A shower cabin is installed not only in apartments, but also in private houses. This is a great way to quickly relieve fatigue, refresh yourself after a hard day. Unlike a bath, you do not need to preheat the room to receive water procedures. The features of the installation of the shower will be described in the article.
Preparatory stage, the selection of components
Before installing shower equipment, it is necessary to connect the house to an individual or central water supply system, to conduct sewage. Place the structure next to the communications.
Based on the area of the room where the cabin is planned to be installed, you need to choose a place for its placement. This can be the corner of the room, the center or the space near the wall. The final decision is made by the owner, based on personal preferences.
Waterproofing floors, walls and ceilings
After the placement is determined, you need to perform waterproofing work. If this is not done, after a month of using the shower, mold may form on the floor, and with a high probability it will be necessary to dismantle and replace the floor covering.
- First, the flooring is disassembled, then sheets of moisture-resistant chipboard or cement-bonded particleboard are laid.
- After covering the surface with a polymer film, glassine or other moisture-resistant material. One layer is superimposed on another in order to avoid possible cracks. You can use special mixtures based on bitumen. They are mixed with the liquid to a mushy state and the surface under the floor is smeared with the resulting composition. It can also prevent dampness.
- Next, a cement-sand screed is laid, reinforcing the base with a metal mesh. For insulation, you can lay a layer of foam under it, but then the design will become higher. After complete drying, stick the tile. Once the coating has dried, you can carry out plumbing work. It must be taken into account that the floor in the shower room should be 2 or 3 centimeters lower compared to other rooms. This is done so that water does not get into other rooms in case of leakage. If such a process is not possible, you should install a small podium yourself from brick, and then decorate with ceramic tiles or mosaics.
You can protect the walls from water in the following ways:
- sheathe them with moisture-proof drywall or cladding boards treated with acrylic varnish, primer or antiseptic;
- paint with moisture resistant paint.
The ceiling also needs moisture protection. The finishing material must be fireproof, reflect light, absorb sounds, environmentally friendly, resistant to water.
In bathrooms, a false ceiling is often mounted. It is easy to look after him, without special work it is possible to place lighting devices.
Do not forget about ventilation. Preferred system with forced air circulation.
This will help reduce humidity and stabilize the temperature in the room.
Selection of materials
Depending on the design, the shower can be with or without a tray. For a wooden cottage, both options are suitable. In the first case, the advantage is the convenience of using a shower, in the second - ease of placement.
If the area of the sanitary room is small, then it is possible to install a shower with a sloping floor. In this case, the pallet can be made independently brick or concrete, and then decorated with ceramic tiles.
Cabin flaps are made primarily of glass. For this, ordinary or hardened material is used. The second option is preferable, since it is more resistant to mechanical stress. The optimum thickness for glass elements is 6 mm.
Choosing a model of a shower cabin, you need to consider the following points.
- The dimensions of the structure should not create inconvenience during the reception of water procedures. An acceptable aspect ratio is 80 by 80 cm or 90 by 90 cm. The plumbing element should be placed so that 40 cm of free space is left on the left and right. From above, you also need to leave 30 cm in stock, since you may need to install a podium. In addition, a wooden blockhouse may shrink over time. These manipulations will help to facilitate the placement and further maintenance of shower equipment.
- The cabin can be square, semicircular and rectangular. When choosing, it is worth focusing on personal preferences or on the area of the room in which it is planned to install equipment.
- When considering the model, it is recommended to check with the consultant the nominal pressure of the equipment. It is desirable that it coincides with the water pressure.
- It is worth paying attention to the materials of which the structure and sashes are made. They must be resistant to mechanical damage.
- The shower can be equipped with additional functions. This includes hammam imitation, "tropical rain" or contrast mode. The choice should be given only to those functions that will really be applied. Each additional part not only loads the structure, but also increases its cost.
Installation of a shower cabin does not require much effort. Often, instructions are included with the equipment. If you follow the instructions in it, the process will not drag on for long.
First you need to prepare the room. To do this, install pipes for water supply and drainage. Wooden elements should be treated with an antiseptic.
