Various audio markets offer both familiar, versatile speakers and sound devices with rarer properties such as water resistance. Their technical characteristics and design features provide more opportunities for use and, as a result, contribute to the growing popularity. Different models of speakers with waterproof function have their pros and cons, which become crucial in the selection process.
All waterproof speakers have one major advantage over conventional speakers - protection against moisture. Of course, there are ways to secure a universal model or repair a damaged one, but for this you need to understand how it is built, as well as certain skills, time and money. To avoid additional costs and hassles, you can easily choose a modern waterproof model.
The case of such columns is made of polymers, and the internal parts are isolated from foreign liquids.
Such acoustics are used in conditions of high humidity or in situations with a high probability of getting wet. They can be installed indoors - a bathroom, a shower, a sauna, a swimming pool, a production workshop.
Many use waterproof speakers outdoors, during sports, or at work with adverse conditions. With some models you can even swim, equip them with boats or scooters. Among their features distinguish:
- good sound;
- the convenience of use;
- protection not only from water, but also from dust and other microparticles (and at different times of the year);
- hygiene, as more thorough wet cleaning is possible.
Even in difficult conditions, do not deny yourself listening to music. After all, they positively affect the psyche and well-being, allow you to more efficiently perform work, play sports or just relax.
Like all other speakers, waterproof can be distinguished depending on their appearance. They can be round, oval or rectangular, with beveled sides or rounded corners. To a greater extent, the form affects only their design perception, than technical capabilities. Devices can be built-in or portable, have special devices for installation.
Impervious audio systems are divided into:
- active - equipped with receivers that improve sound quality even at low power;
- passive - need additional amplifiers, but they are cheaper and work even with sources equipped with a weak audio card.
In addition, it should be understood that the speakers differ in the degree of protection, which is indicated by the IP code. The higher this indicator, the less likely it is that the device will suffer.
- Moisture resistant is usually IP58. This means that it can be used during precipitation (rain, snow), which fall on the device from different angles.
- IP67 or 68 allow immersion in water for a short time (up to 30 minutes).
In other words, the moisture-proof column will work even if a small amount of water gets inside, and the moisture-proof column is completely protected from this.
However, not all devices tolerate sea water equally well and are suitable for installation on the beach or water transport.
Some waterproof speakers can be connected using a cable. This method is considered obsolete, but does not cease to be reliable. It has its advantages:
- can be powered both from a network and from a computer via USB;
- the device cannot be discharged and works while it is connected;
- there are both passive and active varieties (with an already built-in amplifier);
- give better sound, anti-jamming and high power output.
Despite the fact that they are considered more reliable and are used both at home and outdoors , wired speakers are more suitable for stationary use, since when moving you will have to take care of the availability of a power source, and this is not always convenient.
More modern speaker models were created in order to listen to music in any convenient place without being tied to wires and constant power sources. To synchronize with a computer or smartphone, you can use Bluetooth (in extreme cases, most models can be connected using the same cable). There are models that can play music from a drive (for example, a built-in memory card). Other advantages are:
- speakers that can be carried around are made compact with an appropriate design;
- among them you can find varieties with two speakers that provide good sound;
- such devices combine many different functions - they can replace the headset during a telephone conversation, show the time, control audio files from the display.
The disadvantages of wireless waterproof speakers are few, but they can be decisive when buying:
- the term of operation is limited by the battery charge, and the more intensively the device is used, the faster it will end;
- with all mobility, Bluetooth usually does not work beyond 10 meters;
- most portable devices cannot match wired sound quality.
In different situations, you may need certain characteristics of the speakers. But according to reviews, you can highlight the most popular and reliable models.
- MKUYT BTS-06 is an affordable compact speaker with a nice design and vivid color solutions. It quickly connects to the phone, conveniently attaches to smooth surfaces with a suction cup, it is convenient to control. Suitable for small rooms, allows you to answer phone calls.
- Mpow Buckler is a waterproof speaker with a microphone and a good battery. Receives data via Bluetooth and plays music for listening in the immediate vicinity. It can be safely used in the shower and on the street in any weather.
- Visaton FR 8 WP / 4 is a built-in model that can be easily mounted in any wall or ceiling. It is used to equip homes, industrial premises, swimming facilities, outdoor street areas in harsh climatic conditions.
- Ultimate Ears Roll 2 - a column that is convenient to carry in a backpack and mount anywhere with a clip. At high volume, the sound is slightly distorted, but in general it is not bad. It only supports Bluetooth, can withstand diving.
- Polk Audio BOOM Swimmer Duo is a wireless model in a stylish rubberized case with a headset replacement function. Powered by battery, recharged via USB. Fastens with a flexible holder to a pipe or suction cup to a smooth surface that enhances acoustics.
- The JBL Flip 4 Special Edition is a bargain with surround sound. Moisture-proof cylindrical body in different colors turns it into a stylish accessory. Connecting to the second column gives such an effect as from a full-fledged audio system.
- AOMAIS GO is a portable speaker capable of working for at least 24 hours. You can connect to gadgets using a cable or wireless, in addition, you can charge the phone from it yourself. Listening to music is just a pleasure, especially when bundled with the same speaker.
- Sony GTK-XB60 - an all-weather audio system with powerful speakers and rich sound field due to the EXTRA BASS function. It has a rotation sensor for functioning in a vertical or horizontal position, it works from the mains. You can use NFC, Bluetooth, USB to stream audio files. LED backlighting will help create a club atmosphere in nature or at home.
- JBL Pulse 3 - surround speaker, allows you to connect to multiple gadgets and listen to songs in turn. The manufacturer indicates that even with the light music on, her work lasts 12 hours. It is protected so that it does not get wet, even if it is completely in the water.
- Scosche BoomBottle - a trendy speaker system for relaxing and moving on two-wheeled vehicles. The sound is expressive, spreading in all directions. The assembly is high-quality, the appearance of the column is stylish and concise, it is fully consistent with its purpose.
How to choose?
- One of the important criteria for selection is the installation location. If we are talking about the room - it is necessary to take into account its size and how much it is covered with furniture, decoration and sound insulation.
- A small room does not need a lot of power (up to 70 watts), but in nature, sound should spread tens of meters (from 120 watts). In addition, it is necessary to evaluate the sensitivity, the number of bands and other characteristics.
- Almost all types of speakers can be connected to different devices - a smartphone, tablet, computer or TV. If the connection is via Bluetooth, it is better to choose a model with a wider core (up to 30 m). In order to avoid compatibility problems, a new version 4.0 must be installed on the device. With a small battery capacity, additional sources are needed for recharging, as an alternative, models with solar batteries can be used.
- For outdoor activities, the weight and dimensions of the column are important. Additional mountings in the form of carbines, suction cups and clips facilitate their use - including at home.
- Since the price range for waterproof models is significant, it is necessary to navigate in their technical characteristics . Not always branded acoustics are very different in sound or degree of protection from devices of little-known manufacturers. Warranty and the availability of a service center will be an additional plus.
- If you plan to use it outdoors (in the garden, on the playground, etc.), then the column should be all-weather - not afraid of water, sunlight, temperature increase or decrease. To do this, it is better to choose active acoustics, but in this case, grounding is required.
Video review of Scosche boomBOTTLE see below.