The Driva expansion bolt shield is applied at any works with drywall. In its manufacture using high quality materials, they are responsible for strength, durability and resistance to external influences. Screw threading, located on the surface of the dowel, guarantees strong adhesion to the base, eliminates the loss of self-tapping screw.
For each foundation, whether it is concrete, wood or drywall, a specific approach is required that takes into account their properties. Gypsum plasterboards are brittle and easily destroyed; it is impossible to drive a nail into them or to screw in a screw without preparation. Here you should use a special fastener element - a dowel for drywall.
Choosing the right dowel depends on the weight of the proposed structure and the availability of free space behind the sheet.
One of the most popular and often used by fasteners is the Driva dowel. It is designed for fastening to soft materials that are capable of crumbling or delaminating (GKL sheets, chipboard plates). It is screwed directly into the wall without preparation with a screwdriver or screwdriver. Installation is quite easy and does not require additional skills, which facilitates the task as a whole. At the end of the work, there is almost never any garbage or sawdust. If necessary, the brand dowel can be easily dismantled without destroying the base.
Plastic fasteners are mainly used when they want to fix the baseboard, lamp, switch, small shelves. Metal is taken when it is necessary to install heavy massive objects. Driva dowels are used in the construction of various designs, hidden niches, false walls, false ceilings, as well as in cases where it is important to use metal profile guides. They correctly distribute the load and do not deform the base.
Manufacturers offer a choice of two types of Driva fasteners:
In the manufacture of a plastic product, polyethylene, polypropylene or nylon is used, a metal dowel is made of an alloy of zinc, aluminum or low carbon steel. These materials are of high quality, which ensures the strength and durability of the elements for fasteners. Dowels of this brand are able to withstand a fairly large load.
Metal fasteners withstand weight up to 32 kg, plastic varieties differ in weight load up to 25 kg.
The high quality materials used in the manufacture of these dowels give dowels the following properties:
- wear resistance;
- moisture resistance;
- ease of installation;
- resistance to environmental influences and temperature difference.
Specialized plastic, which is used in the manufacture, does not deform or stretch over time. It calmly withstands low temperatures up to -40 degrees. At the same time, such a dowel is light and affordable, so it is in great demand among buyers. Metal fasteners are coated with an anti-corrosion solution, so they are resistant to moisture and do not rust during operation. This increases the service life in comparison with other dowels, makes the choice of this fastener optimal.
Externally, the brand dowel is a rod with a screw thread , it is hollow inside and has a flat head. The cap has a hole for a Phillips screwdriver. At the end of the fastener there may be a sharp tip that acts as a screw. It helps to screw fasteners into the surface of the base easily and accurately. It also eliminates spontaneous loosening and loss of fasteners from the socket. The dimensions of Driva dowels are 12/32, 15/23 mm in plastic products, and 15/38, 14/28 mm in metal varieties.
In order to fix the fasteners on the GKL sheet and be sure that they will withstand the assigned load, it is worthwhile to adhere to certain steps.
- To begin, outline the place of future fastening. If you use profile guides, firmly install them, firmly press the drywall to the profile.
- Then, using a screwdriver, drill the required holes in the base. Use a drill with a diameter of 6 or 8 mm. If you use metal fasteners, you can do without this step (they have a sharp tip that allows you to screw the dowel directly into the GKL sheet).
- Screw the dowel into the prepared hole with a Phillips screwdriver or screwdriver. Using a plastic element, carefully monitor the speed of the screwdriver: it should be lower than when working with metal.
- Use a self-tapping screw or screw to fasten the desired item. Do not forget what load the dowel can withstand, do not exceed the recommended weight.
Shops are full of various types of fasteners from various materials, various price categories. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. Driva drywall dowels have proven their worth.
Their main advantages are:
- lack of preliminary work (drilling);
- minimum free space behind the drywall sheet;
- weight load from 25 to 32 kg;
- easy dismantle of fastening;
- low price.
These dowels are resistant to the influence of external factors, they are inherent in:
- frost resistance;
- moisture resistance;
- fire resistance;
- resistance to corrosion;
These qualities make the choice of Driva dowels optimal for any construction work. They are convenient to use, practical.
Approaching the choice of fasteners, like other building materials, you need to be clear about what you want to get in the end result.
- If you are building additional frame elements in the room or want to hang heavy cabinets, then you should choose a metal dowel.
- It is important to calculate in advance the estimated weight that the structure will bear, depending on this, it is worth choosing the necessary size (length and diameter of the self-tapping screw).
- For light objects (paintings, photographs, small shelves, wall lamps), plastic fasteners are perfect.
Driva dowels, according to many people, are an excellent choice for drywall work. They are simple and comfortable to use, do not require special knowledge and tools, are easily dismantled without destroying the material. They are chosen by professional craftsmen and ordinary heads of families.
How to screw the dowel into drywall, see below.