The modern textile market offers a huge selection of bedding. He, like any product on the market, is inherent in the constant updating of design and operational characteristics. It was as a result of the search for new ideas that a new invention of textile designers appeared - a stretched sheet. She appeared recently, but immediately became popular. About how to choose, fold, use and even sew it yourself - in this article.
What are and what are the benefits?
An elastic band is sewn into a similar sheet, due to which the sheet wraps the mattress on top, and the elastic, sewn along its edges and located at that moment under the mattress, supports the specified tightness. Thus, the sheet is fixed on the surface of the mattress, and does not move during human movements.
Its merits are obvious and numerous.
- As mentioned above - it is firmly fixed on the mattress. This characteristic can be appreciated only by checking it on yourself.
- This sheet can not be ironed. Due to its fixation and tension, it does not require ironing either after washing or in the morning.
- It is used not only as a sheet, but also as a cover for a mattress.
- Use on a children's mattress.
- For a restless baby sleep, a sheet with an elastic band is the best option.
How to choose
Bed linen with a tension sheet should be selected according to the following main criteria.
- The cloth. The most acceptable material for bedding has always been cotton fabric such as calico, but now any natural fabrics, including silk, linen and even terry, are given priority. In winter and summer, they "adapt" to the temperature of the body - in the summer they "give off" coolness, and in winter they do not "cool down". Despite the obvious advantage, artificial fabrics such as viscose and bamboo also gained relative popularity. With high quality production, such materials are not inferior to natural knitted, but have a more affordable price. Most synthetic fabrics are beautiful in appearance and easy to wash, but can adversely affect the skin with prolonged or constant contact.
- The size. Sheets, like any bed linen, have the standards of the models produced: the largest - euromaxi - the royal set is available in size 200x200 cm; double set - euro - 180x200 cm; one more double - small - 160x200 cm; and one and a half sets of 140x200 and 90x200 cm in size. The dimensions of the sheet are selected according to the dimensions of the mattress, therefore, in addition to standard sizes, models with other dimensions began to be produced. If there is a lot of free space when pulling a sheet over the mattress, it is better to alter the sheet, because in this case it will not stay on it.
- The bed is selected according to your favorite pattern or color at the buyer's sole discretion. But you need to remember that any bedding tends to lose its color over time.
How to fold
This question may sound a little strange, especially when it comes to sheets. It’s easy to fold an ordinary sheet, but, oddly enough, a sheet with an elastic band, despite its parachute shape, is also easy to fold.
To do this, do the following:
- Take the sheet in both hands, fold it in half, “pull” the corners into each other.
- Fold the sheet in half again, connecting the corners together.
- Fold the sheet in three parts in width.
- Fold the sheet in half again and repeat again.
There is another way to fold a sheet with an elastic band.
- Lay out the laundry on a large and flat surface such as a table or bed.
- The lower corners are inserted into the upper corners.
- The edges with elastic are smoothed out.
- The upper half of the sheet is laid inside like a pocket.
- The lower half of the sheet is laid on top.
- Next, the sheet is folded several more times in half to the size you need.
The first folding option is more suitable for small sheets with an elastic band of 160x80 or 80x160 cm in size. Their difference, despite the same numbers, is that each of them is designed for mattresses of various sizes.
The second folding option is more suitable for bedding in the following sizes: 80x200 cm, 90x200 cm, 120x200 cm, 90x190 cm. They differ in much larger size and the second method is more suitable for them than the first.
It’s not easy to get used to folding such a sheet the first time, but over time you can acquire a good skill.
How to sew
If you have not found a suitable sheet in the stores, then it is very easy to sew it yourself.
Materials needed: fabric, threads, sewing machine, elastic and crayon for fabric.
- The process begins with the selection of fabric. As with any bedding, any cotton (or other natural) fabric is always the priority.
- Next, measure the dimensions of the mattress. From 30 to 50 cm are added to the measured values for the part of the fabric that will fit the sides of the mattress. The pattern can be done both on graph paper, and immediately right on the wrong side of the fabric.
- Next, the pattern is cut out and folded two times in half.
- From the edge, a measured square measuring 25x25 cm is cut with scissors.
- A seam is made at a distance of 2.5 cm into the hem and is sewn with a machine stitch along the inner edge.
- A gum is threaded through a pin with a pin.
- The product is ready.
As you can see, bedding is pretty easy. According to the same instruction, you can also sew the product for an oval mattress, you just need to make an oval-shaped pattern. The rest is the same.
Most buyers, of course, are quite acquiring this kind of product. In addition to the fact that the process of making the bed has become much easier, as they note, so even such sheets do not require careful care. Consumers noted the mass of free time spent earlier on ironing the sheet.
Of the insignificant disadvantages, the possibility of not always storing such laundry in a convenient form is noted. You have to stuff your hand before you start folding the sheets correctly.
Bed linen with a sheet on an elastic band appeared recently and it’s a sin not to feel all the convenience of using it on yourself.
See how to fold a stretch sheet correctly in the next video.