The presented variety of fabrics used today for the manufacture of bedding sets is sometimes quite difficult to understand. Among the materials that most often act as raw materials for tailoring, percale and poplin are in special demand.
To have the most complete picture of these tissues, you need to consider in detail their characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
The selection of bed linen only at first glance may seem like a fairly simple event, however, in fact, the possibility of a good rest will directly depend on the choice made. Sleep is the key to successful replenishment of the energy spent, and the material from which the sheet, pillowcase and duvet cover will be made will directly affect the comfort of spending time in bed.
Poplin and percale sets have long been in great demand, due to a similar preference for a number of characteristics of these fabrics. First of all, it is worth noting that the materials have a certain similarity with each other due to the fact that natural cotton threads are used as raw materials for their manufacture.
Poplin and percale are characterized by almost identical density indicators, which leads to their good wear resistance during the active operation of ready-made sets. The production of these materials occurs through plain weaving of cotton threads. With a multiple increase in a fragment of a material, some similarities between the canvas and the chessboard can be noted, since the main threads are intertwined with the secondary one through one.
As for the appearance, both options are attractive and are offered in a wide range of colors.
Despite a certain similarity of fabrics, they still have a number of unique features that allow these materials to be attributed to various types of raw materials used for sewing textile products for bedrooms.
First of all, we should dwell on the history of the emergence of two materials. Material such as poplin began to be produced in France several centuries ago. It was first obtained specifically for the Pope, which led to its name.
Regarding the second material, it can be said that they began to manufacture it in the East - in hot India, where the ability to bring much-needed coolness to the body was of particular importance for textiles.
Despite the rather unpleasant name of the material, and percale in translation means “rag”, in a very short period of time, the fabric became popular not only in its homeland, but also far beyond its borders. And the French weavers and needlewomen, taking the experience from Indian craftsmen, began to make percale in their workshops and sew various products for home from it, as well as casual clothes for men and women.
A notable difference between the materials can be considered the thickness of the threads used for the production. Percale consists of thicker cotton weaves ; in addition, during the work, the fibers are combed out in a special way, but do not twist together.
Another specific feature of fabric production is the coating of fibers with a special substance that has the ability to glue cotton threads together. Such methods have a beneficial effect on such an indicator of raw materials as strength.
From the long history of percale, one can note such a remarkable feature as the use of fabric for the manufacture of parachutes, which speaks for itself about the strength of raw materials and finished products from it.
Sizing with an adhesive also has a beneficial effect on the ability of the material to retain its original appearance for a long time, since the product prevents the loss of color from exposure to ultraviolet rays. In addition, it does not allow the fibers to fluff, in the light of which the products remain smooth and pleasant to the touch for a long time. But the products from percale are wrinkled quite quickly, which makes it necessary to iron the sheets from such raw materials.
From the foregoing, we can conclude that percale is a light, but at the same time strong fabric, it differs from poplin in a higher cost. The average life of percale bedding is ten years .
Poplin almost does not crease during operation, it is considered an exquisite material with a more porous weaving structure, since cotton threads do not adhere so much to each other during the production process. But poplin bedding will be suitable for use no more than five years .
The production of a material such as poplin occurs by the method of weaving cotton fibers, sometimes with the addition of synthetic raw materials of different density levels. A similar method of production determines the unique structure of the surface of the material - it is covered with small scars.
Poplin is widely used not only for the manufacture of bedding, but also for sewing tablecloths, towels and clothes.
On sale you can find poplinovy products, which include silk and even woolen threads. It is these types of material that are in demand for sewing luxury and high-quality bedding.
To check the composition of the product, you should familiarize yourself with the label on the product, in which manufacturers indicate the presence of natural and synthetic fibers in percentage terms.
Comparison of advantages and disadvantages
To obtain an objective idea of the materials used for sewing linen, it is necessary to consider in detail the positive and negative sides of each of them.
As for percale products, the following features can be considered advantages of products.
- Long service life . As practice and numerous consumer reviews show, percale demonstrates high wear resistance in comparison with most cotton products for bedrooms. This advantage is due to the density of the filaments of raw materials, which is about 140 g / m2, which is several times higher than similar indicators of other natural fabrics.
- Product strength . Bedding even after numerous washes in washing machines and irons does not lose strength, which minimizes the risk of hole formation on the products.
- The ability to preserve the brightness of the applied pattern and its original shape. As experience shows, the fabric does not deform under the influence of mechanical factors, and is also not prone to the formation of spools and faded colors after washing.
- Comfort of use of the material. Since the method of twisting cotton fibers between themselves is not used in the process of making percale, this increases its softness, making linen more pleasant. In some cases, you can notice a slight effect of the body sliding on the surface of percale sheets.
- The material does not chill. Such products can be used in the cold season without fear of freezing, because it retains temperature, but it passes air well, which has a cooling effect when used in summer.
Percale bedding also has flaws. These include the fact that the fabric still creases during use, so after washing, regardless of its method, the product will need to be ironed.
Recently, some manufacturers during the manufacturing of the material began to additionally include synthetics in its composition, which may adversely affect the characteristics of the finished product, in particular, hamper air exchange. As a rule, on the label of such sets there is a corresponding designation - mixed percale.
Dwelling on the merits of poplin and products from it, such features should be noted.
- Material strength . During operation, cases of wear of products, even such as sheets on family and children's sets, are quite rare.
- Products perfectly pass air . Due to good air circulation, the body can “breathe”, which increases the hygiene of textile products.
- The fabric perfectly stores heat . Products will not cause discomfort when used in winter.
- Large selection of products . Today, manufacturers of sleeping sets offer products from printed, plain-dyed and multi-colored poplin, which allows you to choose products for your individual preferences regarding appearance.
- Hypoallergenic material . Poplinovy bedding is allowed for use in the presence of various skin ailments without fear of developing unpleasant reactions of the dermis in contact with it.
- Ease of care for products . A positive feature of textiles is considered undemanding in terms of the use of any special means for washing.
- Resistance to deformation . Such products do not crease after washing, in addition, do not lose color.
- Softness texture . The material is very soft and silky, so it is pleasant when in contact with the body during sleep.
Among the minuses of poplin bedding, it is necessary to highlight the cases when the purchased products with an admixture of wool or silk in their composition after washing gave a decent shrink.
Which is better?
It is quite difficult to give an unambiguous answer to the question of which of the materials under consideration will be the best, since in the matter of choosing such products, each customer is guided by individual preferences, evaluating certain characteristics of the fabric.
However, taking into account the fundamental properties of materials, it should be borne in mind that percale will still surpass poplin in terms of strength of threads, due to the use of a special composition in the manufacture. This implies its higher resistance to abrasion during operation. Density is also important, but if there is a need to purchase thinner products, poplin should be preferred.
For those who do not like to iron, it is recommended to opt for poplin sheets and pillowcases, since they will not need to be steamed after washing.
Consumers whose priority is the price of a bedding set should pay attention to poplin products, the cost of which will often be significantly lower. But their service life will be shorter, which is important in terms of the appropriateness of the purchase in terms of savings. Special attention should be paid to sets of sleeping clothes that contain additional synthetic impurities, since artificial fibers can significantly affect the features and advantages of natural fabrics.
Bed linen is a thing that is constantly in use, so in some cases, the wear resistance of percale is still a more significant advantage over poplin. In light of the large number of low-quality textile products that have appeared on the market, special attention should be paid to the seams of the products, they should be made in tone with the kit, as well as the smell of the new kit, which should not contain harsh chemical impurities.
More information on the difference in poplin versus percale in the next video.