Almost all the problematic aspects regarding the proper organization of the workspace for a PC are solved in the process of choosing a computer desk. This product should meet the requirements of ergonomics as much as possible, take as little space as possible in the room, be comfortable, harmonize with the interior of the room and at the same time provide the user with the opportunity to work as efficiently as possible.
What are the types
Today the market impresses with a variety of different models, and therefore, in the process of choosing the best option, it is important to consider the following aspects.
- Product functionality;
- Manufacturing material;
- The form;
- Design Features.
In addition, relevant to the consumer is the question of how harmoniously the product will fit into the interior of the room. In this context, the area of the room, its features and style decisions play a role.
From the point of view of convenience and comfort, it is useful to take into account the age and height of the user, as well as the features of his physique.
By functionality, the tables are divided into two extensive working groups:
- Exclusively for computers . In this group, design solutions provide maximum conditions for effective work;
- Products combining a writing desk and a computer desk . This option is convenient for students and office workers, often performed with drawers.
A narrower classification includes tables for two, in the living room, folding and sliding, with a chest of drawers, modular and wall tables.
Based on the materials used, computer tables come in the following varieties.
- Made of wood . Wood is an environmentally friendly material. Products from it are sophistication, prestige, durability, as well as a number of other advantages. For example, furniture is popular today, in which Sonoma oak is used, distinguished by its pleasant, soft grayish-pink shade. Such furniture is aesthetic, durable and wear-resistant. The disadvantages include the high price;
- From chipboard and MDF . Particleboard is the most popular material of relatively low cost today. Due to special coatings, it is moisture resistant and sufficiently durable. However, this material is toxic and swells if damaged or wet. Often during assembly or disassembly of a product, deformation of the mounting holes occurs. Not always satisfies the quality of the coating. When buying, you should bear in mind the presence of labels of the ecological class (E1; E2; E3). The best choice is furniture of class E0, E1. MDF, in comparison with particle board, is more practical and environmentally friendly, but has a price slightly higher.
- Glass . Glass, as an exclusive solution, is used as an element that visually expands the room and refreshes its interior. It is environmentally friendly, slightly damaged and easy to clean, but has lower strength properties in comparison with other materials. Unfortunately, glass easily retains fingerprints, which requires additional care. The material is "cold." The recommended thickness of such a countertop is at least 10 mm. Models look great in the interiors of small rooms;
- Metal . Often, frames and other elements of products are made of metal (stainless steel or aluminum). For the execution of individual elements, plastic is also used.
The standard table length for a computer is about 110-140 cm. Long tables are made mainly for offices or for home, for example, for two schoolchildren. The width of the product is 50-80 cm. The correct choice of the size of the countertop, which can be straight or oval, is determined by the parameters of the monitor and additional computer components. In a small room, in order to save space, the table is equipped with shelves and niches. In a large room, the working space can be increased horizontally, due to additional countertops and stands.
Ergonomically justified tabletop depth - 60-90 cm. A narrow table does not provide the optimal size of the working space, and too wide creates a feeling of discomfort.
In this sense, it is more convenient to use models where the tabletops have a special cutout that increases the usable area and the level of comfort in work.
The acceptable height of the table is 75-80 cm. Some models provide for its adjustment, which is very convenient if the user is a schoolboy. The tabletop should be placed approximately at the level of the user's solar plexus, and his legs should be free to stand on the floor in a state bent at 90 degrees. There is a formula for calculating the optimal height.
Hx75 / Nsr,
where H is the height of a person; 75cm - typical table height; Nsr - the average height of a man (175cm) or a woman (162cm). For tall people, a table is best done by order.
The color palette of computer tables is extremely diverse. There are a number of criteria that it is advisable to adhere to when choosing a product.
- If the user spends a long time at the computer, then it would be more expedient to purchase a computer table in light colors, since this color contrasts with a bright screen to a lesser extent. This combination is less tiring for the eyes;
- From a practical point of view, it is important to consider that dusting on dark surfaces is much more noticeable than on light;
Choosing a color, you must also be guided by the color design of the interior of the room. Not the least place is occupied by fashion and style trends. Today, for example, saturated brown and darkish shades are popular. The colors blue, cyan and their shades are less common.
Black and white combination greatly enlivens the composition. Well combined with black is gray. It is not easily soiled and has many shades. Gray computer tables are sold in versions - transparent gray and matt gray.
For small products, a silver shade is very popular. Such material looks technologically advanced, corresponds to advanced styles and goes well with dark equipment and chrome fragments of the composition.
Furniture is considered trendy, combining white color (elm) with noble black (wenge) or walnut color. These colors are used if they are in harmony with the interior of the room.
High-tech style is a mixture of minimalism, constructivism and cubism. Hi-tech is as comfortable and functional as possible. Computer desks of this style are made for different in size and well-lit rooms. There are also office options. The shapes and colors of the product are concise and strict. This style harmoniously combines glass, plastic, metal, wood and artificial stone; furniture of this style exudes optimism and a creative lifestyle. The dimensions of these products are mostly small.
The classic version of a computer desk is, as a rule, a standard without any unnecessary elements, used both for writing and for a computer. The main advantages are comfort and versatility.
Calm, unhurried and reliable life style - these are the feelings that the Provence style causes. The thoroughness of this style is characteristic for the design of the entire apartment, its furnishings and decorative details. Provence combines classic with light tones of wood texture or matching coating. Both plain and aged wood are used.
