It is difficult to imagine modern homes without such an interior item as a computer desk. Today, this attribute has become an integral part of any layout and area. It's no secret that in our time, most apartments have a small footage, which forces the owners to select the appropriate furniture. For a small home, a compact corner computer desk will be an excellent solution. It should be considered in more detail what advantages and disadvantages such furniture has.
Varieties and designs
Today in furniture stores you can find not only standard corner tables of small sizes, but also more thoughtful and practical options, equipped with various useful elements.
- Some of the most popular and sought after are small corner tables with a superstructure . They have a stand for the monitor, a shelf for the keyboard, small shelves for speakers and a useful add-in, equipped with spacious compartments where you can store documents, folders, magazines and other similar things. This additional part is located directly above the countertop. Many users store on it not only important papers, but also various gadgets and office equipment.
- The second most popular are corner tables with a cabinet . As a rule, this additional part has a door that hides the contents of the cabinet from others. Such a table is often used as a desk, as working at it is convenient, it has a more suitable place for storing documentation.
- Depending on the exact size, the corner table can be equipped with a cabinet and shelves . In such designs, there can be either one or two pedestals (on the right and left side of the countertop). They usually also have drawers. Such furniture may have a slightly larger length and width, since a sufficient number of additional elements are present in its composition.
- The largest are structures with shelving . However, even such products can be selected for a small room. Of course, they will require a little more space than a standard design without unnecessary details, but using a table with a rack, you can refuse to buy a cabinet, which will take no less than free space in the room.
Compact corner tables are made from a wide variety of materials. You should consider in more detail the characteristic features of wooden, metal, plastic and glass specimens.
Models made of natural wood are rightfully recognized as the highest quality, attractive and environmentally friendly. Such furniture has always been valuable due to its performance characteristics. Today, furniture factories use such wood species as beech, hevea, pine, birch, maple, larch, alder, walnut or wenge in their production.
Such natural materials can boast not only a wonderful appearance, but also strength, durability and absolute safety.
Natural wood structures can be safely placed even in children's rooms, since they do not contain hazardous or toxic compounds. Even with temperature changes or in hot weather, the tree does not emit harmful substances. Today, such a quality is far from every interior item. However, this excellent material has its drawbacks. These include:
- High price. Not every consumer can afford such furniture. However, the most affordable options are from solid pine or birch, as they are not valuable species.
- Moisture intolerance. It is not recommended to place a corner wooden table in a room with high humidity. This can lead to swelling of the material and a hopeless loss of attractive appearance.
- Difficult care. It is difficult to say whether this is a serious drawback, however, many consumers attribute to the disadvantages that natural wood has to be regularly looked after. Periodically, a wooden table needs to be coated with antiseptic impregnations, without which it can dry out, crack or fade.
Wooden furniture is very expensive, and not everyone can buy it. However, there is a good alternative to such interior items - these are computer tables from chipboard or MDF. Similar products, like natural ones, are durable and wear-resistant. Of course, structures made of chipboard and MDF have their drawbacks:
- Weak design. Most designs from such raw materials have a simple and boring appearance.
- Eco-friendly features. It is worth separately mentioning the properties of such a material as chipboard. Few people know that it contains harmful formaldehyde resins. They stand out in conditions of temperature changes or in hot weather. These substances are dangerous to human health, so experts advise buying tables made of chipboard safe class "E-1" or veneered material.
Metal structures are the most durable, reliable, durable and not subject to mechanical damage. Such furniture can last for more than a dozen years, while retaining an attractive appearance. Corner computer tables made of such material are the most stable and reliable. The disadvantages of metal furniture include the following:
- Cold surfaces. The metal always remains cold, so touching it often causes unpleasant sensations.
- A lot of weight. Due to the heavy weight, metal tables can hardly be called mobile. If you need to move them to another place, you will have to be as careful as possible so as not to damage the floor coverings.
- Not suitable for all styles. Choosing such a table, it should be borne in mind that it will not be in harmony with all interior stylistics. Only modern trends are suitable for him, but you can forget about more elaborate, luxurious and classical ensembles.
Glass tables will look elegant and elegant in the interior. Such furniture most often has a metal frame, which makes it a wonderful element of the interior in a modern style. Models made of tempered glass are recommended for purchase, since this material is more reliable and durable, which, of course, does not exempt users from caring for it. One of the disadvantages of such furniture is its soiledness. Fingerprints and various things will easily remain on the surface of the glass top.
These designs are much less common. The main advantage of plastic is its wide color gamut, as it can be easily painted in any color. But in the sun, the saturation of colors may fade over time. It is also worth noting that plastic furniture is not the most durable and reliable, although it is not subject to decay. With a strong blow, such a table may break. When buying such small-sized furniture, you should familiarize yourself with the quality certificate to make sure that there are no toxic compounds in the composition of the material.
Advantages and disadvantages
Summing up, we can highlight the pros and cons that modern compact tables with angular design have.
The advantages of such furniture include the following characteristics:
- A spacious work surface, on which both a regular computer and a laptop or a candy bar will find its place;
- The most convenient access to add-ons located above the countertop. As a rule, all shelves and cabinets in such designs are at arm's length;
- A safe distance for the eyes, achieved due to the in-depth location of the monitor in such systems;
- The ability to place many other useful things next to you: documents, gadgets, office equipment, office supplies and other similar items;
- The possibility of using the corner space in the room allows you to significantly save square meters in the room;
- The use of furniture of a similar structure in a room creates a visual effect of a wider area.
There is no perfect product on the furniture market, and corner compact tables are no exception.
You should familiarize yourself with the disadvantages of such mini-furniture:
- The main drawback of such tables is that you can put them only in the free corner of the room. Otherwise, such furniture will clutter up the space and spoil the entire interior;
- It is not always possible to place a similar model near the window, which necessitates artificial lighting;
- If a small corner table is purchased for a child, then it should be taken into account that it will not be transformed or regulated, so it will not be possible to adjust it to the specific growth of the young user;
- The lion's share of modern corner tables is made of MDF, so they can not be used as dining areas, otherwise the material will quickly get dirty and lose its presentation;
- In many designs, there is a closed compartment designed for the system unit. Due to such an isolated space leading to a lack of ventilation, computer equipment can overheat and malfunction;
- Working at a table with an angular design, a person will always sit with his back to others, which for many users is a very unpleasant nuance;
- Corner tables always cost more than classic straight models;
- Even compact designs do not differ in mobility, so it can be quite difficult to rearrange them at a new place during relocation or repair in the home.
How to choose?
When choosing a small corner table for a PC, you should rely on the following criteria:
- Design. To get started, decide what kind of table design you need: with shelves, a superstructure or side drawers. This will allow you to find a suitable model much faster and easier, without spending extra money on unnecessary additional details.
- Material. Choose only quality products made from safe materials. It is advisable to see the quality certificate of the model you like before buying.
- Sizes. Be sure to measure the area on which you intend to place the table.
- Design. Do not forget about furniture design. The table should fit perfectly into the interior and be combined with it not only in style but also in color.
You will learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of a small corner computer desk in the next video.