An ornamental plant must be present in the garden, which will be the highlight of all the plantings. When choosing a plant that will play such a role, many are inclined to plant roses. And now hydrangea is also considered a very popular decorative plant. However, these are not the only representatives of beautiful ornamental plants; a peony may become the king of your garden. Such a decision will be very original and will give your yard an unprecedented liveliness. One of the brightest representatives of peonies is the Henry Boxtos variety.
Description and history of creation
Peony "Henry Boxtos" was brought to us from distant Canada, where breeders and bred this variety. This herbaceous ornamental plant is very versatile in use and refers to interspecific hybrids of peony. Representatives of this variety of peonies classify themselves as terry.
Peony "Henry Boxtos" has the following brief description:
- flower stalks are quite massive and have good durability; large buds are perfectly fixed on them;
- the leaves are light green in color;
- maximum peony height reaches 1 meter;
- shoots are straight, flowers are visible on their peaks one at a time;
- if there is a representative of this variety in the garden, there will be no limit to the delight of its appearance - the buds are presented in the form of a huge ball, their diameter can reach 20 centimeters; the middle of the cup is painted in a bright pink color; petals are characterized by a tight fit to each other;
- inflorescences have a very saturated scarlet color;
- the flowering process begins at the beginning of the summer season - such a plant blooms no more than 1 time; during flowering, a very pleasant aroma comes from such peonies;
- one of the advantages is a high level of resistance to frosty weather; peonies of this variety are able to survive even at a temperature of 35 degrees below zero;
- "Henry Boxtos" is also very resistant to various pests that can trigger diseases;
- usually representatives of this variety of peonies do not need garter due to strong stems, but many gardeners still resort to this method as an additional protection of the plant from strong gusts of wind.
There are several types of propagation of peonies of this variety, the simplest of which is the division of rhizomes. It is best to start doing this procedure at the end of the summer season. The process is as follows:
- from the very beginning, it is necessary to carefully dig up the shrubbery, after which the peony is removed from the soil; the root system must be cleaned of lumps of earth;
- after removing and cleansing the rhizomes, they are divided into several parts using a shovel;
- necessarily on each of the deletions roots and kidneys must be present;
- at the last stage, all the rods of the plant immediately after division are planted in open ground.
In the cold season, the plant needs additional protection, which will serve as a warming component - usually peonies are covered with sawdust, they perfectly retain heat; in some cases, lapniki are also used.
There is another way to propagate peony - cuttings. But it is used much less often in breeding this type of plant, since technically this process causes difficulties in its implementation.
When breeding peonies, they often resort to a method of reproduction using seeds. In this case, planting material is best sown closer to the onset of cold weather. The first seedlings are expected no earlier than 1 year after sowing. After this, the plants are transplanted again.
This method is considered to be very long, because the plants need too much time to form. Peonies begin to bloom 6 years after sowing.
The subtleties of landing
It is necessary to carefully consider the question of planting peonies and choose the most suitable place for their cultivation, since the plant belongs to perennials and can germinate for more than a dozen years. Therefore, the issue of the landing site is so important for peonies.
One of the main criteria for a successful landing is considered to be the right time of year. It is best to plant peonies in the spring. And also a mistake is not planting plants in the fall season. The landing site should not be swampy or in the lowlands , since such a site suffers from stagnation of water, this can very negatively affect the root system of plantings.
And also the site should be well lit, since peonies are very thermophilic plants.
Representatives of the Henry Boxtos variety are fairly viable plants that can quickly adapt to the climatic conditions of the region where they are grown. Such peonies are distinguished by their hardiness in arid places, they tolerate the Russian winter well, and are also quite resistant to a high level of moisture accumulation.
The plant owes such excellent properties to its complex root system, on which the so-called sleeping buds are located. The whole point is that they begin to function when their active representatives become unviable. Due to this, it can be said that the second breath opens in pions, which accompanies the good development of all structural components of the plant, and also this allows them to bloom intensively.
The soil must be selected carefully, as the conditions in it should cause a neutral reaction. Therefore, the choice of fertilizers must be taken seriously. It is strongly not recommended to resort to the use of peat. Such organics significantly oxidize the soil. To reduce the level of acidity, you can use liming.
Peonies are very well received in the ground with a significant proportion of clay and sand. Before planting, it must be well treated and drained. Feeding with a small layer is best placed at the very bottom of the planting hole, after which you can plant a bush. Small roots should be spread in different directions and covered with earth, the average layer should be 6 centimeters. Next, you need to water the plant abundantly.
With good care, peonies can bloom after a year after planting.
The nuances of care
Caring for representatives of this variety of peony is quite simple. You must adhere to some basic rules.
- Weeding. From time to time, the area where peonies are grown needs to be cleared of weeds. The main thing is to remove the weed between the shoots of the plant.
- Loosening. The root system of the plant is prone to build up, for this reason it is necessary to very carefully loosen the soil around the shrubs. At the same time, it is recommended to sprinkle the earth closer to the shoots.
- Top dressing. In the first year of growing peonies, flowers just need fertilizing to form a healthy root system. It is best to use fertilizers filled with minerals. After the flowering period ends, it is recommended to add reinforcing elements to the water for irrigation. Potassium and phosphorus are great for this role.
- Watering. The plant needs mainly moderate watering, only during the period of violent color does it require abundant moisture.
- Pruning. When pruning new shrubs, you need to wait. For the first time, this process should be carried out after bending the peony shoots, before the onset of cold weather. The stem of the plant is trimmed to ground level. In the warm season, it is undesirable to trim the shoots, as they serve as a power source for the root system.
Diseases and Pests
Representatives of the Henry Boxtos variety are considered very resistant to various diseases, but this does not mean that there is no threat to them. A particularly dangerous and common disease is rust. You can add gray rot to the same list. Signs of infection are quite obvious. It is immediately necessary to take measures and treat the plant with a drug based on fungicides.
Another disease that affects peonies is a circular mosaic. It is considered dangerous and can lead to the death of the plant. Signs - the appearance of patterns on the leaves of the bush. If you do not have time to treat the plant with a special tool, then it is better to get rid of the peony. Green soap is often used for treatment. The same treatment method is used to kill aphids.
If caterpillars appear on the bush stands, it is necessary to react promptly and get rid of them manually.
To prevent the disease, it is necessary to adhere to the following preventive measures:
- careful observance of agricultural regulations;
- sprouts of peonies when planting should be healthy;
- three times the treatment of peonies with the necessary drugs throughout the season.
Peony varieties "Henry Boxtos" a favorite among a huge number of gardeners. It has gained popularity due to its luxurious look and contrasting colors. Fans of these flowers always point to their unforgettable pleasant aroma during flowering, which serves as an excellent addition to the decorative plant. Peonies are also loved for the fact that they can forgive many mistakes when caring for him. Shrubs are not finicky at all and have excellent properties that are so needed for growing in the climatic conditions of Russia.
Florists also often indicate their longevity, which cannot be a disadvantage for a plant.
In landscape design, peonies are considered simply an indispensable component. Often flower growers make a light mix of peonies and conifers. It looks very impressive. And also beautifully shrubs can be seen on large flower beds or on lawns, creating a juicy contrast. Florists are also considered ardent fans of this culture, as peonies serve as the basis for creating beautiful floral arrangements. A huge advantage is that they can stand in the water for a very long time, decorating the room and fragrant with a pleasant aroma.
An overview of the peony "Henry Boxtos" see in the video below.