Loft style combines minimalist trends, asceticism and the use of unprocessed natural surfaces (metal, brick, wood, natural stone). Simplicity, convenience, practicality, functionality, compactness, lack of decorative elements, naturalness of materials are the main qualities of a loft. Structurally, a computer desk in this style is not much different from the usual.
In the generally accepted sense, the word decor is a set of additional elements related to the artistic and aesthetic design of a particular design, interior. In fact, this is a non-constructive part of the main subject. Style, color and accessories are the main components of the decor.
Unusual objects, compositions placed on the table, very beautiful crafts acquired in the store or made by one’s own hands can serve as decor. All of these accessories can be functional or simply decorate a computer desk. The main requirement for the decor is a harmonious combination of its elements with the overall interior of the room, its style and design.
Varieties of decor include mirrors, paintings, eco-decor, posters and photographs, wood, metal and other materials.
In this context, decor is the exclusive prerogative of the user.
Design is a combination of functional and aesthetic qualities of an object. In this context, computer tables are divided into types.
- Semicircular and U-shaped
- With shelves or drawers;
- With pencil cases and speakers;
- With luxury add-ons and lockers;
- Shelving tables;
To save space, use corner and semicircular tables. Rectangular tables are universal.
Even in small rooms, with the help of various types of add-ons, pencil cases, you can form a fully functional workspace. Add-ins are usually designed to house books and business tools. It is convenient to place decor items on them. Pencil cases have the same purpose, realizing the “everything at hand” function.
A shelving table is especially practical for students, since it can successfully combine a countertop and shelves that allow you to functionally arrange the little things needed in your work.
How to choose a model?
When choosing a suitable desktop for a computer, both in functional and ergonomic senses, it is necessary to proceed from a number of requirements of a general and private nature. General requirements are as follows.
- It is desirable that the area of the table is about 1.5 square meters;
- The illumination of the table should be good, and the light scattered. The direction of the light must be adjustable;
- The angular model is perhaps the most convenient, since it not only ensures the correct position of the elbows, but also the accessibility of all sections of the table;
- Access to the processor should be convenient and easy;
- The stability of the table must be reliable;
- The monitor is installed at the level of the countertop itself or even slightly lower;
- The table has the necessary holes for connecting cables.
You can formulate some individual comments on the choice of a computer table.
- The place for legs should satisfy comfortable working conditions. The processor should not be confused underfoot;
- The processor stand must be open to provide good ventilation.
Advantages and disadvantages
When choosing a product, it is important to be guided by knowledge and remember some of its typical advantages and disadvantages that may occur in poorly designed and manufactured models. The benefits include the following.
- The model is designed taking into account a competent and comfortable location at the table in terms of maintaining a healthy posture and working view;
- The design of the model allows you to arrange work items at arm's length;
- The model has all the necessary and appropriate boxes and shelves to accommodate the functional units of the computer;
- Saving free space does not occur at the expense of the usability and health of the user.
The following disadvantages are encountered:
- The support for the processor is made in the form of a deaf box, preventing its normal ventilation;
- Inconvenient access to the processor;
- The table for the computer is unstable.
Famous manufacturers and reviews
In the modern market of computer desks, despite the abundance of their manufacturers, a special place is occupied by Italian manufacturers and the Swedish concern Ikea. The products of these manufacturers are characterized by an optimal ratio according to the criterion of “price-quality”, a wealth of choice, a commitment to a single design concept and practicality.
Italian manufacturers of computer tables are distinguished by a wide range of products, its functionality and reliability. Models from Italy are extremely diverse. Natural materials are widely used: beech, Italian oak, wenge, apple tree and others. The main styles of performance are as follows.
- Art Deco;
- Glamor and others.
Beautiful and unusual in their form and execution of Italian glass computer tables. Refinement, high quality, and remarkable design distinguish the Italian furniture manufacturer from many others.
Analysis of customer reviews of Italian furniture products indicates, first of all, the high quality of the product and its affordable prices.
In a positive aspect, there is a variety of proposals, including for rooms of small sizes, as well as a variety of style solutions. The vast majority of buyers say that they are regular customers of Italian manufacturers. Italian furniture has a stable consumer in Russia.
Concern Ikea is deservedly today one of the best manufacturers of home furniture at reasonable prices. The advantages of Ikea products include the following.
- Wide range of;
- The presence of a single design concept;
- Compactness, ergonomics, practicality and functionality;
- The use of environmentally friendly materials;
- High product quality is the main production principle of the concern.
The company produces computer tables made of wood, plastic, metal, as well as combined models. These are products from solid pine, birch, decorated with oak or ash veneer, various stains, acrylic varnishes. The predominant color palette is white, gray, dark brown.
According to customers, the company has a large number of new ideas and successful implementations. It is noted that Ikea products are reliable, stylish and practical, and a single design concept with a variety of modern style and design solutions and at relatively low prices for products allows you to choose furniture to your liking.
Modern novelties and stylish furniture options.
The modern and stylish version of the iDesk workstation for the home looks great in a bright room.
Design model from Heckler Designs for small rooms. Recommended location is by the window.
The original Gareth Battensby Sync Desktop model with retractable monitor.
MisoSoup Design's workstation is convenient for working and storing office supplies on a shelf formed by the upper bend.
See how to choose the right computer desk in the next video.