Who does not like the cozy and lively atmosphere of the house! Indoor plants - this is exactly what allows you to make any interior truly pleasant. If you want to dilute the decor with something new and unusual, then give your preference to colorful cacti. The name speaks for itself. Colored cacti are called unusual indoor flowers, which can easily cheer up or dilute a boring interior with their brightness and originality. Even a child will be able to get such a miracle and take care of it. More about this and much more in our article.
All About Dyeing Needles
First of all, it is worth saying that the process of dyeing cactus needles is completely safe both for the environment and for the plant itself. All you need to do is use a safe coloring agent during painting. As a rule, food coloring is used because of its safety and a rich color palette.
Most often, plants try to give bright colors. This is due to the fact that "poisonous" shades appear much faster on the plant.
If you want to become a happy owner of a cactus with red, yellow, blue or even orange thorns, it is not necessary to immediately turn to florists for help or buy a flower for fabulous money. You can easily give a beautiful color to a cactus at home. To conduct this "ritual", we need the following:
- small cactus (you can take "kids");
- pot for growing plants;
- substrate (you can take sand);
- food coloring of any color (a saturated bright shade is desirable).
First you need to mix the substrate with dye in a ratio of 1: 3. After that, fill your cactus pot a little with the mixture obtained and plant a previously prepared plant there. Add the remaining mixture of the substrate with food coloring. Next, you need to water the flower with water. As the water absorbs, the cactus spines will change color. After completing all of the above items, the staining process can be considered complete. Repeated or additional tinting is not necessary. It remains only to wait for the result. This may take several years. However, after 2-3 months it will already be possible to observe a slight staining of the needles.
Experts recommend choosing a small-sized cactus for coloring, which will not grow quickly after painting its spines. An important role in this case is played by the features of watering the plant. Also, in large subspecies, spines grow much more slowly, and over time they become covered with a thick crust.
It is almost impossible for such needles to give a different color artificially.
Colored cacti in nature: an overview
Our planet is huge, and what can not be found on it - multi-colored succulents are no exception. In nature, cacti are found with the most diverse shade of needles and heads. We bring to your attention some of the most striking representatives of multi-colored cacti. Let's see what types of colored cacti exist.
The birthplace of cactus is Mexico. This species usually has white needles. They completely cover the entire stem and protect the plant from direct sunlight. The shoot itself has a rounded shape and is divided into several sectors. It is important to note that the color of the needles is preserved only if the plant receives a sufficient amount of solar heat.
The trunk is spherical, red, includes several sectors. The thorns are long in shape and are arranged in bunches on the stem. Also painted red.
In this case, the barrel itself has a blue color. The needles are either white or light green. In order for a cactus to always have such an unusual color, it is necessary to carefully monitor its habitat.
Geometry with black needles
The stem is blue in color. Requires proper personal care. It grows only in rocky soil.
He loves sunbathing, as he tolerates direct sunlight on the stem.
Geometry with yellow needles
It is worth noting that the color of the needles can be different shades of yellow. The barrel itself is painted in a pleasant shade of green for the eyes.
The plant is native to the Land of the Rising Sun. It was bred artificially in 1941. There is the following varieties of shades of the cactus trunk: pale and bright pink, cream, purple, red, yellow.
Originally from Mexico. In nature, you can find such a plant measuring more than 100 centimeters in diameter and in height. Unlike many other subspecies, this one is rather unpretentious in leaving. The color of the spines is saturated yellow. Succulent blooms extremely rarely, but the flowering period itself usually falls in the summer season.
Flowers are usually solitary with narrow yellow petals.
By nature, this cactus has an unusual appearance. You can find two varieties of astrophytum: speckled and stellate. At home, it is almost impossible to grow such a flower. He painfully tolerates direct sunlight, which is why he needs to grow in shady areas.
It’s worth saying right away that colored cacti require a lot of attention. Caring for them is quite difficult. They are capricious precisely because of their bright appearance. No matter how the plant acquired its color (artificial or natural), it is necessary to pay due attention to it. For all varieties of succulents, there is one set of rules for care. Having acquired multi-colored cacti, you should definitely follow the following instructions.
- Getting enough sunlight. In order for the plant to fully develop and not lose its bright color, it is necessary to receive a lot of solar heat.
- Prevent direct sunlight from entering the cactus. In this case, the rays of the sun do not threaten only the plant with white spines. It's all about its structure. Needles tightly wrap around the trunk and protect it.
- Infrequent watering. Everyone knows the fact that cacti do not like abundant moisture. Still, do not let the soil in the pot become too dry. If the soil crumbles, then you have to manually loosen it.
- Frequent feeding of cacti with yellow thorns. For such subspecies, top dressing should be done several times more often than for other subspecies. Feeding should be strictly in accordance with the instructions.
Particular attention should be paid to the rules for the care of plants, the color of the thorns which was given using food coloring at home. If you got yourself such a “pet”, you should not forget about the following recommendations from florists.
- Enrichment with moisture. Such flowers need to be saturated with moisture more often than non-color subtypes, but the amount of water should be much less. So you will be able to maintain the brightness of the needles and not oversaturated substrate moisture. For example, for plants with blue, yellow or pink needles, it is necessary to water with food dyed water once every 7 days. On other days, use plain water. This procedure is necessary if you want the needles to be a gentle shade.
- Features of transplanting multi-colored cacti. If you decide to transplant, then do not forget to pre-water 2-3 times a pot in the pot with water with food coloring, where you will transplant your “pet”. In the case of neglect of this stage of transplantation, the needles may lose their brightness or gaps will appear on their color.
Colored cacti, as a rule, propagate vegetatively. This is due to the fact that the seeds of such subtypes are extremely difficult to find. Moreover, this method of propagation is quite simple, and plants are grafted without any special difficulties. Usually for breeding choose a cactus stock, which will develop well, for example, echinopsis. As a scion, there may be a “baby” of the hymnocalicium or chamecereus.
The process of reproduction by a vegetative method is as follows.
- The "baby" must be separated from the mother flower. This is done with a smooth turn to the side.
- We make an even cut using a blade treated with an antibacterial agent. It is necessary to make a cut at the base of the shoot.
- Next, vaccination takes place. We connect two slices: just made on a scion, with already prepared on a stock.
- A bandage is applied for 2-3 days. It is best to use soft rubber. The dressing itself should not be too tight.
- It is allowed to use a cap made of plastic or glass. It is important that it is not tightly worn, and there is room for a full circulation of air.
- We create all the conditions for a fruitful reproduction process. Air temperature should be several degrees above room temperature. Watering should only be done with warm water.
After the entire process is successfully completed, it is not recommended to immediately expose your "pets" to a place where direct sunlight. Colored cacti do not tolerate them very well.
However, they can also suffer from a lack of solar heat, so you need to gradually accustom them to contact with the sun.
In the next video, the rules for caring for the hymnocalycium await you.