Drywall today is very popular as a building and finishing material. It is convenient to operate, durable, practical, easy to install. Our article is devoted to the features and characteristics of this material, and, in particular, its weight.
Gypsum plasterboard (its other name is “dry gypsum plaster”) is the necessary material for the construction of partitions, the installation of cladding and other purposes. Regardless of the sheet manufacturer, manufacturers try to maintain the general principles of production. One sheet consists of two sheets of construction paper (cardboard) and a core consisting of gypsum with various fillers. Fillers allow you to change the properties of drywall: some can be resistant to moisture, others enhance sound insulation, and others give the product fire-fighting properties.
Initially, drywall was used only for leveling walls - this was its direct purpose, now it is increasingly used as a structural material.
The standard sheet width is 120 cm or, if translated into mm, 1200.
Standard sizes allocated by manufacturers:
- 3000x1200 mm;
- 2500x1200 mm;
- 2000x1200 mm.
Drywall has several advantages:
- Eco-friendly material - does not contain harmful impurities.
- High fire resistance (even with ordinary drywall).
- Easy installation - no need to hire a special team.
The main characteristics of drywall:
- Specific gravity in the range from 1200 to 1500 kg / m3.
- Thermal conductivity in the range of 0.21-0.32 W / (m * K).
- Strength with a thickness of up to 10 mm varies about 12-15 kg.
For high-quality repairs, it is preferable to have an idea not only about the options for using drywall, but also about its characteristics.
In construction, it differs:
- GKL. The usual type of drywall is used to create interior walls, false ceilings and structures of different levels, partitions, design elements and niches. A distinctive feature is the gray color of the upper and lower layers of cardboard.
- GKLV. Moisture resistant sheet. It is used in a bathroom or kitchen, on window slopes. The moisture resistant effect is achieved by means of modifiers in the gypsum core. It has a green cardboard color.
- GKLO. Fire resistant material. It is necessary for a ventilation device or duct when sheathing fireplaces, building facades, in boiler rooms. Provides enhanced fire protection. Contains flame retardants in the core. It has a red or pinkish color.
- GKLVO. A sheet that combines both moisture and fire resistance. This type is used when decorating baths or saunas. May have a yellowish color.
Why know the weight?
With self-repair, few people think about the weight of building materials. The drywall sheet is solid, has a certain size, and if the building does not have a freight elevator, the question arises of how to raise it to the desired floor, bring it to the apartment and, in general, move it. This also includes the method of transporting materials: whether the trunk of your car can accommodate the required number of sheets, and whether the car can support the declared weight capacity. The next question will be determining the number of people who can cope with this physical work.
With large-scale repairs or redevelopment, a larger amount of materials is necessary, therefore, transportation costs will already be calculated, since the carrying capacity of the transport is limited.
Knowing the weight of the sheet is also necessary to calculate the optimal load on the frame to which the cladding or the number of fasteners will be attached. For example, if you calculate how much the ceiling structure made of drywall weighs, it becomes clear why the definition of weight cannot be neglected. Also, the weight indicates the possibility or impossibility of bending the sheet to make arches and other decorative elements - the smaller the mass, the easier it is to bend.
Construction is a responsible matter, therefore there is a special GOST 6266-97 that determines the weight of each type of drywall sheet. According to GOST, an ordinary sheet should have a specific gravity of not more than 1.0 kg per 1 m2 for each millimeter of thickness; for moisture-resistant and fire-resistant products, the range varies from 0.8 to 1.06 kg.
The weight of drywall is directly proportional to its type: it is customary to distinguish between wall, ceiling and arched sheets, their thickness will be 6.5 mm, 9.5 mm, 12.5 mm, respectively.
Weight 1 m2, kg
GKLV, GKLO, GKLVO
No more than 12.5
10.0 to 13.3
No more than 9.5
7.6 to 10.1
No more than 6.5
5.2 to 6.9
GKL bulk weight is calculated by the formula: weight (kg) = sheet thickness (mm) x1.35, where 1.35 is the constant average density of gypsum.
Drywall sheets are produced in a rectangular shape in standard sizes. Weight is calculated by multiplying the sheet area by the weight of a square meter.
|View||Dimensions, mm||GKL sheet weight, kg|
|Wall, 12.5 mm||2500x1200||37.5|
|Ceiling, 9.5 mm||2500x1200||28.5|
|Arched, 6.5 mm||2500x1200||19.5|
When planning large-scale construction work, you need to consider how much material you need. Typically, drywall is sold in batches in an amount of 49 to 66 pcs. in each. Specify more accurate information in the store in which you plan to purchase material.
The number of sheets in a pack, pcs.
Package weight kg
These data allow us to calculate the number of packs that can be loaded into a particular car, depending on its carrying capacity:
- Gazelle g / p 1.5 t - 1 package;
- Kamaz with a payload of 10 tons - 8 packs;
- Truck t / p 20 t - 16 packages.
Gypsum plasterboard - the material is quite fragile, it is easy to break or damage it. For a comfortable repair or construction, you must follow a few tips:
- Sheets should be transported and stored only in a horizontal position, on a perfectly flat surface. Any debris, stone or bolt can damage the material.
- Plasterboard sheet is moved only vertically and only together to avoid vibration.
- When carrying it is necessary to hold the sheet with one hand from the bottom, with the other to hold from above or from the side. This method of carrying is very inconvenient, so professionals use special devices - hooks that make carrying comfortable.
- The material must be protected from moisture, direct and diffused sunlight, heat sources during storage and installation, even if it is moisture resistant or fireproof. This will help maintain the strength of the material and its durability.
- In the open air, sheets can be stored for up to 6 hours, packed in special material and in the absence of frost.
- At low cost and high strength, drywall is a very affordable material. The price per sheet depends on the type of sheet: the cheapest of all types is GKL. Because of its low price, it is it that is used most often. The price for a fire-resistant or moisture-proof analog is much higher. The most expensive type is a flexible arched gypsum board, it has an additional reinforcing layer.
- When determining the repair estimate, it is necessary to calculate not only the amount of material and its weight, but also the cost of the frame device.
- When buying, be sure to check the integrity of the sheet, its edge, the quality of the upper and lower layers of cardboard, evenness of cut. Buy drywall only in trusted stores, if possible, use the services of professional movers. When loading the material, check each sheet separately: being in a bundle or pile, the sheets may be damaged due to their own weight or improper storage.
Properly selected materials and a miscalculation of all the subtleties and nuances will allow you to avoid troubles and disappointments and leave only positive memories of the repair.
In more detail about the weight of partitions from various building materials, including plasterboard, is described in the video.