The first association that arises with the word “cactus” is their prickly needles and a green trunk. However, many species of these succulents have excellent flowering. Let's consider what types of flowering cacti exist, and also talk in more detail about the flowering of these plants.
Species and varieties
In fact, all the cacti bloom to one, because this stage is quite natural for the plant. The fact is that not all copies can achieve the desired state for flowering due to inappropriate environmental conditions. Succulents (the so-called plants that can accumulate water in tissues, which include cacti) tend to adapt to a certain temperature and humidity. The types of blooming cacti that can throw buds in an ordinary apartment are amazingly diverse . Each instance of such a plant is worthy of special attention. We list the main types of indoor flowering cacti.
This compact cactus produces flowers of red, beige and even pink shades. The flowering process occurs in the summer and lasts almost the entire warm period. The buds circle the stem in a circle, and then the petals open. Mammillaria blooms like a crown. Each bud lives for about a day, but a new one immediately opens nearby. The size of the flower is small, it reaches only 1 centimeter. Summer heat with ultra-high temperatures can push back flowering until early fall. For Mammillaria to produce buds, she needs 16 hours of light per day.
If these conditions are not met even in the summer, then it is better to install a source of artificial lighting nearby.
The main condition for the flowering of this cactus is a small pot. This plant produces buds starting from Easter and ending in late autumn. In winter, these cacti are in hibernation, and when a little warmer they produce large beautiful flowers up to 8 centimeters in diameter with yellow flowers and a red middle. They live up to three days, then new buds appear. This cactus does not require serious care.
This plant blooms at home not so often. In order for this to happen, certain conditions must be observed. First of all, the winter peace of the cactus should not be disturbed. And in the spring more frequent watering and airing are necessary. If the flowers still appear, they exude a very pleasant vanilla aroma and fade after 3 days. They are yellow with a golden mean. The flowering period is about 4 months, approximately from May to early September.
This cactus with flat flat-shaped shoots is capricious, but it can be provoked by flowering with the help of high temperatures and humidity. The plant blooms from April to early September. The number of buds on the shoot is significant, but they fade in the same way as most cacti, after 1-3 days. Their color depends on the variety of this cactus and varies from light yellow to lilac.
During the formation of buds, in no case should you move the pot.
An interesting ampel cactus, which is distinguished by winter flowering. This process is not as long as other cacti, and lasts only a couple of weeks. Buds appear long before flowering. Flowers are formed at the tips of the stems and reach 5 centimeters in diameter. In order for this plant to bloom, it needs regular fertilizing with minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. As well as sufficient humidity and additional lighting.
An important factor in the beginning of flowering for a given cactus is its age. It should not be younger than two years, and some varieties prefer to give the owner of the bud only at the age of 3. It blooms once a year from May to early autumn. Often, flowering ends in the summer due to insufficient light. In April, buds begin to set on the opposite side of the sun. The buds open and do not fade within a week or more. Flowers of various colors: red, yellow, white.
Gymnocalycium does not require special complex care.
This cactus with long flat shoots blooms in early summer. The buds are very large, they sometimes cover the plants so that the stems are not visible. Varieties with red, orange and white flowers are bred.
The cactus, unprepossessing at first glance, blooms once a year for quite a short time - from late May to early June. The flowers are simply huge - they reach 12 cm in diameter, exude a sweetish aroma and are distinguished by a variety of colors: red, orange, yellow. Cactus is undemanding to care.
Peyote or living stone
Slow-growing cactus that can enter the flowering phase only after three years of life. It begins to bloom from late spring to autumn, a single flowering. Pinkish buds, small, appear only on the “crown” of the cactus.
During flowering, this cactus loves high humidity.
A very common type of cactus that blooms once in the summer. It releases a long leg, at the end of which a large white, orange, purple or pinkish flower blooms. It does not require special growing conditions.
These are the most common types of flowering home cacti, which do not require special care. Many of them have been loved and familiar to many since childhood, as they were common both in apartments and in various institutions: kindergartens, schools, libraries.
When and how often they bloom
Any florist engaged in succulents wants to at least sometimes enjoy their flowering, and it can be understood. Often, lovers do not observe this phenomenon even once in the entire annual cycle of a plant. The absence of buds depends on many factors.
- Type and variety of plants. Some specimens in their life will never bloom in the apartment, as they need a tropical climate.
- The age of the cactus. Young plants almost never bloom. Cacti usually bloom starting from the age of 2-3.
- The environment . Many cacti need a certain amount of light, moisture and oxygen. Not all growers comply with this, so they do not wait for flowering.
