GVL sheets are deservedly considered one of the best materials used in construction as an alternative to gypsum board. They have many positive characteristics that make them an indispensable material in the decoration. Although this is a fairly new material on the Russian market, he has already managed to prove himself on the positive side. Its multifunctionality and reliability were appreciated by builders and consumers, and now GVL is applied everywhere.
Plasterboard slabs are made by combining gypsum and cellulose fibers from processed waste paper. The shape of the sheet is obtained by applying a press. Under high pressure, the components are compressed and turned into a sheet of gypsum fiber. Although gypsum board is some analogue of gypsum fiber, gypsum board sheets are much more durable and reliable and overtake gypsum board in many ways. These plates are used when it is necessary to carry out work on the construction of strong partitions.
Plasterboard can be divided into two main types: standard (GVL) and moisture resistant (GVLV). It is also possible to distinguish plates with an edge in the form of a longitudinal line (designated as PC) and an edge with a fold (marked as FC). Sheets, for which there is no edge, are marked under the letter K. Sheets with a straight edge (PC) are used when sheathing of frame structures is required, that is, for walls and ceilings. It is worth considering that for the joints of such plates it is necessary to apply reinforcement. Sheets with a seam edge (FC) are two glued sheets that are offset along the axis relative to each other by about 30-50 millimeters.
The main advantages of GVL
- Such material is environmentally friendly, because it contains only cellulose and gypsum. For this reason, gypsum fiber does not emit any harmful substances and is absolutely harmless to humans.
- GVL sheets are very resistant to temperature changes, so they can be used even in a cold room.
- Such material is an excellent noise isolator. Often with the use of GVL, special screens are made to reflect extraneous noise.
- Gypsum fiber tolerates moisture very well, so it can be used even when decorating a bathroom or kitchen.
- The material is very resistant to fire, which reduces the likelihood of a fire.
- Gypsum fiber can be adjusted to any size by cutting it. Such material does not crumble, and if necessary, you can safely drive in nails or screw in it.
- GVL is also a good insulation, as it has low thermal conductivity. Plasterboard is able to retain heat indoors for a long time.
GOST provides for various sizes of GVL boards in length, width and thickness. In particular, the following size options are provided by thickness: 5, 10, 12.5, 18 and 20 mm. The width distinguish sizes of 500, 1000 and 1200 mm. GVL length is presented by such standards: 1500, 2000, 2500, 2700 and 3000 mm.
Sometimes plates and non-standard sizes are produced , for example, 1200x600x12 or 1200x600x20 mm. If you need to purchase a significant amount of non-standard products, it sometimes turns out to be easier to order it directly from the manufacturer than to find it ready-made in the store
The only drawback of GVL is that it is a rather heavy material, especially in comparison with its gypsum board. For example, a plate measuring 10 by 1200 by 2500 mm weighs about 36-37 kg. Therefore, during the installation of GVL, fairly strong profiles are needed, not to mention truly strong male hands. The fastening of such plates on the walls requires a strong frame. Sometimes, wood bars are used instead.
Small-sized plates can be fixed to the walls without the help of a frame. Their installation can be carried out using special glue.
Sometimes during construction it is necessary to cut off the GVL sheet. For cutting gypsum boards, you can even use an ordinary knife.
The procedure is as follows:
- It is necessary to attach a flat rail to the GVL sheet, on which it is worth making a marking.
- Draw a knife several times along the marking (5-6 times).
- Next, the rail is placed under the incision. After which the plate needs to be carefully broken.
For inexperienced builders, the best way out when cutting a GVL sheet is a jigsaw. Only this tool is able to provide an even and clear cut of the plate.
GVL laying on the floor
Before installing the GVL sheets on the floor, it is necessary to carefully prepare the base. The old coating must be removed, and all rubbish must be removed. Even contamination deserves special attention, which, ideally, should not be - they do not contribute to adhesion. Irregularities and defects must be eliminated with the cement mortar from which the screed is made. Then a waterproofing layer is laid on the floor. If necessary, resort to adding expanded clay, this is done for additional thermal insulation of the floor. After the above actions, you can proceed directly to laying gypsum fiber sheets.
This is done as follows:
- First, it is worth sticking the damper tape.
- Next, the sheets themselves are laid on the floor. Their fastening is carried out by using glue or self-tapping screws. It is important to remember that the screws should be screwed in, observing a certain distance between them (approximately 35-40 cm are recommended). A new row is laid with a joint offset of at least 20 cm.
- At the final stage, it is necessary to carefully process all the joints between the sheets. This can be done with glue residue, but it is better to use putty. Then, any coating can be laid on gypsum fiber sheets.
GVL for walls
In this case, there are two ways to mount sheets to the wall.
With this method, GVL sheets are attached to the walls using special glue. The type of glue and its amount will depend on the bumps on the walls. If the defects on the wall are small, gypsum adhesive is applied to the sheets and pressed to the surface. If the irregularities on the wall are significant, then it is worthwhile to apply special strong adhesive around the perimeter of the sheet, and then every 30 cm pointwise in the middle. If in the future it is planned to hang any kind of cargo in the form of shelves or hangers, it is necessary to lubricate the entire surface of the sheet with glue for greater reliability.
For this method, it is first necessary to make an iron frame that can withstand a large load. Also, under the frame, you can put additional insulation or sound insulation, there you can also hide electrical wiring, as well as other communications. The GVL sheets themselves must be mounted on the frame using special double-thread self-tapping screws.
The main errors in the installation of GVL
There are some subtleties that you need to consider when working with gypsum fiber sheets.
To avoid the most popular mistakes, follow these tips:
- before putting putty it is not necessary to remove a facet;
- for fastening sheets to the base, there are special screws with double-row thread, which must be used;
- at the joints of the sheets it is important to leave gaps that are equal to half the thickness of the plate;
- such gaps are filled with plaster putty or special glue;
- Before installing the GVL, it is important to prepare the walls, that is, to level them, remove irregularities, and make a primer.
Things to consider when choosing
When purchasing GVL sheets, you should pay extreme attention to the manufacturer. Knauf company sheets, which have long established themselves in the building materials market, have very good quality. Analogs of domestic manufacturers, although they will cost less, but their quality is noticeably inferior to German. When buying moisture resistant sheets, you need to carefully read the product labeling. Such moisture-resistant sheets in appearance may not differ from the standard ones, so it is important to read what is written on the package.
When choosing any building materials, the cost should be the last argument in favor of choosing one or another product. Good moisture-resistant Knauf sheets, depending on size, can cost up to 600 rubles apiece, but it is better not to be greedy, because the avaricious pays twice.
GVL sheets are very high quality and easy to process material. Their weight is quite significant, which puts a big load on the walls of the room, however, the advantages are numerous. It is possible to carry out installation of GVL with your own hands. Also, the material is very resistant to temperature changes, and even to high frosts. Most sheets are able to withstand up to 8-15 freezing cycles and not lose their properties. Such material is indispensable in the decoration of various surfaces, is guaranteed to meet all expectations and will please you with a long service life.
All about the properties of GVL sheets, see below in the video.