In urban apartments of Russians, you can often find pots with aloe. Its main advantage is that this absolutely unpretentious plant is completely not afraid of drought. And all thanks to the ability to accumulate moisture in their leaves.
Performing not only a decorative, but also a healing function, aloe is considered an excellent choice for home crop production.
A houseplant blooms quite rarely, but in natural conditions this process is common and common. Fleshy leaves release a long arrow from the outlet, which then forms an unusual flower resembling a spikelet. Inflorescences are tubular and are usually painted in yellow, orange or purple. The stem of the herbaceous agave is erect and rather branched. Its height at home reaches 70 centimeters.
On the lower part of the trunk, scars often remain, which remain from the falling leaves. The diameter of the sheet outlet is 80 centimeters. Its components themselves, walking in a spiral, resemble a sword in shape and are covered either with needles or cilia.
Typically, the leaves are painted in dark green or brownish green, and are also decorated with white stripes or spots.
The appearing peduncle grows up to one meter. By the way, due to the lack of the flower at home, some plant breeders consider the appearance of aloe to be quite unattractive.
Although in most cases succulents have medicinal properties, some types of plants do not benefit a person. For example, striped aloe is more likely to be poisonous. The most common type of aloe in home crop production is aloe vera. Assessing the medicinal properties of aloe, we can conclude that the ability to activate recovery processes in the human body is explained by its rich composition, which, in addition to the usual vitamins, includes essential oils, enzymes, polysaccharides and antioxidants. Aloe is considered an effective tonic and firming agent that has beneficial effects on human immunity. In addition, the plant successfully copes with numerous skin problems, from burns to boils and eczema.
All over the world there are more than three hundred different species of aloe, successfully developing both in the wild and at home. Some varieties of plants even reach 15 meters in height. Varieties of aloe are both medicinal and poisonous, performing a decorative function.
- Aloe motley is considered one of the most beautiful plants among existing species. The bush reaches a 30-centimeter height, has a short stem and long triangular leaves. Often motley aloe is called striped or brindle aloe, due to its unusual spotty color, which is a combination of two colors. In spring, the bush forms beautiful inflorescences of a bright orange or scarlet tone.
- Aloe folded resembles a miniature tree with a short trunk. The shape of the leaves, going in 2 rows, resembles a fan. Aloe "Marlota" in the wild grows up to 4 meters. The evergreen bush has large and wide leaves covered with red needles. During flowering, buds of a bright yellow or orange hue appear.
- Squat Aloe is a miniature perennial covered with light spikes and leaves of different shades of green. During flowering, small reddish flowers appear on it.
- The dichotomous aloe in nature extends to a mark of 9 meters. Its trunk is rather thick, and the plant itself resembles a tree. The leaves are covered with bluish skin and have needles on the edges.
- Aloe is strongly branched more like a bush with lots of lush branches. This variety is highly resistant to temperature fluctuations. However, in conditions of high summer temperature, the plant has to be artificially shaded.
- Aloe cap-shaped is a herbaceous perennial, whose curly stems reach a couple of meters in length. The leaves have an ovoid shape. White teeth appear on them on one side, and spines appear on the other. During flowering, the bush is covered with bright red flowers.
Some types of succulents have pretty funny names.
- For example, beautiful aloe , which is a herbaceous perennial, is covered with narrow sheets with spots and needles of small size. Flowering is accompanied by the opening of bell-buds.
- Aloe spinous looks quite miniature. The bush is decorated with hundreds of narrow leaves painted in a shade, which is a mixture of gray and green, and complemented by snow-white speck. During flowering, inflorescences of pale orange color are formed, resembling tubes in appearance.
- White-flowered aloe is a rare species of this plant. Its white flowers resemble the shape of lily buds. The aloe has no stem, but there are a large number of elongated leaves strewn with white speck. Aloe Jackson forms a bush with a short stem and narrow leaves, on the tip of which spines grow.
This variety can be distinguished by the presence of a wax coating.
- Aloe Desconigs is characterized by the presence of triangular leaves of sufficient length, forming a basal rosette. The color palette of the plant varies from light green to almost brown. Spikes are formed in the form of pimples. Aloe Haworthian does not need a stem, limiting itself to elongated leaves in a speck. In addition to light spikes, there are also hairs running along the entire length of the leaf plates. During flowering, neat flowers are formed on the bush, painted in pastel colors.
- Black-throated Aloe is also distinguished by the absence of a stem. The height of the bush is small - only 50 centimeters. Delta-shaped leaves of dark green color on the back side are abundantly covered with needles.
- Aloe spaced is characterized by the presence of a creeping stem, the length of which reaches 3 meters. When the plant is still young, its stem is kept straight, but over time, it tends to land more and more. Quite wide leaves are painted in a blue tint and are characterized by the presence of yellow spikes at their tips.
- Aloe mix at home does not bloom. The bush forms creeping shoots up to 50 centimeters long. Smooth and dense leaves are covered with small spikes. The flowers that form in the wild have a beautiful color, which is something between a red and an orange.
- Aloe Pegler does not stretch unlike other varieties. On the contrary, over time, the outlet takes on a rounded shape resembling a sphere. The sheets themselves in this case begin to bend. Flowers on the plant appear colored in red and orange.
- Soapy Aloe , which is also often called spotted, has either a short stalk or not at all. The leaves are painted in a traditional dark green hue and covered with brown spikes. During flowering, a long peduncle is formed, covered with yellow and red buds.
- Aloe Barbados has serrated thick leaves and a shortened stalk forming several rosettes. The plant itself is painted in a gray-green hue, but the border of the leaves has a light pink color. Barbadanceis Miller is often used by dermatologists to treat numerous skin diseases.
- Among the medicinal varieties of succulents, aloe vera , quite popular in the recipes of folk medicine, popularly called the agave, stands apart. During flowering, the plant is covered with bright red or orange flowers. As the name suggests, the succulent is reminiscent of a tree that can quickly grow to several meters. The meaty sheets in the shape of a sword are covered with small spines.
- Aloe awesome in its natural habitat grows to 3 meters. The upright stalk is covered with light red or green leaves, both sides of which are abundantly studded with thorns. Aloe present is better known as aloe vera. The plant has branching stems and fleshy leaves of a light green color. This variety is widely used for inflammation and dermatitis. Aloe acute is also referred to as medicinal species of this variety. The branching stem is covered with fleshy leaves, which, in turn, are studded with thorns.
How to choose?
When choosing aloe, of course, the first step is to determine whether the plant is acquired only for decorative purposes, or whether it will also be used for medicinal purposes. In addition, experts recommend taking into account the characteristics of the plate and the height of the bush. Naturally, a variety that grows in height to a couple of meters will feel bad on the shelf of a miniature rack. In the store, it is important to carefully examine the succulent, assessing the thickness and elasticity of the leaves, as well as the condition of the thorns. The thicker the plate, the healthier the plant. The trunk and leaves should be covered with uniformly colored skin, without spots, rashes and wounds.
In addition, you should check the condition of the back of the leaves, the trunk and even the roots - the latter should be a pure white shade. Therefore, it is better to take aloe, which is sold in a transparent pot, which allows you to fully assess the situation. During transportation of the plant to the house, it is necessary to ensure that the bush does not freeze and does not overheat. In the apartment, aloe is left for quarantine for 2 weeks away from the rest of the green inhabitants. Irrigation during this period is reduced to a minimum.
Having completed quarantine, you will have to transplant the succulent into a new pot with fresh substrate.
In the next video, you will find the top 10 most beautiful types of aloe for indoor floriculture.