Shower corner is becoming more and more popular today. It is quite easy to install, and it does not take up much space. To make the right choice and buy a high-quality shower enclosure, you need to pay close attention to the recommendations of specialists.
A shower enclosure is a closed design, similar to a shower stall, but in a simplified version. It has two of the four walls that limit water - these are the walls of the room (there is an option with one wall and three glass partitions). There is also no top cover, functionally in the shower corner it comes down to a standard shower.
Due to the structural simplicity, the cost of such a convenience is reduced, and the small dimensions make the installation of a shower corner possible in almost any bathroom.
Advantages and disadvantages
Design features determine the operational specifics of the shower enclosure, which, in turn, affects the positive and negative aspects of this convenience. This plumbing equipment is characterized by significant advantages.
- Simplicity of design. Provides several beneficial features.
- Ease of installation. The minimum number of components simplifies the methodology for creating a shower corner, the cost of effort and time for its installation.
- The cost of the product. The minimum set of plumbing: drain and water supply, a simple mixer, two or three polymer or glass walls, a pallet or its absence result in a small amount, more affordable than a new bath or shower.
- Simplified maintenance and component replacement in the event of a breakdown. The simple open design of the shower enclosure does not require much care; in case of a malfunction, you can simply replace the part without having to break the tile or climb into the narrow space under the bathtub, where work is much more difficult.
- Compact dimensions. A shower corner occupies the smallest space compared to competitors in this area: a bathtub and a shower cabin, which is very important for miniature bathrooms of the Khrushchev and Czechs and other economy-class housing.
- Operational versatility. In addition to the bathroom, the shower enclosure is also placed in other rooms, which is ensured by the availability of darkened and matte walls of the product. Often apartments with small bathrooms combined with a toilet are redeveloped in such a way that the shower corner is transferred to the kitchen, and the bathroom is reduced to the size of the restroom.
Variability of execution. With a shower tray, a shower enclosure allows you to draw water according to the height of the ledge, to bathe children or animals, soak and wash clothes.
The corner, made according to the floor scheme, has its advantages:
- It’s more convenient to use, no need to step over, you don’t have to cling to it, it’s easier to remove;
- Reduces injury risk from tripping over a side and falling;
- Cost is reduced - no need to pay for a pallet.
- Reduced morbidity. The bath is quite dangerous due to the height of the side, which must be climbed over a slippery surface, plus the pan is made of plastic with reduced sliding and may have a corrugated surface.
- Economical water consumption. To take a bath, on average, 2.5-3 times more water is consumed, which, if there is a meter, significantly affects the payment for utilities.
- Time saving. To wash, it does not take time to fill the bath with water.
Negative moments when using shower enclosures are also present.
- Soiled glass surfaces. Glass or polymer transparent walls without a special film will have stains from dried water and hands. Thus, the beautiful aesthetic qualities of the shower enclosure will be somewhat reduced.
- Rectangular products minus usable area.
- The protrusion of the pallet. With the doors open, the protrusion of the pallet remains an “invisible” barrier, regularly falling under the feet.
- The tightness of shower corners. The compact size also leaves a negative imprint: for people with complexion above average it will be inconvenient to turn, and it is almost impossible to raise the fallen soap or tube with shampoo.
- Less comfort. Taking a bath is accompanied by both a comfortable posture and a more pleasant sensation of relaxation, although the jets of the shower have a massage effect, which can be considered a good counterbalance in this matter.
- Requirements for adjacent surfaces. The shower enclosure can only be mounted to the walls and ceiling with alignment. Otherwise, the absence of a tight fit of the wall and doors will lead to the dampness of the walls and the appearance of fungal mold, and the uneven floor will lead to constant “reeling” of the shower enclosure with the tray. If the corner without a pallet when finishing the floor, the inclined level for draining water must be taken into account.
Cabin or corner - which is better?
A shower and a corner are very similar solutions for the bathroom. To understand the intricacies, it is worthwhile to conduct a visual comparison of the main parameters.
- cost - corners are sold at a price of 11 thousand rubles, cabins - from 17 thousand rubles;
- service life - the corners are characterized by the simplicity of the design, which extends the service life, the cabins use a more complex water supply system and more parts subject to wear, so the corners are more durable;
- maintenance - the design of the corners does not require maintenance, for booths, as well as washing machines, for normal operation a periodic inspection is necessary;
- cleaning - glass or a transparent polymer, like the back walls covered with tiles, are easy to wash, the acrylic composite of shower stalls is more difficult to clean, for the same reason fungal mold is often present in shower stalls, but it is not in the corners;
- mounting options - the corner can have a pallet or be floor, the cabin is installed only on a pallet;
- requirements for the installation site - for a corner, aligned walls and floor are mandatory; there are no special conditions for a cabin;
- universality - arranging a corner in any room, except for a bathroom, will require additional costs for surface finishing, a booth can be installed wherever there is a supply and drain of water;
- functionality - the corner is used exclusively for taking a shower, in the booth there can be various types of hydromassage, a built-in bath or sauna;
- reliability - the corners serve for a long time without problems, the manufacturer is important for the cabin, the cheap versions are constantly subject to repair and additional functions that do not work correctly;
- water filtration - ordinary water from the system is suitable for a corner, a filter is necessary for booths with a hydromassage, otherwise small nozzles will quickly clog;
- design - the minimalist simplicity of the corners fits into almost any interior style of both the bathroom and other rooms, the cabins have a specific design and in some cases, for example, when the interior is in a classic style, they will look out of place.
