section there is a box for linen with ventilation holes.
A convenient transformation mechanism, a variety of colors and an adjustable angle make this model universal for any room in the house.
A modular corner sofa is a creative solution for decorating a living room. Soft modules can form left-side and right-side corners, function separately from each other. They have linen compartments. Some units feature beveled armrests.
It is possible to increase the dimensions of the sofa by adding new modules.
Judging by user reviews, it can be noted that many residents of apartments prefer to maximize their living space with a modern corner sofa with a berth.
Buyers say a corner sofa is a combination of comfort and style. A large number of design options allows you to place it in any interior. This is very popular with customers. Moreover, many of them make corner sofas with their own hands.
See the next video for an overview of sleeper kitchen sofas.
Beautiful interior design ideas
Many furniture designers offer options with a modern, elegant design without compromising on the functionality of the room. Modular and sectional sofas are extremely practical for small rooms, as they take up very little space and provide enough space for a large number of guests:
- In combination with a coffee table made of glass or complemented by beautiful tables, the sofa becomes the central element of the living room interior. Gray is a monochrome color, and this is its unique feature. It can be combined with any other color. The design of a gray sofa can be easily changed simply by changing decorative pillows.
- Many people think that gray is a boring color that is not very expressive and looks too boring. This is not true. Gray shades can be interesting, modern, sophisticated, classic, “welcoming”. You can create different types of design with different shades of gray. A gray sofa will be attractive and give the interior a sense of calm and serenity.
- Here pallets are used as foundations for this wooden corner sofa. It is installed a short distance from the open room to provide additional space. It can be a living room or an extra room in the house. The combination of pallets and blue pillows is so unique that it harmonizes perfectly with the rustic style and creates comfort.
- This corner sofa is the best option for small living rooms. It occupies an ideal angle, which gives more space for a coffee table.
- Thanks to the corner sofa in the corner, this living room looks spacious, although the space is actually really limited. White carpet helps create the illusion of space. Since the sofa is installed on the corner, there is enough space for one easy chair.
- There is not much room for large or wide furniture in this interior. That is why this L-shaped corner sofa will be the best choice. By installing it next to the walls with two windows, you can enjoy the view of the street.
- This luxurious living room is designed for rest and relaxation, enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. A curved corner sofa provides relaxing comfort, and large glass windows provide visual access to the outside world.
- Red on white is a combination that gives this room a very stylish contrast. The red corner sofa is wide enough to be comfortable, the pillows add bright splashes to the room.