Some corner models lack back walls. Such designs are designed to be installed close to the wall.
Next, you need to attach the legs to the pallet and install it, controlling the height with the help of adjusting screws. The horizontalness is checked by the building level.
Install the lower guides for the wings on the pallet. Fix them with screws, and process joints with sealant.
If there is a back wall, it needs to be fixed. Then connect plumbing equipment.
Wiring in the bathroom should not be open. All elements are hidden under special channels.
Then vertical supports and door leaves are installed.
After the joints are sealed. The hydraulic cabin is left open for a day until the smell disappears.
Connection to the sewerage and water supply system
Plumbing with a pallet and without it is connected to the sewer in different ways. In the first case, the connection occurs through the coupling of the desired caliber. The sewer outlet is mounted under the cab, but to get rid of unpleasant odors it is better to use adapters.
If the shower structure is located next to the riser, then use a flexible corrugation.
In the second case, it is still necessary to create a drain system. Drain pipes are installed under the floor and are connected to the sewer through an elbow that is hidden behind the podium.
It’s easier to connect plumbing to a water supply system on your own than to sewers. To make the pipes almost invisible, you must first create a plan for placing the shower room. The adapter for hot and cold water should be located so that the distance to the pipes is at least 15 cm, otherwise only hot water will come out. The diameter must be selected in accordance with the pressure of the water supply. The optimal caliber is 27-30 mm, suitable for both standard watering cans and the "tropical" version.
To make the shower room unusual, “not like everyone else”, you can use black instead of classic chrome elements. They will look especially impressive on a light background of the surrounding space.
If you plan to design a bathroom in a vintage style, then accessories should be selected made "antique".
In a classic or baroque style, details with a golden coating will look good.
You can also mount a shower seat in the shower, for example, made of brick and decorated with ceramic tiles. Actual for families with the elderly. For greater comfort, you can also build a handrail.
As finishing materials can be used.
- Ceramic tiles. The advantages of use are strength, resistance to water, a variety of colors;
- Mosaic for finishing a homemade pallet or walls. It differs in many shapes and colors;
- Marble is the key to beauty and durability. It will help to make any interior unusual. The disadvantage is the high price;
- PVC panels are a budget option, suitable for finishing ceiling coverings and walls.
You can put the corner yourself even in the bedroom. The main thing is to carefully consider the entire arrangement.
Before installing the plumbing, it is recommended that you first conduct water into the house and equip the water drainage system. So you can place the shower structure in front of communications.
If you can’t decide on a suitable design for a sanitary cabin, you can use ready-made design solutions found on the Internet.
Angular structures, although small in size, however, self-assembly is rather laborious at the same time.
It is recommended to purchase already created showers.
If you plan to create a brick pallet, then save on it is not worth it. It is better to buy a new one and moisture resistant than to use a used one. Over time, the old material may crack, and you will have to re-install.
To conclude all of the above, conclusions can be drawn.
- It is not necessary to spend money on a professional installation of plumbing. The installation of the shower room, subject to the instructions, can be done even by an inexperienced person in such matters. The main thing is to follow all the recommendations, and there will be no problems with the installation.
- When choosing a model of a shower cabin, it is worth focusing not only on personal preferences, but also taking into account the area of the space where the installation is planned.
- Be sure to install the plumbing before you connect the house to the water supply and sewage system. If the walls and ceiling are wooden, it is necessary to treat them with special antiseptics, acrylic varnish or finish with a cladding board.
- It is worth paying attention to the ventilation of the room for receiving water procedures, since there is a lot of humidity. It is recommended to install a system with forced air circulation.
- It is also necessary to take into account the functionality of the equipment, its nominal pressure and what material the parts are made of. Do not forget that additional options increase the cost.
- When creating a pallet with your own hands from a brick, it is better to use a new one. So the niche will last longer. You can decorate with ceramic tiles, mosaics or marble.
It is advisable to put a toilet in the shower. The insulation must be of good quality.
See how to assemble a shower cabin in the next video.