Castors for shower cabins are a complex mechanism by which door leafs are driven forward and backward. Often they break, and the wings cease to open normally. Properly selected fittings will help eliminate this malfunction.
According to statistics, casters and spare parts for showers and boxes come into disrepair as often as a waterworks. The reason may be either factory defects, physical wear or improper installation. Due to the special design, the mechanisms cannot always be repaired: either the necessary component is not on sale or the damage is so severe that it is easier to discard the part. Sometimes rare wheels with a slot are found, which are very difficult to buy. Therefore, instead of faulty clips, you have to buy new ones.
First you need to consider what the roller mechanism consists of.
It is a combination of five elements:
- sealing plate;
Most often, the bearing becomes unusable. Sometimes the cause of damage can be cracked plastic. Especially this type of malfunction is observed in budget models of shower cabins.
Castors for showers and boxes come in several forms. Depending on the structure, tension and eccentric mechanisms are distinguished. The first type is the most common and budget option.
It is a combination of four elements:
- rolling bearing;
- fixing and adjusting screws.
These rollers come with one or two wheels and are divided into upper and lower. The former are regulated by a spring located in the housing, the latter by an adjusting screw. Eccentric rollers consist of an eccentric, a rotor and a bearing. There are single and double mechanisms. Compared to previous parts, they are less common because they are more expensive and more difficult to regulate.
Materials of manufacture
Roller parts are made of plastic, metal, rubber, silumin or combined materials. Plastic mechanisms are cheaper than the rest, but also become unusable more often. As a rule, the price of a product corresponds to quality. More expensive models are durable and durable. Saving on rollers is not recommended, otherwise more complex breakdowns may occur. Suppose that if the selected parts were of poor quality and quickly failed, then the door leaf could easily fall out. Then the repair will be more expensive.
The main technical characteristics of roller products are:
- the diameter of the wheel, which consists of the outer diameter of the bearing (D) and the double thickness of the sealing part. Usually it is equal to 25 mm;
- internal gauge (d) from 16 to 18 mm;
- thickness ranging from 5 to 6.2 mm;
- removal of the roller mechanism from 23 to 26 mm.
Depending on the installation, there are fixed and rotary roller mechanisms. The first type is suitable for rectangular, square and diamond-shaped showers, because the doors open and close in a straight line. The second type is installed on curved door leaves that open in an arcuate direction.
How to choose?
The choice of roller mechanisms is very large. Externally similar details may actually differ in some respects. To choose the suitable option, it is worth taking a minimally damaged roller part with you. If the shower flaps are fixed to the tensioning mechanisms, then when going to the store, you need to take both the upper and lower parts, since they differ from each other.
When buying videos online, you need to focus on the external correspondence of the broken part and the picture on the site. First you need to take measurements from the damaged mechanism using a ruler or vernier caliper. Ideally, when a new part is fully consistent with a broken one. However, if the identical part could not be found, then you can buy a similar one, but with a smaller caliber, but not more than 2-3 millimeters. But a larger clip is not recommended to buy, because it may not fall into the corresponding groove in the guide.
It is also worth considering the size of the through hollow space in the wings. It is on every door above and below. Roller bushings are mounted in it. It is assumed that the caliber of this part of the part will be 2 or 3 millimeters less than on a damaged model.
When there are two fasteners in the rollers, you must first measure the distance from one to the other, and then between the hollow spaces in the door leafs. In this case, full compliance up to a millimeter is necessary. Otherwise, the mechanisms may not fall into the groove.
The offset length must also be taken into account. This parameter is especially important for semicircular shower structures: if new parts are smaller, the door will not close normally. Do not ignore the thickness of glass paintings. Despite the fact that the roller mechanisms can be adjusted, if the glass is of non-standard thickness, it is better to ask whether new parts will fit.
It is very important to pay attention to the bearing. From the correctness of his choice will depend on how long the roller mechanism will last. It is preferable to buy single ball bearings of the radial direction, bronze or ceramic. Steel parts can often become rusty. Ceramic models, by contrast, are moisture resistant, but more expensive than the previous version. Acceptable can be considered castors made of bronze. They combine the characteristics of the previously described species, but much cheaper than them.
In the case when only replacement of bearings is required, it is necessary to measure their caliber inside and out, as well as the width of the damaged part. In this case, all parameters must be identical. It is recommended to choose parts for which the axles are made of brass, and on top they are coated with nickel.
Really high-quality roller mechanisms should have the following characteristics:
- the bearing must be moisture resistant;
- wheels - to move freely along the rails without any difficulties;
- the size of the new part should correspond to the previous version;
- case - made of wear-resistant and impact-resistant material, it should not have chips, cracks or other damage.
