Shooters, hunters, builders need special anti-noise devices that can protect the health of their ears and hearing. For example, the volume of pops when fired from a hunting firearm can be up to 120 dB, which is unacceptably dangerous for the inner ear and the health of the human nervous system.
Passive and active headphones are used to reduce the effect of high-frequency annoying noise to an acceptable safe value of 80-90 dB. Passive headphones are very powerful silencers, while it is impossible to hear quieter sounds in the environment.
To solve this problem, active headphones have been created. Their design allowed not only to reduce the volume during a shot and other sharp loud sounds, but also to increase the effect of quiet sounds, making negotiations with the team, instructor possible. In them you can even hear the rustling of leaves and crackling branches as animals approach. Active headphones have other advantages, as they protect the ears not only from noise, but also from moisture, bacteria and fungi multiplying in them.
The most popular and relatively inexpensive active headphones on the Russian market are Peltor devices. A variety of models of this brand allows you to choose the right instance for both professionals and amateurs.
To make it easier to navigate the wide range of companies, below are presented for review the most “bright” brand models according to users.
3M Peltor Sporttac Hunting (MT16H210F-478-GN)
They are the most expensive active headphones from the brand. To protect against hazardous noise, these headphones have an appropriate cup design made of plastic and wood with an additional foam layer to provide better sound insulation . They are able to drown out any passive sound , while reducing impact by 26 dB. The device is equipped with several front microphones for negotiating participants.
One of the main advantages is the possibility of continuous operation (up to 600 hours) without recharging. Headphones work from 2 AAA class batteries and can automatically turn off when idle to save power.
The disadvantage is the rather overpriced price, given that the ear cushions of the headphones are not very comfortable and with prolonged wearing can put pressure on the ears.
Peltor Sport RangeGuard
A more budgetary model is the flagship anti-noise headphones. A very convenient device for working with small arms. The noise reduction coefficient is 21 dB, that is, when fired, the device reduces the impact of sounds to an acceptable value of 80 dB. The duration of active work without recharging or replacing the batteries is 300 hours. The headphones are equipped with an audio input of 35 mm for connecting external devices.
On one of the cups there is a switch that is needed both to turn on the headphones and to adjust the automatic volume.
The battery compartment for the two AAA batteries is located on the other cup, and the microphones are on both cups.
The design of the headphones is very ergonomic, which makes them easy to fold - they take up very little space. To fix on the head there is the possibility of adjusting the length of the headband. The ear pads are quite soft. The disadvantages of the headphones are a rather large amount of side noise and a small delay in the first shot after switching on.
3M Peltor Optime III
Another inexpensive headphones of this brand that have increased functionality for standard active headphones. They have full jamming of high-frequency sounds due to the equipment of the cups with two-layer noise insulation.
The main advantage of this particular device is the maximum comfort declared by the manufacturer for prolonged wearing , because the rollers are made of soft materials, the outer side of which is made of eco-leather. This model is available in several colors, including bright colors to attract attention and increased visibility when working, for example, at road repair facilities.
Peltor Tactical 6S
It is worth paying attention to another no less common model of this manufacturer - functional headphones Peltor Tactical 6S. Surrounding impulsive sounds that are hazardous to hearing are instantly blocked thanks to a fairly high sound insulation (coefficient - 19 dB). The presence of several directional microphones provides not only a source of quiet sounds, but also is a guarantee of communication between other hunting participants or employees during construction work.
Unlike other devices presented above, the Peltor Tactical 6S is powered by 4 AAA-standard batteries, the continuous operation time is 250 hours. The process of changing the batteries is not very convenient, since it is not enough just to remove the battery cover, it will have to be completely disassembled. Also disadvantages are the inability to automatically turn off and the lack of a connector for connecting radio stations, players and other devices.
Nevertheless, the low weight of the headphones ensures their mobility and the absence of pressure on the head and ears when worn.
How to choose?
To choose the most suitable active headphones, you need to pay attention to several factors.
- Destination. Despite the fact that all active headphones perform the same noise isolation function, models for shooting at a shooting range, in the forest or for hazardous work can vary significantly.
- NNR coefficient. This coefficient shows the maximum noise reduction level. It works as follows: this coefficient is subtracted from the volume of the affected noise, resulting in a real sound that the ear hears. The greater the noise reduction coefficient, the quieter the sound of the resulting noise will be. This characteristic is most important when choosing a device, since it is a guarantee of hearing protection. It must be remembered that a volume of up to 95 dB is acceptable without damage to health.
- The quality and quantity of microphones. Microphones are needed in order to pick up low-frequency sounds (people talking, noise from approaching animals, insects). It is desirable that the direction of the microphones can be adjusted.
- Ergonomics For professionals, absolutely everything is important: the weight of the device, its dimensions, the ability to easily fold, compactness, access to the battery compartment. Obviously, lighter and more compact headphones will be much more convenient when carrying and wearing on the head.
- Convenience. Good active headphones should not cause discomfort during prolonged use, so soft ear cushions, the ability to adjust the length of the headband, and a design that will not squeeze anything will be desirable characteristics. At the same time, the headphones should protect from wind, rain, dirt entering the ears.
- Additional functions. Simple active headphones can be supplemented with various devices, making it a multifunctional device. For example, they can be equipped with a 35 mm jack for connecting multimedia devices. Functionality can also be manifested in the ability to change the color of the cups. More expensive models are equipped with a function of automatic shutdown after prolonged inactivity, as well as switching the noise isolation mode.
- Economical energy consumption . This includes not only the function of automatic control of the operating time, but also the operating time without recharging. Most headphones are powered by 2 or 4 "little" batteries.
The presence or absence of any of the above parameters always corresponds to the value of the goods. The most expensive will be those headphones that can be fully adjustable and have a higher NNR coefficient.
For a video review of the Peltor Rangeguard headphones, see below.