Computer desks today are indispensable attributes of every home. Such interior items have gained such wide distribution and enviable popularity due to the fact that the life of a modern person is inextricably linked with computer technology, for which a separate place is needed.
However, the choice of high-quality computer tables largely depends not only on their configurations and design, but also on their size.
Nowadays, you can’t do without a computer table. These pieces of furniture are special in that they can be used in a wide variety of settings. This can be either a city apartment or a private house, or a small or large office, as well as a state or entertainment institution. Thanks to multitasking, such furniture can be safely called universal.
Moreover, such designs are often located in both adult and children's bedrooms, because today even the youngest users can effortlessly master the appropriate technique. A properly selected computer desk is perfect for both work and games and relaxation. These interior items are multifunctional, since they can be used not only for working on a laptop or desktop PC.
Often models with large and roomy worktops are divided into two halves. One of them is assigned directly under the computer, and the second becomes a written area. As a rule, such tables have impressive dimensions, but it is very convenient to use them.
Such widespread and demanded furniture finds its place in almost any room in the home. This can be not only a serious study or a schoolboy’s bedroom, but also a living room, a library and even a kitchen (if we are talking about a studio apartment).
To work and study at such a table should be as convenient as possible, so modern furniture factories produce many options that have a very different structure, as well as various indicators of length, height and width.
These parameters play one of the most important roles in choosing a suitable model of a computer table.
The fact is that, while working on a design of inappropriate sizes, the user will be very uncomfortable and uncomfortable. Moreover, the constant operation of such tables can cause significant harm to human health. So, working for a model that is too low, you will have to constantly lean forward and move the body forward, which over time can lead to serious curvature of the spine and stoop, let alone aching pain that can become your constant companions.
No less seriously, you need to approach the dimensions of the computer table that you plan to buy for a child. It is very important to pay attention not only to the width and length of the countertop, but also to the height of the structure as a whole. If you do not want to harm a growing organism, then the computer table for it must be selected correctly.
Of course, the choice of furniture of one or another size largely depends on how many items you plan to place on it. If there are not many of them, then it is quite possible to get by with a compact model with a small countertop.
If you are looking for a more spacious and spacious option, then its size should be appropriate.
How to calculate all sizes?
If you want to know the correct parameters of a computer table, then you should turn to a simple mathematical formula that many buyers use today in choosing furniture:
- To independently calculate the height of the computer table, you need to perform the following actions: height (in centimeters) x 75 cm (standard table height for PCs) / 175 cm = design height
- The width of the computer desk should not be too miniature. It is recommended to add another 30-40 cm to a specific parameter of a particular countertop. Thus, you provide for extra space for the nightstands;
- The minimum correct depth of the computer model without add-ons is 45 cm. Of course, if there are other additional components in the design, then this figure may be more, for example, 60 cm. The optimal depth of such furniture primarily depends on its structure and configuration.
Standards and popular dimensions
The standard dimensions of tables for PCs and laptops are recommended to be considered, starting from the most compact models. With the exception of height, other indicators are subject to change without any restrictions.
As for height, it plays one of the most important roles in the design of such furniture. An incorrectly selected option can harm not only the spine, but also the user's eyesight, since the monitor on such a model will be at the wrong height. Mainly choosing the right option depends on the position in which the person will be sitting.
Experts say that in the process of working at a computer table, the body should remain in this position:
- the back is straight;
- forearms - in a relaxed state;
- shoulders - not raised and not tense;
- muscles are also relaxed;
- the legs should be level and placed on a special stand, shelf under the countertop, or simply on the floor.
The classic table height for computer equipment is an indicator of 750 mm (75 cm). It is calculated based on the average growth of both sexes. So, the average height of men is 175 cm, and women - 162 cm.
If the user's height is very small (150 cm) or, conversely, too impressive (190 cm), then in such cases the following solutions will be a real salvation:
- chairs with adjustable height;
- custom design for individual sizes;
- countertop with regulation function.
As for the standard width of the computer table, there are several most popular options:
- corner options have a traditional width of 160-170 cm;
- narrow tables are available with a width of 120-135 cm;
- classic straight varieties have a standard width of 100 cm.
However, the design width indicators depend on several important factors:
- the minimum is 60-70 cm, and the maximum is 80-95 cm;
- the compartment for the system unit should occupy at least 20-30 cm;
- first take away a free place to place the curbstone and add another 30-40, 45 cm to the whole structure;
- products of angular structure must have a rotary space of the countertop, comprising 50-60 cm.
Another important parameter of a computer table is its depth. The main dimensions of the entire structure as a whole depend on it in many respects.
When calculating this part, the following nuances should be taken into account:
- tables that do not have add-ons, as a rule, have a depth of at least 45 cm;
- structures in which additional superstructures are present have a depth of 60-70 cm;
- corner pieces equipped with shelves most often have a depth exceeding the mark of 85 or 90 cm.
Many consumers are faced with the fact that they do not fit any model of computer desk from the standard range. In such cases, do not panic and get upset. Fortunately, today many manufacturers offer a custom-made furniture service. So, you can come with your sketch and measurements in order to order the perfect design of optimal dimensions. Of course, such products often cost more than popular display cases, but in this case the goal justifies the means, because as a result you will get the most convenient and comfortable computer desk.
