The design of the shower cabin can be performed using a variety of materials that will meet the interior of the bathroom, as well as cope with their functional tasks. Modern showers are equipped with various devices, but glass is still the most attractive and sought-after raw material for fencing.
The showers of the latest generation have undergone many major improvements, in comparison with the first shower models.
A distinctive feature of shower cabins is affordable cost, due to practicality and minimalism. Designs are designed for completely obvious hygienic purposes, and therefore are often decorated without any frills.
Despite the fact that glass showers have been used in everyday life not so long ago, due to their individual properties, they make a worthy competition to other models.
First of all, this is explained by the naturalness of raw materials, since glass production does not use materials unsafe for human health.
Plumbing made of glass is a modern and aesthetic interior item in the room. The range of products is represented by classic models, which stand out by the strictness of lines, simplicity and conciseness of design.
Showers with glass walls have several advantages:
- aesthetic appeal in combination with protective properties aimed at maintaining the optimum level of humidity in the room during operation of the cabin for its intended purpose;
- long service life: glazing, with proper and careful handling, will last more than a dozen years, due to the fact that the material does not decay, does not age and is not subject to other destruction processes, unlike most other products;
- the process of installing glass partitions takes a minimum of time;
- design reliability;
- the application of various decorative elements, such as engraving, does not reduce the resistance of products;
- the ability to decorate with any pattern, pattern or image;
- lack of seams;
- glass can be easily washed from dirt or water stains without the use of special tools, which ensures ease of maintenance of the structure;
- high strength of most products, especially those that undergo special processing in the manufacture;
- the dimensions of the showers are not limited to certain permissible limits; they are made of any size and configuration;
- safety of the glass coating, which is due to the specifics of the technological production of such products.
There are not many shortcomings in glass blocks for shower cabins, but the following can be distinguished:
- sometimes the manufacture of products requires the inclusion of third-party elements, which negatively affects the properties of glass;
- pricing directly depends on the type of glass.
Taking into account the above positive and negative sides, it is easy to make the right choice in favor of glass products.
Varieties of glasses
Glass partitions can be classified according to the following criteria:
- in form;
- material strength;
- leaf opening method;
- on options for strengthening the structure.
The first group includes rectangular, grooved and cylindrical products.
In appearance (degree of transparency) of the glass material are also diverse.
- Transparent - the most popular options. Through the use of such products, a classic shower design is defined. In addition, such materials are in good harmony with any style in the interior. Products have excellent light transmission, due to which they do not darken the room. They are also visually almost invisible. Transparent glass blocks can be filled with filler, which is used as a simulation of beautiful sea shells, exotic marine life, plants or color compositions.
- Frosted glass. Such partitions create comfortable secluded conditions in the cabin, however, without limiting the view and maintaining good properties to transmit light. There are several varieties of frosted glass: white and colored products. The latest options are made in a wide variety of colors, serve as a decoration of the design of the room. But it is color partitions that allow light to penetrate a little worse.
In bathrooms with a small area, when installing such products provide additional artificial lighting.
- Glass with patterns - products on the surface of which, using the method of engraving or sandblasting, a drawing is applied. This design looks airy, reminiscent of openwork lace.
- Stained glass products are unique products, thanks to which you can create an original and original decoration of the bathroom and shower. Such partitions and doors are made by individual orders. The image on the surface is the highlight of the whole design. The cost of stained glass directly depends on the size and subtleties of the applied drawing: cheaper models are designed much more modestly, in contrast to expensive products.
The strength indicators of glass for showers allow us to divide products into the following groups:
- ordinary material;
- strained glass.
The first group includes designs that are a budget, but not so popular option for showers. Glass has a beautiful appearance, long service life, does not scratch, and it is easy to care for and wash products. However, for the installation of cabs, such a product is not chosen so often, since the material is fragile enough, so there is a risk that it will break, forming many dangerous fragments.
Most often, for the arrangement of the soul, triplex glazing is preferred. A feature of the material is its structure, which suggests the presence of several layers of material with a polymer film between them. This production technology allows you to get a very durable finished product that can break, but there will be no sharp fragments. Due to such characteristics, the cost of production increases significantly.
Tempered products are made by heat treatment of ordinary glasses. Due to what the material is obtained, the distinguishing feature of which is strength. In the event of damage to such a product, there will be no dangerous edges near the fragments. The high cost of production is explained by the reliability and safety of structures.
There can be several ways to open the wings in the shower cabin: there are folding, sliding and rotating doors. Each method involves the use of special mechanisms to perform its functional tasks.