Shower enclosures are represented by a rather wide assortment, which can be distinguished by several criteria: the presence of a pallet, the shape of the pallet (corner shape), the height of the pallet, the material for making the pallet. And also it is possible to note various door systems: single, double, triple.
By pallet availability
Depending on the presence of the pallet or its absence, the location of the corner directly on the floor plane with a drain, the shower corners are divided into two types:
- with a pallet - in this option there is no need to carry out additional leveling and floor cladding with a waterproofing coating, it is possible to take a bath while sitting (depending on its height);
- without a pallet - especially in comparison with the corner on a high pallet it is characterized by convenience and reduced injury risk, excellent elegant appearance.
The shape of the pallet
From a geometric point of view, shower enclosures mounted on a pallet can have a different shape, while popular options include:
- square, rectangular: this form “eats” the useful area of the bathroom, but it fits very nicely into a niche or other opening in a room with a modern renovation;
- round, oval: corners with this geometry are better suited for standard layouts, where the streamlined shape does not impede free movement in the limited space of the bathroom.
The convenience and functionality of the shower enclosure largely depends on this parameter, conditionally they can be divided into two types:
- With an insignificant pallet: this option is very convenient, especially for people with physical disabilities, it looks more pleasant in appearance, requires finishing the floor before installation;
- With a medium and larger pan: a deep pan allows you to draw a certain amount of water in which you can take a sitz bath or soak things.
According to the material of manufacture of the pallet
The operational characteristics and cost of a shower enclosure depend on the material from which the pallet is made.
Different materials are used for production.
- Acrylic. The most popular option, excellent durability against pressure loading, will withstand the most dimensional users. Good combination of price and quality. Weak resistance to mechanical shock and scratching, this minus is especially relevant when washing pets that can scratch its surface with nails.
- Cast iron. Enameled products made of such metal are distinguished by excellent strength, but require special installation, and also have a high cost.
- Ceramics. The high durability of ceramic pallets is combined with excellent resistance to minor damage, very easy cleaning using any detergents. The negative aspects include fragility before shock loads and a long period of heating the surface: in a poorly heated room it will be washed cool.
- Steel. Enameled steel is characterized by high strength and wear resistance, the only big minus is the “drum effect” created by the water falling on the pallet.
- Brick. These pallets are laid out of brick, and then covered with tiles. They have excellent performance, from an aesthetic point of view, can be performed in any variation, limited only by the range of tiles and imagination. A relative minus is a rather lengthy process of erecting such a pallet, compared with other types.
Today, semicircular options, as well as a pentagonal model, are becoming more and more popular.
Shower enclosures can have a different overall configuration. The choice of a particular option depends on the free space defined for these needs, the financial side of the issue and other aspects. The necessary space inside the corner should be sufficient for normal showering in accordance with the user's complexion.
Common sizes of shower enclosures include several sizes.
- 90x90 cm is a standard universal option, there is enough space inside to wash one person with a thin or medium build with comfort. Such economists are in great demand due to the price-performance ratio combined with a very compact size. And also in connection with the mass production of products of this format, the assortment with a diverse appearance and various prices is very extensive.
- 120x80 cm is one of the common types of a rectangular corner, a more spacious and convenient option. It allows two people to wash their body at the same time, it is very important for young families, where, when going to work, everyone needs to wash first and right now. The price is in the middle category, easily fits in the corner of the bathroom.
- 80x80 and 70x70 cm - mini options for tiny bathrooms. With convenience in such a corner, only a thin person will wash himself, with an average build you have to make room. Before dwelling on such options, it is better to test the possibilities of being in it at the exhibition stand: turns and inclinations will immediately show whether it is worth stopping on a purchase or not.
- 100x100 cm - this option can be called the "golden mean" for one person to take a shower. It combines convenience and comfort with slightly larger dimensions than 90x90 cm. With variations with a low pallet and excellent design characteristic of this size range, the shower enclosure will ensure pleasant operation and will delight you with a stylish appearance.
In addition to the main options, shower enclosures are made with various sizes, which can be picked up at any specialized store.
The market of shower enclosures, as well as the market of shower cabins, is quite extensive, this type of sanitary equipment is gaining more and more popularity, so you should start with trusted manufacturers.
- Ravak is a large Czech company, the leader of its country in the production of sanitary ware. It produces showers from economy to luxury, high quality combined with a wide range.