A lot depends on the quality of the selected clips. If they are poorly fixed and adjusted, then water will inevitably fall to the floor. If the doors do not close well, it is very difficult to take a shower normally, and in the cold season you can even catch a cold.
Adjustment and Replacement
Replacing roller mechanisms is a straightforward procedure. The main thing is that all actions must be performed sequentially.
Before dismantling the door leafs, all interfering objects must be removed. The floor must be covered with cardboard or soft rags to prevent damage to the glass. It is better to remove the door from below. Be sure to carry out dismantling work with someone, so there will be less risk of dropping the door leafs.
Eccentric parts are easier to remove. First you need to turn them down, remove the door. After dismantling. The easiest way to remove the button rollers. Press the button until it clicks and first remove the bottom of the door. Then you need to lift it up to completely release it. After the doors have been removed, damaged mechanisms must be removed. If you can’t do it yourself, you can use a 10 mm wrench or pliers.
The installation of new parts must be carried out in accordance with the attached instructions. Before buying a roller mechanism, it is recommended to check with the seller whether it is included. Carefully hang the door leaf on the top rail. If there is a button on the lower roller mechanism, then press it, and then place the parts in the corresponding groove. Next, you need to adjust the details. Sashes should open and close well. Each mechanism can be adjusted using a screw or spring. The upper rollers should be adjusted first.
Using a Phillips screwdriver, rotate the corresponding adjusting screw on the roller mechanism , alternately moving the sash to the left, then to their tight convergence. A simple screwdriver and pliers are required to replace the eccentric parts. First you need to unscrew the protective cap of the roller on the lower roller mechanism (in some models this function can be performed by a clamping nut), then unscrew the clamping nut and remove the roller structure.
Then it is necessary to remove the door leaf from the upper rails, put the sash in a place prepared in advance, and remove the remaining parts. Next, install new videos, fix them. Then hang the door leaf on the upper guide, use a screwdriver to rotate the lower roller mechanism until the door is securely locked. When installing new parts, all actions should be performed very carefully. If the mechanisms are not suitable, it is better not to make efforts to mount them in a groove.
It is strictly forbidden to place the glass cloth directly on the ceramic tile or concrete floor , since it can accidentally slip and break. It is also impossible to move the doors by the handles, since these structures are not designed to be moved by this method, the handles can easily break.
Roller parts may become unusable for various reasons.
- Due to mechanical stress.
- Due to poor water quality. After each shower, you should carefully wipe the glass sash, pay special attention to the mounting points of the rollers.
- The presence of a large number of abrasives in the cleaning agent. This applies to chlorine and alkaline cleaners. When washing door leafs, it is necessary to use those products in which there are as few aggressive components as possible.
- Careless attitude to the doors when opening and closing. Any movement with force can lead to the failure of the rollers. It is strictly forbidden to slam the flaps and rely on them when taking water procedures.
- Poor quality parts or defective. Often, manufacturers of furniture, trying to reduce the cost of production, use low-grade materials.
If the door leafs began to close poorly, you need to adjust the rollers by pulling or loosening the corresponding screw. Or a foreign object can get into the slide, because of this the doors can also slide poorly along the guides. As soon as such malfunctions appear, they must be eliminated immediately.
In order to avoid frequent replacement of roller structures, you should be careful about the shower flaps , periodically inspect the rollers and lubricate ball bearings. Periodically, it is necessary to lubricate the mechanism with water-repellent or silicone agents. It is recommended to purchase parts from the same manufacturer as the shower structures.
Based on the foregoing, several conclusions can be drawn.
- Saving on rollers is not worth it. They can quickly fail. It’s better to overpay a little, but the mechanisms will last longer.
- Double roller designs for showers are widespread, but it is necessary that their size matches the hollow space in the glass sheet.
- It is desirable that the new part be identical to the previous variation. This is not always possible, therefore, it is allowed if the diameter is 2-3 mm less, but not more.
- The offset length must also be taken into account. This parameter is especially important for semicircular shower structures: if new parts are smaller, the door will not close normally.
- Before replacing parts, it is better to familiarize yourself with the instructions. It is usually included. This way you can avoid possible installation problems.
- It is very important that the mechanism can be adjusted. If this is not done, then the leaves will not be able to move normally along the guides.
- It is constantly necessary to inspect the slide, as various rubbish often gets there. It must be removed in time, otherwise over time the doors will no longer converge.
- When cleaning the shower cabin, it is not recommended to use abrasives, that is, products containing chlorine, alkalis and alcohol impurities. They adversely affect the roller mechanism. Only mild cleaners.
- After all preventive actions are completed, the rollers need to be lubricated. So they will last much longer. Silicone or water repellent is recommended.
If you comply with all these requirements, then you will not have to often change the roller mechanisms. To insert or replace such an element, following our advice, is not difficult at all.
For how to choose the right castors for the shower, see the next video.