Strengthening of structures is carried out in a frame and frameless way. The first option provides maximum strength, even taking into account the use of thin glasses.
The latter method is a simpler cockpit device that allows you to design shower models for every taste.
Constructions and forms
Glass showers can have completely different designs. Often there are shower or corner cabins built into special niches. In private cottages they prefer to install freestanding options, which can also be supplemented by peculiar roofs.
Forms are not limited to traditional options , since glass partitions can repeat the shape of a square, oval or rectangle, and semicircular cabins are equipped at the junction of the walls of the room.
The pallet acts as the basis for the glass shower, the choice of which depends on the area of the room, the individual preferences of the owner. It is not necessary to purchase a pallet, since a plumbing shower bowl, especially for glass cabins, can be made with one's own hand.
Most often, acrylic or cast iron pallets are used , as well as bases laid out of tiles or artificial (or natural) stone. Products are easily mounted in their place in the bathroom and do not require special conditions, in addition to the most even surface.
To avoid the leakage of water outside the structure, the joints of the walls with glass partitions, as well as glass with the floor, must be sealed. Where the door will be located, a small elevation is built in the water of the side.
Very popular designs that combine glass products of various kinds. To do this, it is necessary to depict the future glass panel on paper, after which it is necessary to purchase blocks of the required type in the specified quantity necessary to create the walls.
Size is selected according to the wishes of customers. Shower cabins can be of standard dimensions, which are designed for one person, or of an increased size: in such designs, two people can easily take a shower.
Glass doors are made of tempered material, the thickness of which is from 4 to 6 mm. In some models, it can reach 10 mm.
Partitions can have the following sizes:
- height from 1850 mm to 1950 mm;
- width varies between 700-1100 mm.
However, such a characteristic as size has purely individual values, which depend on the shape and type of construction, as well as on the area of the room in which the plumbing installation will be carried out.
Which one to choose?
Today, the market offers a lot of different glass options for showers.
There are such varieties:
- bent products;
- glass block showers;
- plexiglass showers;
- hydrophobic products;
- refractory glass structure.
That is why when choosing the optimal material it is very easy to get lost in a huge assortment of types, shapes and colors.
Most often, consumers rely on their own taste preferences (in terms of product design).
But regarding the qualitative characteristics, it will be more correct to listen to the opinion of specialists and consultants.
In addition, there are a number of fundamental criteria regarding the acquisition of glass for showers.
- The bathroom remains one of the unsafe places in the living room, so it is necessary to protect households from tragic domestic accidents in it (especially if there are children in the house). When installing showers made of glass, you need to consider safety measures. The most acceptable option would be red-hot products, which can be decorated in any way: with various color and texture solutions.
- It is very important that the edge of the glass also meets the safety requirements. Therefore, all edges of the components of the structure must be sanded.
- An important criterion is the thickness of the material. The optimal value is considered to be an eight- or ten-millimeter version.
- Practicality is an important nuance for glass surfaces for showers. It implies ease of care, due to which an attractive appearance of the entire plumbing design is maintained. It is worth giving preference to polished surfaces, thanks to which you can use absolutely any means for body hygiene in the cabin, and there will also be no need to purchase any specialized compounds for washing the entire structure in the bathroom.
- An important criterion is not only functionality, but also the beauty and attractiveness of glass and the cabin as a whole.
How to care?
In order to extend the life of a glass shower enclosure (including the tray and the glass itself, used to equip doors and partitions), the structure must be kept clean.
To achieve these goals, there are several general recommendations.
- To ventilate and completely dry all, without exception, surfaces in the shower, after each hygiene procedure, you need to open the doors.
- To eliminate the occurrence of drips on the glass (as well as the formation of water stone), all accessories, curtains, accessories and glass partitions should be cleaned to the very top with towels made of cellulose (or microfiber).
- Abrasive cleaners and metal brushes should not be used for glass care (including all-glass shower structures). Since they deform the structure of the material, and (over time) after the regular use of such an aggressive method of cleaning surfaces, it will be impossible to put the products in order.
- Shower components that are susceptible to corrosion should be regularly treated with antiseptic compounds. If even slight rust forms on the parts, it is better to replace them with new ones. Close attention should be paid to the health of gaskets and various seals. Their wear can negatively affect the condition of the glass.
- Even minor damage to the glass requires replacement of the element. This is due to the fact that through microcracks and crevices, moisture and various hygiene products used in the shower, which are deposited there, get into the glass. Their presence violates the integrity of the entire structure, the process of formation and reproduction of fungus and mold begins.
You can find out how to wash the glass walls of the shower cabin from the video below.