- Koller Pool is an Austrian manufacturer of sanitary ware with an affordable price policy, an extensive selection and reliable quality is guaranteed by European certification of products.
- Eger is a Hungarian company that sells economy and premium class shower enclosures. Reliable quality of sanitary ware is ensured by modern equipment and high-quality raw materials.
- Among manufacturers of quality products, Cezares, Radaway and RGW can be distinguished. They have a high rating and many positive reviews.
How to choose?
When choosing a shower enclosure, it is worth considering a number of factors that are essential in its further operation.
- Having decided to buy the corner in parts, you first need to determine the size of the pallet so that it fits in the bathroom, and that it is convenient to be in a shower corner with such dimensions;
- the corrugated surface of the pallet reduces the slippage of the floor structure, thereby reducing the chance of injury from a fall;
- the best material for the pallet is acrylic, it combines good strength with an affordable price, heats up quickly and maintains temperature for a long time, increasing comfort;
- when choosing a pallet, it is important to check its strength, for this you need to stand in the middle: a high-quality pallet will not bend - it has stiffeners, and in the best option, except for four legs around the perimeter, there is a fifth in the center of the product;
- when choosing spare parts, it is better to dwell on the selection of components from one manufacturer, it happens that with the same sizes, parts from different manufacturers do not converge end-to-end, do not fit tightly and without play;
- choosing between glass and acrylic doors, it is important to remember that tempered glass is stronger and safer, it is easier to clean, although it costs more;
- the sliding door system can be of two types: roller and hook, the hook system is less durable, often fails, works less smoothly and requires more physical effort;
- doors coated with a special layer repel water and get less dirty, hands do not slide off them, as a rule, it is applied to quality products;
- choosing a ready-made shower corner at the stand, it’s worth trying to shake the design, the quality product is completely monolithic, there are no backlashes and gaps.
The creation of a shower enclosure consists of several successive stages, the implementation of which will ensure a high-quality result and will continue to delight you with its excellent performance and reliable performance. These include several required steps.
- Site preparation. First of all, you need to level the surface on which the pallet is installed, you can put a pedestal of brick, it will serve as an excellent support for the pallet, reducing stress points and distributing weight over the entire plane. Between the brickwork and the pallet there should be a rubber layer that prevents damage to the product from movement. If the corner does not imply the presence of a factory pallet, you need to equip the floor plane to drain or create a container of brick and tile (brick pallet).
- Arrangement of sewage. When using a corner with a low sump, you will either have to break the floor if there is no drain, and install pipes, or build a pedestal inside which a flat siphon and drain pipes will be located. After supplying the sewage system, the drainage of the pallet is connected to it, during its installation it is necessary to use a sealant that provides reliable waterproofing of the space at the corner.
- Wireframe. Metal strips supporting glass or polymer doors are connected into a single skeleton, they are attached to the wall with self-tapping screws and dowels, and the working holes are also treated with sealant.
- Walls are put on the frame. This should be done very carefully, the fall of an acrylic product will most likely lead to a crack, tempered glass with a strong impact can also crack, scratches are another installation problem. A seal is attached along the edges, the doors are placed on a sliding mechanism, if opening them causes difficulties - the mechanism needs to be adjusted. All metal elements subject to corrosion are treated with a sealant.
When buying a shower enclosure in parts for subsequent installation, you need to understand what are the main components of the design.
- Water pipes. Before starting the installation of the corner, cold and hot water should be brought to the place of work, it is better to prefer plastic soldered pipes. All related items: taps and fittings must be installed before mounting the corner.
- Drain. It must also be installed before installing the pan, before pouring the leveling screed into which the drain pipes must be built. It is better to give preference, as with the supply, to high-quality plastic, a diameter of at least 80 mm, a flat drain siphon is needed for low pallets, and a choice for higher pallets.
- Pallet. After completing all work on arranging the supply and discharge of water, a pallet is mounted or laid out, if the choice fell on a brick or stone. When laying, it is important not to forget about the level of the drain of the shower enclosure, which should correspond to the level of the toilet pipe.
- Doors This part is made of polymer and glass; according to the texture it can be transparent, as well as matte, containing additional decorative patterns. There are options for showers without doors, but with one or two side walls of the same material.
For a shower corner, you definitely need to buy a panel, a profile, a fence, touch mixers and more.
Beautiful examples in the interior
- An excellent combination of two-color tiles and planks on the Ravak Supernova shower corner, which harmoniously fits into the interior of the bathroom. The brick pedestal is equipped with a small pallet, the door consists of 4 segments: two fixed and two sliding.
- Corner KolpaSan Terra without a door with one fixed glass partition, the wall, painted in "water" color, contrasts well with the overall design in gray tones.
- A shower corner without a pallet with high bricks made of brick, combined with floor tiles with a similar texture, create an image bathroom design and serve as an excellent waterproofing, which contributes to the long life of the shower.
See how to choose a shower enclosure in the video below.