In a modern apartment, it is difficult to do without a shower cabin, which has successfully replaced obsolete bathtubs, and with its variety of types of design attracts an increasing number of buyers. At the same time, it takes up much less space, fits more beautifully into the design of the bathroom and has much more functions. One of the most important elements in this is the choice of accessories for shower cabins, which will ensure safety, durability and reliability of use.
Types of glass for showers
Separately, we should focus on the choice of glass for shower cabins, which is used in several versions, which differ in both design and degree of safety when using.
The most commonly used options are:
- ordinary glass - when struck, it splits into fragments;
- molded - more durable glass, which is obtained by special heat treatment (with the necessary shape);
- faceted - with a special processing of the glass edge, which makes it smooth and protects from cuts;
- matte - obtained by sandblasting, possibly with the implementation of all kinds of patterns;
- stained glass - is made by gluing various parts of glass of different colors;
- triplex - a special glass from several layers, resistant to shocks.
The main types of accessories and the rules for its selection
Currently, showers are made of plastic, polycarbonate and glass. Plastic is a cheaper material, but with prolonged use in conditions of sharp changes in temperature and humidity it loses its appearance. Cabs made of glass have a high cost, but also much greater durability, resistance to temperature extremes and reliability. When choosing accessories for cabs made of glass, you should be especially careful and take into account the fact that the glass is fragile, it collapses upon impact or deformation, which can be dangerous to humans.
Therefore, all elements of the hardware must not allow sharp shock and vibration of glass products that are used in the shower.
The standard set of accessories for showers includes several basic elements.
- Rollers. Used in cabin options with sliding doors. When moving along the guides, the doors should not have a side play that allows vibration, and also have a soft and even movement forward and backward.
- Sealants. They are used to provide tightness and to prevent water from flowing outside the shower cubicle. They are installed between the doors, the panels, the walls of the bathroom and the panels of the shower cubicle. At the same time, they should fit snugly to the connected products, not to lose their properties with changes in temperature and humidity indicators, otherwise water will inevitably leak out of the shower cabin.
- Door hinges. They are used to provide door opening. In this case, the hinges should hold the glass door tightly enough, preventing its cracking. It is also necessary to take into account the fact that glass doors, unlike plastic ones, have significantly more weight, which will certainly affect the load of door hinges.
- Handles for opening and closing doors. They have a lot of options. One of the most common is a model combined with a lock for fixing the doors of a shower cabin.
- The lock for the door. Used to fix the doors and prevent them from opening. It is used separately, if not combined with a handle for opening doors. In addition, magnetic closures are often used instead of locks.
- Nozzles - additional watering cans of various shapes. Used in hydromassage modes, installed on the side surface of the cabin on special platforms. Often there is the possibility of changing the direction of flow of the water stream in different directions.
In addition, mirror mounts are used in showers, which are usually mounted on walls.
They should provide reliable fastening of the mirror in conditions of temperature and high humidity.
Materials for fittings
The most important requirement when choosing accessories is its resistance to temperature changes and the ability to work in conditions of high humidity. That is why the main preference when choosing accessories should be given to brass, aluminum, plastic options, as well as products made of stainless steel.
When choosing the material from which the sealant is made, it should be noted that the materials used for its manufacture (rubber, PVC, silicone, thermoplastic elastomer) have various advantages and also some disadvantages. For example, rubber seals have a low cost, but at the same time low resistance to mechanical abrasion.
The PVC sealing profile has significantly higher abrasion resistance and is not prone to deformation when exposed to temperature. Silicone products are resistant to various temperatures, do not crack and do not deform, perfectly fit to structural elements. Magnetic seals (silicone seals with magnet inserts) are also made from silicone, which ensure tightness between closed cabin doors. Thermoelastoplast combines the advantages of rubber, silicone, PVC, but is notable for its high cost.
An overview of accessories for glass shower enclosures can be found in the next video.