In addition, multifunctional adjustable designs are very popular today. They are in enviable demand, not only because they can be easily adjusted to fit any person with any height and equipment, but also because they can be selected even for a compact home and save free space.
The table supports, tabletops and monitor stands themselves are adjustable. If you combine such furniture with comfortable adjustable chairs, as a result you get a universal tandem that all family members can work on, each time adjusting the functional designs for themselves.
Modern manufacturers produce a great variety of computer tables with different structures and functional components. Let us consider in more detail the most popular and sought-after options that today are found in many homes:
- Direct. These products are one of the most popular, as they were the first in the furniture market. Most of these designs have spacious rectangular countertops. They can be placed along the free wall in the room, thereby freeing up free space in the central part. It is recommended to arrange direct tables so that they do not block the passage and do not interfere with free movement in the room, since the presence of sharp corners of such furniture can lead to painful bumps;
- Corner These models are the second most popular. Their main advantage is that they allow you to save space in the room, as they can be put in a free corner. In addition, in them, as a rule, the system unit can be moved a little further, without cluttering the workspace. All items located on the corner countertop always remain available;
- Diagonal. Today, such models are enviable in popularity, because they look original and it is very convenient to use them, which is noted by many buyers who fork out for such designs. At these tables, the user can be located diagonally, and his face can be directed to a corner. Often these structures have miniature mini tables. Their minus is considered insufficient functionality. Bedside tables, as a rule, are present under the main cover of these models, and sliding elements are completely absent.
Diagonal designs most often have small countertops. The length of the side part in them can be only 60-70 cm, but more compact options are also found. These tables are rarely equipped with add-ons. More often in them you can find small bedside tables with drawers.
- Diagonal and perpendicular. Sitting at such computer desks, the user's face is sometimes angled, but he will always have the opportunity to turn to the wall or toward the window opening (perpendicular). These options most often have considerable dimensions, so it is not recommended to buy them for small homes. However, it is worth noting that diagonal-perpendicular tables are distinguished by functionality. They often have useful compartments with drawers, roll-out or built-in cabinets, superstructure shelves and other practical details;
- Rack. Thoughtful designs of computer tables, in which there is an additional rack, are very popular today. Most often, such options have considerable dimensions, but they should not scare and repel the buyer. The fact is that having such furniture in your room, you can save on the purchase of a drawer or bookshelves, because you will already have a shelf combined with a computer desk.
Examples in the interior
Today, every consumer has the opportunity to choose the perfect computer desk, which will organically fit into his home. At the same time, it does not matter what style the decor is made in. It can be an eternal classic, or a shocking avant-garde.
Today, corner designs of computer tables are very popular. They often combine several different colors at once. For example, the main body can be snow-white, and the doors of the boxes can be dark chocolate. A similar model will look interesting, even if it has compact dimensions.
You can put such a table in a rude light gray loft room with a milky gray parquet floor, laconic wall paintings and a dark round carpet on the floor.
If you like minimalistic but stylish ensembles, then you should look for a simple folding table with a snow-white tabletop and wooden supports. Opposite him, it is recommended to put a small stool in a similar version (with a white back and seat, as well as a wooden frame). Such a simple, but stylish tandem will look great against the background of a window with light Roman curtains. As for the wall decoration, it should also be light. On the floor is a dark laminate.
Fans of modern and progressive ensembles should look in stores for unusual laptop tables with straight wooden worktops and painted metal frames. Similar designs can be complemented by angular tall chairs with a full-length cover. As for the decoration of walls and floors, such furniture will look harmoniously against the background of dark walls with imitation of wooden bars and a snow-white carpet.
If you bought a black computer desk (any: angular, straight, trapezoidal), then you should know that you can not put it in a dark room. It is better to place such a model in a room with light or pale walls (both plain and striped) and fill it with white computer equipment. Lay caramel parquet on the floor. If there is a window at the table, then it should be hung with light curtains in pleasant tones, for example, pale pink or orange.
As for the chair, it is recommended to put snow-white models on metal frames near the black table.
A charming desk with free space for a laptop and comfortable add-ons with wardrobes will be the perfect solution for the student’s room. For example, an attractive, delicate beige model with soft green details will find its place in a cozy corner with delicate pink walls, a snow-white seamless floor and a light ceiling. Next to such furniture, a plastic wheelchair and abstraction wall pictures will organically look.
A delicate beige rectangular design with high superstructures and a slightly curved table top will perfectly complement the soft blueberry wall finish and a rough brown laminate with dark spots. To emphasize the shade of the walls, you can pick up a metal chair with a purple seat and back, as well as arrange decorative details of similar tones on this territory.
Hang white curtains or blinds on the windows, and dilute the ensemble with living plants in pots.
A computer table with a rack can be used not only as a working area, but also to divide the space with it. Most often, the owners of studio apartments turn to such receptions. For example, with a light wooden model with an open rack, you can fence off the living area with a green-yellow sofa. Unusually and freshly, such furniture will look against the background of snow-white wallpaper under a medium-sized brick or stone, as well as a rich chocolate floor trimmed with a semi-gloss laminate.
You can learn about how to make a computer desk with your own hands from the video below.