The time when the cactus blooms depends on its type and variety. At the beginning of winter, the plant usually prepares for flowering, since there are almost no varieties that bloom in winter. In winter, cacti have a dormant state, succulents gain strength before the flowering and reproduction period. The plant awakens in the spring when daylight increases. Most plants bloom once a year, when literally in one night buds appear on the trunks.
This is the main sign that soon you will see a fragrant surprise on your pet. The cactus begins to prepare for propagation, and it blooms.
Many cactus growers are also worried about the maximum number of days a cactus can bloom. You can find out about this by studying a particular variety.
Each cactus variety pleases the eye with its flowers, but one plant blooms a couple of days, and the other half a year.
How to make bloom?
Making a cactus bloom at home is not an easy task. The existing stereotype that succulents are unpretentious plants must be dispelled. If you provoke a cactus, you can make it bloom. Any amateur gardener can do this.
- Choose the right place. The vast majority of cacti need a lot of light. Their natural habitat is the desert, where they roast for days on end under the scorching sun. Ripsalidopsis and epiphyllum belong to forest succulents, being an exception. Particular shade or windows facing the east side of the house are more suitable for them.
- Do not turn the pot. This action can be carried out only in the fall, in order to avoid bending of the trunk. At other times, it is better not to change the position of the cactus, as this plant gets used to a certain insolation. A good solution is to mark on the pots, which will always help to know exactly how the cactus stood.
- Optimize your hibernation. In winter, cacti have a rest. At rest, they minimize photosynthesis. At this time of the year, it is impossible to install additional lighting sources nearby, but it is better to place the plants in a dark room, without forgetting which side they were facing towards the light.
- Provide optimum soil moisture. In summer, cacti should not be watered less than once a week. In winter, during a dormant state, frequent watering can lead to rotting of the roots. Therefore, in the winter season, you need to water the soil once a month, only slightly moistening it. With the beginning of spring, the procedure for spraying the cactus trunk with hot (about 45-50 ° C) water will be useful.
- Observe winter temperature conditions. Many gardeners think that since a cactus is an exotic plant, it needs year-round heat. This opinion is erroneous because a period of low temperatures is necessary for bud budding. And high temperatures only contribute to the active growth of the trunk. The best solution is to put a cactus on the insulated balcony in winter.
- Feed before flowering. If the plant feels great, then top dressing is an optional condition. When other factors affecting the lack of flowering are excluded, the experiment with fertilizers can be completely tried. Cacti do not perceive organics well, therefore, they are recommended to be fed exclusively with minerals. In stores, special fertilizers are common, which should provoke budding. However, many experts consider them unsafe.
- If nothing else had an effect, transplant a cactus. The last measure of plant exposure is transplantation. Do not buy a huge pot. Each subsequent dwelling should be a finger larger in diameter than the previous one.
All conditions for provoking the flowering of cacti are quite feasible. If you systematically move towards the goal, then your dream of seeing a beautiful flower on your pet will certainly come true. When the whole set of methods did not help, you can act on the contrary. Create stressful conditions for the cactus: do not water it a little longer than usual, move it to a new place of residence.
Perhaps the uterine plant will begin to prepare for reproduction, as it will perceive signals such as a threat to life.
Care for the flowering cactus must be correct. The further viability of the plant and the abundance of flowering depend on this. During this beautiful period, it is necessary for the succulents to maintain optimal conditions.
- Lack of transfers. Even if it seems to you that the cactus is already running out of space in the pot, the transplant should be left for later. By stirring a flowering plant, you can completely stop flowering not only at the moment, but also for subsequent years.
- No fertilizer. During flowering, any stress for the cactus must be excluded - both negative and positive. Fertilizers can provoke increased plant growth, which will adversely affect the further ovary buds.
- The location of the cactus should be constant. The plant prepares the buds for flowering for a long time, choosing the optimal place on the trunk for their formation. If, during flowering and budding, you expand and move the succulent, this can provoke a stop of these periods.
- The direction of the light should not change. Even a new curtain can ruin a cactus's flowering. This period is not the time for experimentation. The sun's rays should fall on the plant in one position.
- Optimum watering. During flowering, cacti should receive enough moisture. Water should not be too cold. Watering the plant in this period is better once every 3-5 days.
- Airing . During the flowering period, one must not forget about the influx of fresh air. Without oxygen and the movement of air masses, the plant may not receive the necessary stress for quality budding.
See how to make a cactus bloom in the next video.